Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Ultrasport 40

Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
1fasthitman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ultrasport 40

I was just wondering what engine/prop combinations people have used on the Ultrasport 40 to go faaast. Is it actually capable of high speeds? Anybody know?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:30 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ultrasport 40

I have owned a few of these, three of them currently that I fly. Rossi .45 was good (9X6) , Magnum .52 was good (10X8) and still on it as shown, Webra .40 Q500 was good (9X6), just about anything else racers use will suffice. You can add retracts which make an improvement to speed as well. OS products don't turn enough RPM in this size. It's nice to see Tower listing the kit version again, due in July. Hunting for the discontinued kits was a pain. I thought about putting on a Nelson Q500 .40 (8.75X8.5 pylon) and using a Super Tigre carb on it to see if it will throttle adequately. You know, Phoenix makes a Sea Bee for $99 ARF, and it's just as nice to fly as the Ultra Sport! A friend of mine put on a Dub Jett .40 on his and it's "faast."
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70262.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	690795  
Old 05-24-2007, 06:38 PM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've flown them with about every engine size between a 32 and a 90 2 and 4-stroke and they'll haul the mail pretty nicely with any of those sized engines when propped right. with the 32 and 9x7 APC it took allot of runway to get airborne and then took a few laps to get up to top speed but once there mine pulled slightly over 100 with gear up. fastest one i had included a Jett 90LX swinging an 11x8 @ 15K

kc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74162.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	690797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54348.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	690798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87034.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	690799  
Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

KC:

The Ultrasport is basically faster than the Super Sportster. Friend had a Super Sportster with Super Tiger 51, Jett Pipe, engine coweled in and streemlined well, retracts. Thing was the plane to beat in our club open racers for several years. Pilot was also quite good. I resorted to a sort of cheater home brew cut down Q-500 wing to 40", streemlined front, Jett 35 to outrun the darnd thing. Won with a decent engine run, but that thing was always right on my old tail. It died trying a low inside pass and found the fence thats about 4' high. Yea, we do get a little carried away around here. I have been watching the auctions for a kit Ultra sport, but found a DC "Tsumani", something I had 4 of over the years. This puppy is faster than either of the GP offerings, hands down, but needs retracts to outrun the stuff we are now flying. Mine will get a Jett 60 LX in her when finished probably late this year. Can not go wrong with either offering as long as its not a ARF, the arf wings are cut out and will not stand the turns. ENJOY Bro #119
Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmenke

KC:

The Ultrasport is basically faster than the Super Sportster..................as long as its not a ARF, the arf wings are cut out and will not stand the turns.
Oh contrar, i banked and yanked HARD many many many times with all of mine, even the one with the Jett 90LX, it never came apart. i had it about 8 yrs and just the beginning of this year i stripped it down and gave it away to another club member who's now flying it. the foam covering on the ARF wing is tough as nails, it may not be the prettiest in the world but it'll defiantly stand the test of time and abuse.

kc

EDIT: my only complaint with the ARFs is the plastic turtle deck/cowl/lower chin block/wing and stab tips, they either fall off or come unglued and are a PITA to keep stuck down, i ended up using clear packing tape over the seams of my turtle decks to keep them from coming loose.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Trollmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first "lawn dart" I ever saw several years ago was a US .40. The guy came by for a high speed pass and when he banked around, the weing dowel popped off and that fuselage took off like a cat