Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Nitro Planes Falcon 120

Old 05-09-2007, 09:00 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nitro Planes Falcon 120

Thought or comments?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/fa120nigasje.html

This appeals to me being a little larger than most planes of this design. I've got a pumped Webra 1.20 that may be a perfect for this.

Neo
Old 05-09-2007, 02:06 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Nitro Planes Falcon 120

Ya gotta love these guys.... there isnt even a prop nut holding the prop on in the photos...

The Webra 120 would be a decent candidate. But that is about the only one I can really think of.

The OS120 isn't any sort of RPM engine. OS 160, ST2300... who knows there.

Perhaps the 4-c crowd.... YS140?

G-26 ?

Needs to have a side mounted engine..... or at least capability for side mounted.

Prop selection may be slim - but at least there are 13" and 14" candidate props.

Nice that it has flaps and retracts.

As for me..... I think I will pass on this.

I did see they at least have a product placeholder for a Bobcat 90 - that would be more useful

(but WHAT is with the 3D size control surfaces ???? No need to be that big - just presents a flutter risk)

Bob

Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
NeoGenesis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone purchased from these guys before...what is the quality of the glass and construction like?

Neo
Old 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NeoGenesis

Has anyone purchased from these guys before...what is the quality of the glass and construction like?

Neo
Neo

I have their Bobcat 50. It is crap!
1) the covering is a poor copy of "ecnokote"
2) the landing gear mount failed no much glue and the small block is attached to the TE and against 1 rib
3) landing gear wires are too soft bend on every landing
4) non-lingual manual leaves much to re-engineer
5) had to re-glue blocks in tail booms hoiding the blind nuts
6) CG in manual was Wrong!!!!!!

they look nice but build KWALITY is spottey and materials sub-standard!

you can buy the Rich Modle Key-Cat for less and get mechanical retracts included. from AK models

Bob
Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
RLPageMD
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I called the number on the ad to ask some technical questions. The lady on the other line was nice enough, but had no clue. She kept asking someone behind her for answers. And BTW, when they say optional retracts, that doesn't mean they have retracts; it means YOU have the option of re-engineering for retracts........very misleading. Think I will wait for Mods to come out with his kit. Rick
Old 05-24-2007, 06:36 AM
bahamadude

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Slap a turbine in it.

All the way !!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Ya gotta love these guys.... there isnt even a prop nut holding the prop on in the photos...
ah but Bob did you notice it's a tractor prop too?

bahamadude i don't think a turbine conversion would be worthy on this one

kc
Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NeoGenesis

Thought or comments?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/fa120nigasje.html
This appeals to me being a little larger than most planes of this design. I've got a pumped Webra 1.20 that may be a perfect for this.
Neo
I took a quick look. Hmmm. Sure the photo model looks sharp, but..

"There's no other planes like the Super Falcon 120 today!" High quality laser-cut design along with unmatched performance from competitions, the new Super Falcon 120 is NitroModels' newest pusher jet and is one of the fastest jet in the world today!

What a pant load . What on earth does "umnatched performance from competitions" mean anyway? I wonder what it is about mfgs and their advertising that insists that anything that looks remotely jet like is by definition fast? A 1000 in^2 aircraft at 12.5 pounds on a pusher 1.20 might be "brisk" but it isn't going to create sonic booms. Besides, look at your available pusher prop choices.. where are the 12-10's?

Check out the hinge gaps in the picture. Also, that engine apart from having a tractor prop looks more like an engine image that has been pasted onto the aircraft photo versus actually being mounted there. In the bottom photo the engine seems to have tilted a few degrees CCW relative to theo others but who knows. Whatever, photo models are often not representative of production articles anyhow.

I am also sick and tired of copycat designs.. the primary reason I don't buy Great Planes products for one.

MJD

Old 05-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Trollmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a certain mentality from buying stuff like this from 3rd rate company's. First rule is "don't" but if you must, look at the specs. Fiberglass fuselage, 63"wing. Looks like a decent size plane. Just buy the darn thing and avoid communicating with them. Don't expect much and if it turns out to be better than you thought, great! Your dealing with telemarketers here. They annoy us daily, why call them, your just begging for it.

The other day , I went to Walmart and bought a new hard drive to use as a slave. I wasn't sure about a couple things but one thing i was sure of is that there is nobody working in Walmart that can answer my question. So I avoided it all, got the drive and called a buddy.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:06 PM
c hardy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, I've been reading the threads in relation to the Bobcat $139 retract ready. And the Kee cat, $199.00 with retracts
I really want one of these. The Bobcat is cheaper / retract ready. But is one a better quality model ?
If anyone has some qualified input before I lay out my money it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

C Hardy.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:01 PM
rcflyer1970
My Feedback: (212)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A guy that came to our field once had a Bobcat, looks good, I don't know about the covering, some issues like weird servo mounting, exhaust and it took awhile to assemble at the field. It was FX61 powered and flew at about the same speed as my SX32 powered Kadet Seniorita, the muffler can be a issue (pointing backwards some tuning issues may allso be carb intake reverse airflow), if you want to actually go fast a real engine will be necessary, availible pusher props may be a issue allso. Looks good and price is reasonable but it depends on what you expect and if you put some serious power in it with some modifications it may or may not hold together. Maybe a Byron reverser tuned pipe could be fitted to get some extra RPMs and rear intake engine but some mods will be needed.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Grodus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recently purchased a Quest 50 from nitroplanes. I was impressed with the quailty of the construction and the completeness of the kit, but I havent purchased an ARF in a long time. The covering looks great but it does need some attention. Carefully inspect the seams of the covering and go over them with the iron if necessary. The trim pieces will peel off at the corners easily so that may need sealing also. A few major hardware issues but nothing major. The AUW seems to be a bit underestimated on the nitro planes also. I have seen some of the Bobcat 50's that were heavier than nitroplanes claims. I wonder if 14lbs might be a bit more accurate on the Falcon 120.
I too am interested in the Bobcat, particularly the .90 size. Does anyone know if the .90 size was ever available? I watched the website and it appeared to me that as soon as the .90 was advertised, it was labeled "sold out" . And there is no tech data available on it.

grodus

Old 05-30-2007, 11:07 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Short of the spendy YS 1.40, not sure what motor would really make this thing go.

Moki 1.8 or 2.1 ??

O.S. 1.60??

At 12+ pounds, thats a pretty heavy plane to get up to speed.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 AM
snoozer
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone actually have a Falcon 120 in their posession?

If so, I'd really like to hear nore about it since the guys from Nitroplanes don't respond on thier forum or to E-Mails.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This could be fun with a turbine, but definitely needs to check structural integrity first.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:28 PM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I let you guys know when it come in...............
I think the Roosi 105 with D/F will work
Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM
NeoGenesis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

please post some detailed pics..........I'm still undecided

Neo
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

there are detailed pics of it in the jet forum, even one with a turbine strapped on the back.

kc
Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have a look here guys:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...tm.htm#5952423
Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hmmmmmm... looks nice.....

I wonder if the 100LX would get it moving fairly well...
Old 06-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BREAKING NEWS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Falcon 63" is now on Sale for 249.95 was 279.95

optional mechanical retracts they sell are 14.95 (2 mains NO nose?!?!!)
does not say if they fit.

OK time to compare Nitro's Falcon to Richmodels KeeCat sells for 219.95 WITH retracts

Wing Span:1400mm(55.1")
Length:1640mm(64.5 ")
Weight:3400~3500g(120~123.5oz)
Wing Area:49.2dm2 (763sq in)
Wing Loading:69.1~71.2g/dm2 (24.3~25.1oz/sq in)
Engine:OSFX 61 2C

Richmodel has another 1st.The KeeCat.65! 55.1"±wingspan,64.5long,120oz flying weight.There are three under carriages could be retract This beauty is constructed with high quality lasercut parts and assembled under the most demanding quality control.You can have confidence that this aircraft is 2nd to none. With retracts and double boom tail this plane will fly like it is on rails.Fast and smooth!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Pubhi
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After having built 3 keecat's, I can tell you guys that it is a great little plane. The quality of the parts is pretty good and the overall build is good. The nose gear can be a little difficult to get right but it works great once you get it set up. I went ahead and buried the wires inside the elevator and made a cover for the servo out of balsa and it came out looking great. I would definitely recommend the keecat to anyone looking to get one.

Just be sure that you run high torque MG servos on the elevator and ailerons. I lost my second keecat because of elevator servo failure in a dive. Anyway, its an awesome plane and here is a video of it doing some high speed passes: http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=602280

This thing is dead stable with the proper amount of down thrust and lands like a dream. You can really slow it down and hold the flare to a crawl. If anyone has any questions, i'd be glad to answer them.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:41 PM
andywragg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am in the process of building the Rich Model Keecat 65 now and have seen the Falcon 120 recently at a show. Its an impressive looking airplane to say the least. There's a chap over here in the UK that is doing an on line build/assembly on RC Model Flyers (RCMF.info).
As far as my Keecat is concerned this is my second, the first was a dud as the wing aligning pegs on the port side were out, meaning I couldnt mount the outboard panel. The Distributor here on the UK (Wholesale Planes) had a replacement out to me as soon as they got back from the show I bought it at and even arranged carriage on the one going back to them.
LIke most decent ARTF's you need to know what you are doing before taking this kit on, its no trainer build, however having said that it isnt difficult either, there's just some unusual challenges.
As for the servos, if you do use hi-torque servos, just remember to use a hi capacity flight pack with a low internal resistance or your RX (mines a Spektrum AR7000) may lock out under heavy current draw.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM
KHORTON

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I reliaze this is the speed prop forum but wanted to check out everybodys comments over her too. All I can say is I think you will be surprised at the quality. This is not like the smaller Nitro Bobcat 50 which required alot of re-engineering. The covering and paint are much better than what I see on most non ARF's at the field each weekend. The control surface gaps are a perfect fit, CA hinges being used.
I got mine last week. I was looking for a everyday, local field, beater I which would work with my 4 year old Wren 54 (fully manual version). Our runway is only 300 ft aspalt. The smaller Nitro Bobcat was too small however this one seems to be a perfect fit.
Quality of the ARF better than I had anticipated considering the price. A couple of the fuse formers are loose but that is a good thing, because it makes them easier to remove which is necessary to mount the 50oz fuel tank and equipment. In my opinion there are way too many formers anyway. The fiberglass fuse is pretty thick and the wing root is reinforced with a ply doubler. I am also replacing all the plastic bolts w/ metal bolts for the boom and stab attachments. I am doing away with the twin elevator servo setup in favor of a single 9411 mounted in the stab. All of the retract wells/rails are installed and precut ready to accept your retracts. Anybody have their retracts installed yet? I am thinking about Robart 630's

Here are a few pics. I think I just finished the hardest part of the build which was , How to mount the turbine?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38506.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	710660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25091.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	710661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24090.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	710662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23323.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	710663  
Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Stang 1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've seen a Byron Fan unitsused on these before. Someone in Tennessee maybe. I've got a couple Byrofan units and Rossi eng waiting to be used. Does the smaller Bobcat 50 make for a better conversion?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service