Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DD take off's

Old 05-27-2007, 08:04 PM
nitro junky
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DD take off's

I got my first DD done and it flys great. Not sure how fast it is, but it looks fast to me. I have got the OS VX-DF .46 on it running a 8.8x8.75 around 23000 rpm. The problem I am having is on take off's. The plane wants to twist to the left bad. I had my buddy hold the plane at a 45 degree angle to the right and it still twists 45 degrees to the left. The plane tracks hands off and fly's awesome as soon as I get some speed up. Can any one give me some tips how to get it in the air easier?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DD take off's

My only tip is to give it a bit of right aileron during launch--
Old 05-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A full throttle take off did cause mine to bank left some but not 45 degrees. I just looked at a couple of videos of mine it it looked more like 30 degrees. Less throttle would cause less bank.

Are you sure about that rpm? ThrustHP says it would take 4.5 hp to turn that prop that fast. If that is the case you do not need full throttle for take off.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
cncswiss1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

launch close to straight up, perhaps 80 degrees , then the roll doesn't matter.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:13 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congrats on your maiden flight! That torque is normal and you will get better at it. With my left hand,I hold mine by the pipe coupling and give it a firm push aiming upwards at about 40* and right wing down about 30*. At launch I use low or no expo and 75% of full throws this this helps keep the wild over corrections down for the 200 feet. After it's tracking nicely and before it's hauling a** I quickly switch to 100% expo and 125% (max) throws. A cut to tune Mac's pipe header is used because it has a longer area for the silicone coupler to hold on to. Use at least 4 tie straps on the coupler. I use Aerotrend #1039 Ulta Blue 3/4IDx 1 1/8ODx 12" or #1065 High temp cream 3/4IDx 1 1/8 x 12" and cut it to 5" long lenghts . On the rear pipe mounting bracket I used THIN double sided sticky foam AND the tie strap to help keep the pipe from sliding back. The rear deck is renforced where this bracket mounts. If you keep the engine RPM down till your ready to launch this gives you about a minute before it's too hot to hold on to. Holding the DD by the coupler as a handle has a nice balance and grip.

Is this plane is a rush a rush or what?
Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Razor is right , just a bit af right aileron too. It gets to be automatic, you don't even think about it.
What make prop are you running nitro ?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So is 8.8x8.75 around 23000 rpm on a stock prop? Or is it cut down? Also what brand of prop carbon fiber? Either way My DD never banked at 45 degree on angel on launch. I have tried many props at max throttle and the most i ever got was a slight bend to left. I even launched some by myself with no probs.

You may want to try a launch rig if your having that bad of a yank on take off. There are few on here that have made them. They pretty much enure that u have easy launches by using the rig. It is more or less a bunjee on a ramp made of pvc usually. it launches plane into air very easily.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:36 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fast:

I sure agree with COBERA. A PVC ramp is easy to build, you don't need bungees, just some reasonable type of release foot operated and 3-4' of ramp. There have been some pics of a few good ones some time back, maby a years, plus. Sure wiould be much safer for you and the airplane. Have some scars on the top of my head from a not so good hand launch years ago, still will not do it except for the E-birds and conventional airframes. They can't loop in their own span. ENJOY
Old 05-29-2007, 02:31 PM
nitro junky

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How much right thrust are you guy's runing on you DD if any??
Old 05-29-2007, 03:53 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didnt put any at all, plus I dont think it needs it. I made it as straight as possible. It tracked straight as an arrow at 1/4 to wide open.