Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

150MPH WITH FOX ENGINE???

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

150MPH WITH FOX ENGINE???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150MPH WITH FOX ENGINE???

Is it possible to make an airframe to go 150mph with your stock Fox Eagle .40 engine?

Why I chose fox engine? Well its a very weak engine. if you can get 150mph in level flight no wind with a fox, imagine what an MB Profi would do lol[>:]

Kevin
Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 150MPH WITH FOX ENGINE???

ORIGINAL: SSGSPEEDMAN

Is it possible to make an airframe to go 150mph with your stock Fox Eagle .40 engine?

Why I chose fox engine? Well its a very weak engine. if you can get 150mph in level flight no wind with a fox, imagine what an MB Profi would do lol[>:]

Kevin
Maybe as nose weight for a DS glider..

Sorry, I someone had to!

MJD
Old 05-01-2007, 01:39 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Some Foxes fun pretty good...don't ask me which ones though?!

If you had one of the old "Quickie" .40's maybe 120-130 but 150?
Guess it would depend on the airframe...

I have an old .45 ABC...got it back in the late 70's...it's strong, but not that strong.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:52 PM
skull1971

Do the math!!! rpm X pitch,,,,etc.. the formula is on here somewhere.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:03 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Back in the 1988/89 time frame when I tinkered with the Fox Q-500 428 engine, no doubt I got the planes up to the 150mph range in level flight.

That is..... those times I got the engine to stage on the muffler and stay there without getting hot.

Not sure what a current Fox .46 ABC can do..... but who knows.

We do know, that a well prepared Shrike with a SJ-50 on it will make it up around 150 mph. So perhaps, a point of reference.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: SSGSPEEDMAN

Kevin
You really gotta love this guy a guy, brave stubborn hart. Next project will probably be trying to get 130 in the 1/4 mile out of a Hugo. Regardless, you just gotta respect the effort. Sorta like one of our very old racers that took a Hobbico Avi-Star of all things and cut the wing down to 40" and tweaked and ground on a K & B "Screamer" for about 3 years to beat my Jett powered racer, Jett 35 that is. He did finally get the thng up to snuff, and ourtun my little deamon. Then I stuck a Jett 60LX in mine and he is back to square one. Have no doubt, he will come back with some off the wall thingy and tweak on the thing and maby, just maby outrun the Jett at least one time. Then comes the puffed chest and the "I outran that @##$% Roger with a $90.00 engine. Never mention the several thousand hours of grinding and parts. Then Roger comes out with a modified airframe that exceeds the reasonable limits of the intended class and presents another hill for him to climb. We-all call this progress?? Donnna know? Just how long does it take to wear out a Jett anyway?? ENJOY
Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Do the math!!! rpm X pitch,,,,etc.. the formula is on here somewhere.
If only it was that simple. Once you achieve enough pitch speed on the engine/prop, there is that pesky airframe to consider..

However I bet it could be done with perserverance.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

If you could have an airfram that has the very low drag raito. The frame only weighting 2lbs, and a 3+ horesepower engine....
Well you never know.

As you can tell I love to push the envelope.

Kevin
Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 PM
skull1971

Sorry but that was just to see if the engne can turn said prop enough to reach said speed. Air frame and drag are a whole other can of worms
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

FOX engines are by far the worst engines I have ever dealt with. I bought 2 planes on RCU that came with them and eventually had to rip both of them out. The engines would stop running at the worst opportune times (such as during rotation or over the woods). Nobody at the field could tune away the problems and the fuel tank was set up properly too, so it must have been the engines.

In terms of reliability and durability of all the engines I've owned, it has to be 1) West, 2) OS, 3) Rossi and 4) MVVS at the top, then 5) Jett (sorry Jett-fanatics, my Jett .50 has started to poop out on me ) , then 6) Magnum and 7) GMS in the lower middle and finally 8) FOX
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If only it was that simple. Once you achieve enough pitch speed on the engine/prop, there is that pesky airframe to consider..
You're wasting your breath, if you read many posts in Speed forum, you find a disturbing lack of knowledge
Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think any other engine company has ruled over any AMA event for so many years straight. The FOX .36 dominated AMA C/L combat for over 30 years because of its' light weight [8 ozs] and it turned a 6 pitch prop well enough to do 120 mph hooked up to a pair of 100 pount test cables. The planes seem to pick up some speed from that point after the lines have been severed.
Jett and K&B came out with .35s and neither one out did the FOX, they never caught on. It wasn't until Nelson got involved that the FOX finally was dethroned. 99% of the RC community don't know about this little niche of the hobby but when it came to power to weight and toughness, FOX ruled for quite awhile....at least here.
The FOX COMBAT SPECIALS had tapered liners and great compression hot. Their RC .40 cousins did not have the same cylinder taper and would flame out after the cylinder expanded too far. For FOX, it was / is a question of being able to survive as a US based company that pays their workers a liveable wage, possibly with equipment that isn't as capable as what you find in the Oriental factories.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69

FOX engines are by far the worst engines I have ever dealt with. I bought 2 planes on RCU that came with them and eventually had to rip both of them out. The engines would stop running at the worst opportune times (such as during rotation or over the woods). Nobody at the field could tune away the problems and the fuel tank was set up properly too, so it must have been the engines.

In terms of reliability and durability of all the engines I've owned, it has to be 1) West, 2) OS, 3) Rossi and 4) MVVS at the top, then 5) Jett (sorry Jett-fanatics, my Jett .50 has started to poop out on me ) , then 6) Magnum and 7) GMS in the lower middle and finally 8) FOX

I would agree with the Fox its just a weakling compaired to today standards in speed. Thats why I chose the Fox for this topic. Its a crapy engine comparied to todays standard in speed, if you could get an airframe to do 150mph thats really good for a Fox engine.

Kevin