Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

GP UltraSport 40 ARF

Old 04-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Kevin1963

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GP UltraSport 40 ARF

I was browsing through a hobby store and found an older Ultrasport ARF ... not the new plus. I heard it was a pretty good plane. Retracts and all. I have it on hold. What do you think? Should I grab this plane? It looks like it may be a pretty fast plane. I have an OS46 AX ready to throw in it if I buy it. What kind of speed do you think it will hit?
Old 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Munkster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GP UltraSport 40 ARF

Yes definitely. With a pair of retracts and the right engine you'll have a heck of a speed plane.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Munkster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they fly great, one of the best sport planes out there hands down. I've flown them with everything from a 30 sized heli engine (OS32 and a TT36) up to a Jett 90LX, the TT36 one flew with a heli pipe and an APC 9x7, clocked with a handheld at a tad over 100 with gear up, it lost about 7 mph with gear down. with either of the 30s it took allot of runway to get airborne and it was very lacking in the power department if you had to do a go around.

with the Jett it only clocked at 130-135 (hard to overcome the drag at those speeds) but it was regardless of direction, straight up or straight down. needless to say as soon as you shoved WOT you could pull full up elevator and it would get airborne before the wheels had a chance to hardly roll. same when i had a 90 4-stroke on it.

kc
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kevin:

The only problem I might have with this airframe is weather or not the arf design takes away the wing leading edge back for about 4" and 2.5 wide, for ease of construction. This cut out takes a lot of wing streingth away in the Ultra and Super Sport arfs. Had Jett 50 LX in a SuperSport arf, sold it after around 5 flights as the wing was starting to crack at the center section. We pylon race these things, and the turns create a lot of G's. Finally came apart in the air powered by a slow OS AX. If you have already purchased this thing, be sure to reinforce the wing center section. Let me know how you did it, please. ENJOY
Old 04-13-2007, 09:25 AM
dirtmagnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they fly good. i have one right now for sale but if i can find a few parts for it i'll go back to flying it. i got a magnum .52 with a tuned pipe. it runs pretty good. its a good flying plane. the only complaint i have is since i fly off a grass strip i have to adjust the retracts b 4 every flight.
its a pretty fast plane i like it. plus it looks really really slick on a 2 foot pass down the runway at around 70-80 mph (just a guess) wiht gear up and engine sreamin.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Kevin:

The only problem I might have with this airframe is weather or not the arf design takes away the wing leading edge back for about 4" and 2.5 wide, for ease of construction. This cut out takes a lot of wing streingth away in the Ultra and Super Sport arfs...........
as mentioned above I've had quiet a few of the US40 ARFs and I've never had a wing failure, my last one flew for 6 or 7 yrs with an OS 70 4-stroke and then the Jett 90LX, if wing failure was an option, it would of defiantly happened and it didn't, i just a few months back gave the airframe to a fellow modeler and it's still in great shape. never had a single problem with any of them other then the stab/fin tips, they are plastic caps and they do come unglued and often lost in flight.

kc
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Kevin1963

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have money to buy a plane. Looking for something FAST thats still a good sport flyer. What do ya think, should I just in a get this thing? The only thing that weirds me out about this plane is the strange covering.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the foam covering is excellent, not the prettiest in the world but it's defiantly strong and allot more resistant to damage (punctures and such) then any film covering. if you wanted an ARF I'd recommend getting the US40, if you're up to building a kit, a Sig Kobra (for the 46 you have) or King Kobra, even the Kougar.

kc
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Munkster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kevin1963

I have money to buy a plane. Looking for something FAST thats still a good sport flyer. What do ya think, should I just in a get this thing? The only thing that weirds me out about this plane is the strange covering.
If you decide against it, PM me as I'll get. Thanks
Old 04-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had the kit Ultra Sport with a SuperTigre 45 on it. Retracts down and I was just as fast as my buddy with fixed. Pull the gear up and pull away like nothing.

Good, solid, fast sport plane.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 AM
dirtmagnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

does anyone here know where i can find a cowling for a US40. busted mine and i can't find one that i can get within 3 months. all cowling makers i called are around 2-3 months behind.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:17 PM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Ultra Sports are great sport planes like many others but for speed you aren't going to get it here. If you want to go fast cheap go for a Great Planes Viper.