Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Electric speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Electric speed

I have an old slope glider that I built 20 years ago, a Douglas Silhouette. Anyway a couple years ago I chopped off the nose and put a .061 on it and it was a hoot to fly. After crashing my electric pylon racer I threw the electrics in the nose of the sloper. I had to cut an d rebuild the fuse to fit a battery in it but the effort was worth it. Running at 45.000 rpm on the ground turning a 3.8X4.1APC prop she's doing 150mph plus. So far the only radar speed I've been able to get was 125 a half throttle....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27874.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	672276  
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Electric speed

I wanna hear it at full song!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:06 PM
evan-RCU

It does sound good... the wierd thing is the props are so small you can't really balance them but you can tell when they are out of balance at 45,000 rpm!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice little plane! How much does it weigh?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM
evan-RCU

Just under 20oz with a full battery ready to fly, those electrons add any weight???

It has a sheeted foam wing which isn't light but is very thin and strong.

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Very nice little plane! How much does it weigh?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. The Silhouette was a nice sloper in the 'day'. It looks nice with a prop and spinner on the front. Get us some video.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 PM
evan-RCU

It still is... here's the one I built last year, or was it two years, yeah, two years ago... with the newer batteries and servos and small receivers she flies even better...

The electrics were from the Cheetah, didn't fly at all, destroyed on launch...

Pic of a newer Talon too......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42399.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	672683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67454.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	672684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17892.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	672685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67938.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	672686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76167.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	672687  
Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Evan-RCU:

Anytime I see 45K, my interest perks up a bunch, a whole bunch. Our local gang looks down their nose at electrics, mine restricted to 3d foamys. As a matter of interest, what make and model elect. motor, controller and battery are you using. Think 150 mph may be enough to kick some local buts, if I can find something that will turne & grove to stick it in. They won't let me fly the foamy in fun fly contests because its an "unfair advantage". Wonder the reaction to a 150 mph pylon puppy. Am near lapping the field as is, would really enjoy sticking it to um with a electric!!! ENJOY
Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Evan-RCU:

Anytime I see 45K, my interest perks up a bunch, a whole bunch. Our local gang looks down their nose at electrics, mine restricted to 3d foamys. As a matter of interest, what make and model elect. motor, controller and battery are you using. Think 150 mph may be enough to kick some local buts, if I can find something that will turne & grove to stick it in. They won't let me fly the foamy in fun fly contests because its an "unfair advantage". Wonder the reaction to a 150 mph pylon puppy. Am near lapping the field as is, would really enjoy sticking it to um with a electric!!! ENJOY
What might really blow their minds is that you can do just that with a pint-size electric:

http://file.espritmodel.com/video/sunracerF5D.wmv

Take a look at this thing move!

MJD
Old 04-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Troy-RCU

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

It still is... here's the one I built last year, or was it two years, yeah, two years ago... with the newer batteries and servos and small receivers she flies even better...
Cool stuff. I am getting ready to break out the slope stuff now that I have a decent slope nearby to fly at. BTW, I meant the in the 'Day' by when I use to slope all the time...which has been a few years. I remember the Silhouette and Talon as nice flying ships. I spent many windy afternoons carving the slopes with them. I still have molds and wings from the glass ships I used to build.

So the Cheetah is no more, eh? It's a bummer that little beauty is hard to toss but your new toy looks like it is friendlier all around.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:36 PM
evan-RCU

The Cheetah was the victim of a person not paying attention to what he was doing, he had been chewed out slightly just before the launch for something else and when he threw it he must of slung it a bit side arm because it did a pinwheel type spin for 50' or so before hiting the ground. It was probably fixable but had given me so much grief in building it I just ripped everything out of it. The Silhouette has always been such a good airplane that I new it would be a good home to the electrics.

I like the old stuff because it flies good, has a wide range of wind speeds, and you can repair it easily if something happens.

Mega 16/15/2 motor, CC45 controller, APC 4.1X4.1 cut down to 3.8 or 3.9 diameter because I am running a small battery, a thunder pro 1500ma 3s officially rate 20C/30C but I'm told it's really a 25C/40C. There are new packs that are even better but I widened the Silhouette fuse just enough for the 1500... I think you could run a 4.1X4.1 but it wouldn't really give me more speed and it would really bump up the amp draw. As it is I have about 1.5:1 to 2:1 thrust on a 20 oz airplane...
Old 06-11-2007, 08:59 AM
evan-RCU

This week end I got to fly the E-Silhouette at the same time as my old modified Diamond Dust w/ MVVS .40 that has been radar'ed over 150 and the E-Silhouette, running a 3.7X4.1 prop, visably out accelerated the DD comming out of the turns. Once at speed they were close to the same speed with the E being just a tad faster... all straight and level. In dives or turning the E was much quicker. Electrics are the future!!!