Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Flooding carb on F20

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Flooding carb on F20

Old 04-26-2007, 03:04 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding carb on F20

I asked over in the Qand A forum and was told to either use a regulator or smalller tank. My problem is the Mag52xls carb on my F20 is flooding both on the ground and in the air. The tank I have under the canopy is obviously too high, but with the nose gear retract, I can't lower it. If I pull the carb line off w/o the engine running, fuel pours out. In the air, the engine will occassionaly deadstick when I throttle back. I assume the plug is getting too wet. I know the engine isn't running too lean. I think I have an 8 oz tank, which I was told if I went smaller, it may lower the tank enough to prevent siphoning. Have any of you guys had this same problem with this plane and what was your tank setup like? I have the older DC F-20, but I'm sure the newer F20 arfs (at least those with nose gear retracts) are setup similarly. thanks.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:29 PM
brewski

Default RE: Flooding carb on F20

I had the same problem with a OS 90 2 stroke. The tank was to high in that plane also. I put an onboard glow driver on it to cure the problem. I had it set up so that when the engine dropped below 1/2 throttle the glow plug was on. On board glow is really nice but does add the weight of a sub c battery.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM
jzinckgra

what size tanks is everyone running?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Trollmaster

Well, on mine I took the retract apart and made it work backwards with the arm facing forward and the wheel stil retracting aft. I mounted the retract servo right behind the firewall and the control rod was maybe an inch long. Works fine all these years. You don't have to have the entire wheel inside the plane, I have about half of it out.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably still have a small space where you can put a 2 ounce header tank. This would also give you consistant runs. Your carb draws from the small tank, the pressure line goes into the main tank. The feed line of the main tank is connected to the usual pressure inlet on the small tank. Works really well.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:09 PM
KC36330

a header tank isn't going to solve the problem as long as the main tank is above the carb like it currently is, you can either move the tank to above the wing over the CG and then run the header tank behind the firewall or i'd suggest the cline regulator.

kc
Old 04-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

I have the Juno F20 and the plans says to use a regulator or pump when using retracts.

Joe
Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 PM
jzinckgra

ORIGINAL: Joe Ortiz

I have the Juno F20 and the plans says to use a regulator or pump when using retracts.

Joe
Interesting. I didn't see that in my Juno directions. I'll have to look again.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
rcflyer1970
My Feedback: (212)

I have a similar problem with a PC-9 with inverted engine S/T S-61, fuel will drain when not running, I just pinch the line till starting, I lean the low end as much as possible and run the idle a bit hi and it is ok now, it used to flood in the air and dead stick with a normal carb setting when I would throttle back.