Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Trying again - couple of questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Trying again - couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM
buildflycrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying again - couple of questions

I do love to go fast, but 3D flying is more my speed. My 20 mph brain has trouble doing 100 mph. [:@]

Well I scrached out another "Wild Thing". This plane was designed for a .15 2 stroke but I put on a .25fx. Have to put the battery, receiver and switch in the back of the fuse and the elevator servo as far back as it will go. Now it ballances perfect (lead is for bullets).

Here are the questions:

1. What is the best shape for T.E. on these flat 1/8" balsa surfaces? I have heard that leaving them square is faster but the plans show rounded T.E.

2. What is the fastest prop for my .25 fx?

Here is a photo of my last Wild thing.

Thanks Bros
BFC

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11184.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	677596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19869.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	677597  
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trying again - couple of questions

1. The fastest TE is a sharp one. We often imbed 1/64" in ply in the center of the TE, so we can sand the balsa down to a very sharp "knife" edge.

2. When I raced the .25FX, we used the old style (wide blade) Master Airscrew 8x6 or the APC 7.8x6 props. They were the fastest for the Q500 style airframe. I would think they would be the fastest on the wildthing also.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trying again - couple of questions

ORIGINAL: buildflycrash

I do love to go fast, but 3D flying is more my speed. My 20 mph brain has trouble doing 100 mph. [:@]

Well I scrached out another "Wild Thing". This plane was designed for a .15 2 stroke but I put on a .25fx.

2. What is the fastest prop for my .25 fx?

Here is a photo of my last Wild thing.

Thanks Bros
BFC
Do you really want a "go fast" prop on this, or a prop with lots of pull at a range of airspeeds? Seems to me the WT is more of a medium speed hot dog aerobatic type of aircraft than a speed ship, esp. if you are using the original airfoil. But hey, I guess it's verstaile enough too. My first choice might be a 9-4 or 9-5 for this guy but that would of course be for the type of speed range I was implying. I built a of scratch built almost WT aircraft a few years ago in .15-.25 size and they were a riot. 8" OR 9" x 36" wing IIRC. The .25 was definitely preferred. Good sport combat plane.