Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

lanier shrike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lanier shrike?

I want to get a lanier shrike. Are they fast? How well do they fly?
Is it worth getting one? If I get one i have a ST . 51 ready to fit into the nose. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:54 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lanier shrike?

Nice plane, I have TT46pro with an Ultra thrust muffler and 9/7 apc. They are very nose heavy. Put receiver and battery in back. Elevator throw is as much as possible. Mine is darn near 90degrees and i use it all on landing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43046_8393.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	26910  
Old 12-26-2002, 01:22 AM
Dago Red

Default lanier shrike?

looks good
Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 AM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Default lanier shrike?

ON post number one...Hello neighbor..This is Walt from the Beaumont club..Who handles the Dago Red and can you get them in a kit yet..I havent seen one in a long time....
To post number two...You said you use it all on landing.I guess your talking bout elevons...Why do you use it all on landings.Does this thing come in that wobbly or what....I'm wanting a shrike now and have never flown one.I'd feel better if they had landing gear but guess that would slow it down...Thanx Walt
Old 01-02-2003, 01:04 AM
Dago Red

Default lanier shrike?

Q-Ball--hey neighbor, What planes do you fly, maybe Ill have a better memory on who you are ,you sounds farmiliar. I got a little yellow V tail and a racin agwagon.
Sorry, but they dont make a dago red kit, but i do have many dimensions and pictures of dago red. Im going to take a stock kit mustange and modify it, if you do the same, Im willing to help you.
the shrike has ailerons and a elevator separate, but your question is very questionable. I think he means much throw in the elevator, I think.

O yes, world models, and another company, Ill find out for you, make a Dago Red ARF.
Aaron Ewers
Sec. of OCRCC
Old 01-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Q-Ball

Default lanier shrike?

Hey Guy,
the yellow v-tail sounds famailiar.Were you at the Ned club toys for tots...ARe you a teenager bout sixteen...Remember you well if you are...Your v-tail was impressive...
You need to come over to the bmt club and fly sometimes...Always welcome...
No,when I first got into the hobby years ago the Dago was a big seller and really liked it.It was high priced for a beginner to tear up and now that I took early retirement it's really hi priced..LOL....
I"ve been looking at these Shrikes and stuff like that but have never had a plane with out landing gear and some of my landings aren't really that smooth so kinda scared to go that route...
Rite now,I have an Astro Hog (for sale),A Champion45L pattern,and a cloud Dancer 40 with a Irvine 53 and the others are trainers.I have the AStro Hog posted at the club if you know of anyone that is intersted in a Hog,It's never been wrecked and the plane only is 150 and with a os70 surpass is 325.
Come see us yall are always invited...By the way how is Charlie.Heard he got hit on his scooter...
Later Walt
Old 01-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lanier shrike?

I have no idea what your talking about but it is the elevator that I darn near run out of. Shrike has regular ailerons and an elevator.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:50 AM
Dago Red

Default lanier shrike?

Im the 17 year old, thanks for the comp on my flyin, although some didnt like it, did you see my citabria crash.
O MY GOD, is charlie ok, how bad is he, please get back to me ASAP.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Q-Ball

Default lanier shrike?

Yeah,I saw it bite the dust (swamp)...Anything left??
Then you flew the v tail.Very impressive. I heard that Charlie was beat up but he'll be ok...My email is [email protected] if you want to chat..
Aviator if you read this.How difficult would it be to put trike gear on a shrike.Would that make any sense...Just wondering.....Walt
Old 01-03-2003, 12:10 AM
twinturbo

Default Walt buddy this is CJ!

How have ya'll been ? A little cold at times for me to come out and fly, but I am planning on sunday around morning sometime. maybe I'll see you there, take care buddy!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Dago Red

Default lanier shrike?

Im thinking about putting some retracts into mine , also to add some tail weight to it, put a .51 ST on it to make up for the extra weight. hehe, hope to out run that little V tail.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Q-Ball

Default lanier shrike?

CJ,
Dang,guy,where you been hiding?? Don't see you around much...You weren't there Sun but it was the best of days.
Come on Spring time..Hate this cold stuff..I guess we're lucky as those guys up north really know what winter is...My trip to the north pole cured me of the cold stuff..
Take care and hope to see you soon....Walt
Old 01-03-2003, 11:55 PM
twinturbo

Default lanier shrike?

you might see me this Sunday, if it's above 55 degrees... Brrrrrrrr..rr........
Old 02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
bobbdd

Default My Shrike

I had the shrike 20, and I had a ball with it, until it went in on an engine stall, compleat elevator airodyanmic stall. So on the Shrike 40 I raised the elevator up 2" above the tail plane, and it flies very well. I tried it with a gyro and got an axial osalation, no matter how far I went down on the gyro sen. Is anyone using, gyros on speed planes. Also, if anyone got a min... I have a Magnum .46 BB, What prop, would be good, for speed, on this plane. another thing I was wondering about was a 4 stroke on a speed plane, would I get anywhere. I have a OS .52 and an OS .70 II Will I get the right kind of thrust, like maybe with a heavy pitch? Or they just not the right thing for speed?

bobbdd
Old 02-27-2003, 02:36 PM
Q-Ball

Default Bob

Hey,
I'm certainly not an expert in any field that I know of but I've had a couple of four strokes and a lot of two strokes on different types of planes.Fast planes,bulky scale planes,speed planes and I've never been able to get much speed out of a four stroke. I've posted the same question a few times thru the years.I was told the last time that if I put a 11X10 on my 70 4S and run 20/20 fuel that I would see a difference but I haven't done that yet.
If I have a plane that I want to go fast,I always head for the two stroke.From what little I know,seems to me rpm and pitch are the key and the 70 4
S is comfy around 9500 rpm which ain't much...My travels around the four strokes and the two strokes boils down to one like or dislike....the sound and maybe a little torque.

As far as the shrike.I gutted it cuz I need the gear for another plane.Never flew it and wish like heck that I'd put landing gear on it.A guy flew it at the field one time and it flew nice but he said it was a little nose heavy so I added some weight to the tail but never flew it. I'll keep it in case I want to give it another try.....
Have a good one...Walt
Old 02-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lanier shrike?

I had one with a OS.46FX & pipe. Made my own backplate engine mount like the pylon races have. NOSE HEAVY Rx batt all the way back an a few oz of lead too! I ran a 9x9 APC did about 120 MPH. If i were to do a second one I would move the fire wall back about an inch.

IMHO: It does not have enough structure to support retracts
Old 02-28-2003, 10:11 AM
bobbdd

Default Thanks Q-Ball

Thats kinda what I figured. We would probely be pushing a 4 too hard for it's design, anyway. Your right though the 4 strokes do have a place. Now will someone come along and say we're all wrong? I don't know, a 12X14 prop. and a bungee launch ?
Old 02-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Dago Red

Default lanier shrike?

thanks for the info guys.
Dago Red
Old 02-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Q-Ball

Default Dago

Dago,
What you got new on the building board??Give me a hint....
I know you other guys probably don't know Dago but I don't think you'll find a 17 year old that's sharper in the hobby than this guy.And a nice,polite "kid" (LOL) also.Heck,I guess anybody's a kid to me (almost).

Dago had a Predator with some type of racing engine on it at our fun fly and what a trip..More or less a blur going by.Sucked my bi-focals out of my glasses,altho some of the "old" timers didn't care for the low passes..LOL!!

Yall all take care.I'm headed to the field to see if I can see the plane in these soupy sky.....Later...Walt
Old 02-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Dago Red

Default lanier shrike?

Q-Ball
Thanks for the compliments. I love getting them and helps me improve, knowing people love to see me fly.
At the moment a Pica Duellist is sitting waiting for the bolts to hold the engines on it.
I have a plane i built/designed myself waiting for the test flight, this weekend?--if weather is nice.
I have been working all the time improving my Citabria, the one that crashed in the swamp, it has been upgraded with a fuel pump for hovering.
I have a extra 300 in the mail, pick it up today i hope, should have it flying in a few weeks.
LOL, ya, im into this hobby, but i also plan on buying a HPI savage or tamyia terra crusher soon.
Did ya go to beaumonts funfly on sunday, I went, and stayed for a while, didnt fly, i didnt want to risk the citabira over wanting to fly.

Hey, the next airshow we have, ill let you know, love to have ya over.
Dago Red
P.S. the predator is temp out of flying, the tail has been snaped off and the side of the fus was caved in, have no idea how, but i need to buy a new fus for it.---there was a guy there that criticized my repair on the tail, it was ugly reapir, but worked. never the less, i helped him , held his camel back.