Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New Patriot XL

Old 04-14-2007, 11:43 PM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Patriot XL

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all your advices. I am almost done with my Patriot XL and here are some pictures of the airplane. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Le fou
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63036.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	664607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46500.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	664608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21547.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	664609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21920.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	664610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd42885.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	664611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy36355.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	664612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt33832.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	664613  
Old 04-15-2007, 12:30 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Default RE: New Patriot XL

Looks like you have OS91FX for power. I upgraded the muffler to the Jettstream, more RPM and better high octane sound. APC 11x9 prop will give better efficiency than the MA. Flaps are very useful to slow it down for landing. I also use half flap deflection to shorten take off, otherwise tougher to do on grass runway. Don't forget to put on some air whistles from i4C for that turbine sound...
Old 04-15-2007, 09:40 AM
le fou

Kmtranmd,

Thank you for your comments. Actually, the engine is a Magnum 91 XLS - just a clone of the OS engine. I was thinking to upgrade the muffler but I will fly it first and then to the upgrade. Is a 11X9 not too small for this engine?

I also mounted the battery pack in the tail but I still have to add some weight to balance it at the C.G given in the instruction. I was also planning to mount the fuel tank at the C.G but I may just fly it like this first. Are you using the flap deflection given in the instruction? Same amount for take off and landing?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
kmtranmd

apc11x9 is great for this engine and the Jett90. I experimented with 11x8 for test flight, which gives lower top speed but trade off of lower landing speed for first few flights until you're used to it. You want to rev this sucker at 500 below peak, which is 12,900rpm with jettstream muffler on mine. If you fly off grass, you may not get away with 12" props, unless your runway is cut short like golf course putting green!
Regarding battery, I had to put a big 1600mah one in the tail and added some tail weight. You want to balance it per instructions.
For the fuel tank, just mount it stock behind the firewall. Location there is pretty close to the CG so no big deal. Don't bother with CG tank location and have to worry about fuel pump. The OS91 does not like fuel pumps. Tried that already and did not work well.
Regarding flaps, I use half deflection (about 3/8"-1/2") for takeoff and landing. Upside to takeoff with flaps is it will shorten your roll out and get you in the air quick off that nasty grass runway. Downside is your plane will want to "jump" into the air when it reaches good airspeed, losing that scale shallow jet takeoff. Full flaps deflection makes the bird more wobbly than I thought. You may want to put flap control on the dial instead of 3 position switch to play with small deflection for take off and a bit more for landing to suit your taste. Anyway, this is a good plane to test flap management on a propject. I have not been able to do high alpha position on landing like I can with my Cermark F16.
Final comment about landing gears. Make sure you get your nosegear as long as possible to help the plane stance as flat as possible. Mine came out slightly nose down, which helps in sticking the landing, but hinders takeoff a bit.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:35 PM
le fou

Hello Kmtranmd,

Thank you for your reply. I actually put a 1650mah battery in the tail and I still have to add some weight to balance it properly. I fly form a paved runway, so I might be able to use a 12" propeller. Do you think a 12" would be better than an 11" prop. on this airframe? I mounted my nosegear as long as I could, I even put a shim between the gear and the mounting platform, but it is still slightly "nose down".

Anyway, thanks a lot,

Le fou
Old 04-16-2007, 12:37 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: le fou

Kmtranmd,

Thank you for your comments. Actually, the engine is a Magnum 91 XLS - just a clone of the OS engine. I was thinking to upgrade the muffler but I will fly it first and then to the upgrade. Is a 11X9 not too small for this engine?

I also mounted the battery pack in the tail but I still have to add some weight to balance it at the C.G given in the instruction. I was also planning to mount the fuel tank at the C.G but I may just fly it like this first. Are you using the flap deflection given in the instruction? Same amount for take off and landing?

Thanks,

Le fou
Nice looking plane.... !

As noted, I from the photo it looks like your prop selection is a bit too big (is that a 13" ?)

11x9, 12x6 or 12x7 would be my choices. Perhaps try an 11x10 or 12x8 down the road. Keep in mind the engine is little more than an over-grown .61 and the prop selections will make sense.

If it were my plane, first flight would be with the 12x7

Bob
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM
kmtranmd

I don't have any experience with the Magnum 91 2c engine to know what it likes best for a speed airframe. I would consider starting with 11x8 or 12x6 or 7 for testing until you get used to it and then rip it with 11x9 for all out speed. The slight nose down stance is no big deal if you take off from paved runway, probably won't even need flaps if runway is long enough.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:20 PM
le fou

Hello everybody,

Thank you for your replies. The prop is a 13"6 but I was just using it to balance the airplane. The last thing I need to do before flying, is to break the engine in. I think that for the first flight, I will use a 12X6 or 12X7 then I will experiment.

Thank you for all your inputs,

Le fou
Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: le fou

............The last thing I need to do before flying, is to break the engine in. ..........
to each their own, but i always break engines in on a test stand, it's well worth the time it takes to do it and then you KNOW without a doubt that if there is a problem when you install to the aircraft it's with the fuel system.

kc
Old 04-17-2007, 11:23 PM
le fou

KC,

This is exactly what I am planning to do, I also like to break an engine on a stand before to fly it. I think that it allows you to make sure that you don't have any problems and to fine tune it. When you break an engine, do you wait that the engine completely cool off between runs? I have read mixed reports concerning that topic.

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
KC36330

it really depends on the engine. non performance engines i break in with the prop I'm gonna fly with, i find peak and then back off enough to keep it cool and lubed, the only cooling down it gets is the time i take refilling the tank. on performance engines (like the Jett) i use the prop i plan to fly with and as soon as it peaks, back out a good turn or two to wet everything and cool it back down some (keeping track of the RPM) and then kill it and allow it to completely cool. i then fire it back up with a prop 1" in diameter smaller but the same pitch and i run it at WOT leaned to the RPM i got off my flying prop, it'll still be a pretty rich setting but it breaks in the engine at the RPM i intend to fly at.

kc

EDIT: this does not apply to gasser engines, they have a break in all of their own.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM
le fou

KC,

The Magnum 91 XLS instruction manual recommends a 14X6" for break in. I am not sure exactly what prop will be my "definitive" prop on the patriot. I was thinking of starting with a 12X6" and then experiment. So, I should use a 12X6" for the first few minutes of break in and then use a 11X6"? Do you thnik I will see a big difference in performances if I use the recommended 14X6" for break in?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM
KC36330

myself I'd break it in with a 12x7 and do my first flights with that then experiment if i didn't like it after flight testing

kc