Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

carbon props

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:19 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon props

hey guys

i received my carbon props from rocketrob today, i deflashed and smoothed out one already, i am waiting for one more part and i will run it on my ops 80 fan engine, i am impressed with the density of carbon fiber ratio, the prop is very stiff, took about fifteen minutes to clean up and then a quick rubdown with 1000 grit wet or dry paper under warm running water! will post pic in the am.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: carbon props

Very good! You're smart to wet sand them. If the dust hits the floor and you step in it, you could get a carbon foot print.......[]
Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i received mine yesterday also. indeed they are very very stiff.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:46 AM
RocketRob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The deflashing is definatly a bit of a chore. Good call on running water sanding/ballancing.

Get her ballanced out close by removing material from forward face. then take a small foam type paint brush and apply 1-2 coats of Midwest aerogloss dope to seal the surface and add a nice shiney black finish

I will cut one down to use as a pipe tuning club to circulate as a loaner if needed.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the tuning prop thing.. I chuckle when I pick up the 85% diameter version of one of Steve's D speed props I used on one of my .65's. At 6.95" diameter it looks ridiculous, like it already shed half the blades already. But looks don't count of course, just what it does. Not being a C/L speed flier, I had to get my head around starting an 11cc engine with a prop that barely sticks out from behind the prop nut/washer.. [sm=bananahead.gif]

MJD
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the prop looks like it's too short to hand start the engine, then you're in the ball park.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. Funny thing is, I did hand start it with that prop a couple of times. Warm, not cold starts mind you, I'd never even try to pull it through compression cold. I guess it needs more trimming!

Our basement laundry sink is the wet sanding tub for nasty itchy jobs such as prop deflashing. Never use it for laundry so why not (or do we, my wife scratches an awful lot..?). Centuries ago the Romans figured out the benefit of dropping your detritus into the water to keep it out of your olfactory/respiratory system.

MJD
Old 02-23-2010, 05:12 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm still trying to acquire the new OPS .90 bimetal speed/fan engine for these props.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP yup.. if it makes yah nervous its real close[:-] cant wait till thursday
Old 02-26-2010, 07:40 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it Thursday yet?[8D]