Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New H9 Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 09:12 AM
balsafire
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New H9 Sundowner

ORIGINAL: 69 roadrunner

I talked to hanger 9 today and they shipped the first 50 planes thats all they had i should have mine on 6-18-07 iam going with brellille gt46 it wts.is 51oz with ign and muffler just a little bigger tan the 26 I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED THE RUNNER
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 AM
69 roadrunner

at this point they have no time frame for more to come it looks like poor planing on there part 50 planes for the us as it has 3500 hobbie shops you would think they would start witk 250 to 500 units THE RUNNER
Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM
69 roadrunner

hello out there i got mine today and it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will post pics as i start the build. THE RUNNER
Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
canucksrc

Mine will be in tommorow Have a brand new Evo 26 sitting in the shop. Should be good enough for a couple of flights!

P
Old 06-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Trollmaster

50 planes? Might be better off in the long run to wait. These do look good but there is always something wrong with a new plane. Maybe the second batch will be of a different color scheme
Old 06-19-2007, 11:33 AM
canucksrc

I guess I was one of the lucky one's/Users/perrygauthier/Desktop/Sundowner.jpg
Old 06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
69 roadrunner

hey gus this is my first speed plane and dont know what kind of holding pwer i need for the servos any help would be great. THE RUNNER
Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 PM
MMcConville

I think there was some confusion on what was shipped guys. Probably 50 shipped the first day, but th ebalance of all of the orders shipped the next day. There are plenty out now, way more than 50.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Cyclic_ Hardover

I was reading over in the ARF section, the new regs on racing this thing. I called my LHS and cancelled mine. Not that I could not get the plane and install whatever I want but that whole thing really smells. I wanted to give this racing a try but the heck with it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 AM
canucksrc

I will be ready to fly here in the next couple of days. Mike was flying one a Joe Nall and the thing looked amazing in the air[sm=47_47.gif]

I'll get a video ASAP,
P
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
balsafire

I walked into my LHS today and found a Sundowner being delivered right then. I was second in line for it and the first guy bocked so it's mine. Man, this thing is all wing. I did a mock up and put it next to my H9 Extra 260. It has a 2" longer w.s. but looks tiny in comparison. I was planning on putting an Evo 35c.c. gasser on it as I was planning on going all gas. BUT, I still have a O.S. BGX-1 3500 that Runs awesome and the Evo is quite pricey. It comes down to this, which one will make it go faster. That's all I'm after with this one...BALLS OUT SPEED[8D]. I have always loved the Formula one racers but until now you couldn't get one in this size without spending $5000.00 or more. Hard to justify if you're not going to follow the circut and race competitivley. If The proposed USRA spec class for this plane comes to town we'll give it a shot. So, what does everybody think? Which engine for the most speed and which prop.

Go fast rookie looking for advice, and soon. I don't see this thing taking more than a week to put together. When you do the mock up you're almost there.
Happy and fast flyin' all,
Rod
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

I have been advised mine should arrive in a day or two. I have a nib Moki 2.10 I am going to install. Those of you who already have yours can you advise how much prop clearance there will be? I am guessing not much so it will probably require a short length high pitch prop. Any suggestions for the Moki? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM
blackboxhobbies

http://www.cermark.net/List.php?TID=41

I was thinking about the SPE 40cc. The cost is only $279.99. I know that it already fits in the cowl. Lighter then the Evo 36 and a whole lot cheeper. Just a thought. But a MARK 1.80(MOKI) might be the ticket. 12 oz's lighter and more rpm.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Rocky V.
My Feedback: (25)

Chief has these ready to ship, I'll probably pull the trigger if I can get some measurement from you guy's that already have them. I was thinking of the Brillelli 36GT, but it's 6 1/4" long and 5" wide, will it fit in the cowl ? Also it swings an 18x10, will there be enough clearance with the squatty gear ? Thanks in advance...
Old 07-01-2007, 02:52 PM
lanpc
My Feedback: (18)

Anyone put the Evo35Gt on one yet? What muffler system did you use?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 AM
twax4real

I put a 35GT on mine. It's a real tight fit in there. I had to rotate the carb a small bit, and I imagine it may go through cowls because the engine is so close to it and even touching in a spot or two. As for the muffler, I bought a Bisson Pitts, and cut it down to fit in the cowl. Should work just fine. I believe that is exactly what they did for the prototype. Hoping to do the maiden this weekend sometime.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:49 AM
balsafire

ORIGINAL: twax4real

I put a 35GT on mine. It's a real tight fit in there. I had to rotate the carb a small bit, and I imagine it may go through cowls because the engine is so close to it and even touching in a spot or two. As for the muffler, I bought a Bisson Pitts, and cut it down to fit in the cowl. Should work just fine. I believe that is exactly what they did for the prototype. Hoping to do the maiden this weekend sometime.
We'll be looking forward to a maiden report. I asume you used the heavy tubes in the tail and I was curious how the balance came out. My BGX is only about 6 oz lighter than the Evo. I was hoping to use the lighter tubes but probably won't be able too. Work and the adition of a new grandson(and the natural company that goes with him) have stalled my progress but I should have it done this weekend and maiden the next[8D].
Hope everyone had a great 4th.
Happy flyin' all,
Rod
Old 07-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the video on the website of H9 and on landing Sundownder seems to come very fast?
***FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Flyer95
My Feedback: (1)

You are right Kostas, I was thinking the same thing when I saw that video.
It goes fast for landing probably because it is very nose heavy with wathever engine they used for that Video?
It needs more weight in the tail or a lighter/smaller engine with a tuned pipe to be fast and land slower.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:41 PM
Harvey Kreit

Got one and put a YS DZ 160 in her running a 16x10 prop. New motor so I didn't push it but my radar gun got a 127 reading. Tip stalled on landing without a clue -- cart wheeled and died. Not sure what happened. She balanced perfectly, approach was perfect and whaap. The only thing I didn't do when detailing the plane was check the wing tips for wash out.

Lost a Goldberg Sukoi the same exact way once. Put another one together and been flying her for over 2 years with 150 fabulous flights.

Being a masacist, I bought another Sundowner and will try again next week -- I'm tempted to make it a bit nose heavy because she may have been a bit pitchy in the air. Not sure because the fuse has a relatively short couple. She's beautiful. Flies true and overall really cool and impressive.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
canucksrc

Thank sucks[] Not sure I could go out and buy another after that. I swapped out a Gee Bee for a Sundowner as I was afraid of landing the thing!

When I looked at the Vid of this thing flying I thought the landing was kinda fast and no so smooth. You would think that H9 would put one of the best landings on the site to promote the SD.

I'm away on a trip for the next couple of weeks and will report the maiden with Evo 26. I will add a video of the whole event.

Please let us know how it works out Harvey,
P
Old 07-09-2007, 08:58 AM
balsafire

Hey Harvey
Man, that really sucks but kudo's to you for giving it another go. As hot as that thing landed in the video I'm sure you weren't expecting a tip stall. I usually land a little on the fast side so I was looking forward to it. Any chance a wing bolt came loose and spun it in? I noticed when I mocked mine up that the bolts went in really easy until the bolt contacted the fuse side so I put a couple wraps of teflon tape on the threads. Sorry for the loss. Killing a bird on the maiden is the biggest heartbreaker in this hobby.
Keep us posted
Rod
Old 07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Harvey Kreit

Rod - wings were tight and she really slowed down nice and accepted a perfect glide path. But now that I think of it, the video's hot landing is probably saying don't slow it down because she will stall.

Next time I'll learn her stall habits up high and well before I land. But for sure, NEVER pull up that nose.

Harvey
Old 07-09-2007, 06:09 PM
reincarnate

A PM from Mike McConnville said that the flight on the vid was with the Evo 35GT. Already stated in another thread somewhere that this combo will make landings difficult and hot, and Mike said that there was a high straight across cross wind to contend with. My maiden with the 26GT will also be in a couple of weeks. My knee's is already a-knockin'. Oh well, fly 'em hot, land 'em hard. Otherwise, buy a sailboat.[X(]
Old 07-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Harvey Kreit

Mike McConnville - I'm going to try again next Sunday (I think) - bug me for the follow up. I don't get frustrated just angry when balsa, mylar and nitro out smarts me.

Harvey Kreit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.