Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

g.p minnow and jett sj60lx

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

g.p minnow and jett sj60lx

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 PM
russm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g.p minnow and jett sj60lx

just finished this combo. started out with a 10x6 apc prop . would not pull the plane. went to a 11x6 with some improvment, but not much. i have the gold muffler with 1.5" worth of extentions to clear the fuselage. rpm was 11500 w/ 15% wildcat synth fuel. i was told at the field that the muffler ext was causing most of the engine problems. also blew new plgs on all 3 flights even though i did what was recommended by bob brassell . 2 plug washers. is this just a bad combo? i do not want to butcher the fuse on such a beutiful plane. any thoughts would be welcome. thanks russm
Old 06-14-2007, 01:21 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: g.p minnow and jett sj60lx

The muffler extension will reduce the the rpm some but I suspect you should still be turning a 10x6 around 17,000 rpm. The 11x6 may be a little big for that engine to get on the pipe. It sounds to me like you may have a problem with fuel delivery. Do you see any foam or bubbles in the fuel line? I would run the engine on the bench with a recommended prop and no extension to make sure it is performing as it should. I am sure Bob will have some thoughts.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

wait a sec....

You put the 60LX in the great planes minnow ?? Remeber, that is a "46 on steroids" more than a "61" engine.

Most folks are using the 90LX in the Toni and Minnow - they are BIG airplanes.

The biggest prop you want run on a 60LX is a 10x6 --- maybe a 10x7 after a bunch of flight time. The majority use 9x8, 9x9, 10x6 or one of the racing props to get it to run.

It MUST turn over 17,000 rpm ---- preferably over 17,500 - and 18K+ is ideal. With the extension kit it is probably closer to optimized at the 17,000 range.

Anything less and it will be WAY off the pipe ...... it will get hot ..... eventually toast the engine.

this is a 90LX installation - 11x8 prop
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

i am close to finishing mine. all thats left is to ballance and set the throws. I put the jett 90lx that i
had in the f-16 in it. but i am going on vacation for the week so i have to wait to finish it.as far as the 60lx
i think that is a little to small.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

russm:

Shoulda done your homework on this thing. Little Tony, Shoestring, Alley Cat and now the Minnow. These are designed to be sport planes, not go faster stuff. A Jett 90 LX will pull them around pretty quick, but a big yawn to most of the go fast guys. Dont think there is a 10 mph difference on the high end of any of them, had all except the minnow, very disapointed even with the Jett 90 pulling them along. Dog is still dog. If you want to go fast, do it the best and cheepiest way, buy a Q-500 and invest in a Jett or Nelson racing 40. Now you should be running around 150-175 mph and really learning to fly the fast stuff. The Q-500's are generally good sport planes with a TT or OS 46. NOW, if you really want to scoot, stick that Jett 60 LX on the front. You can taxi out to the strip and take off normally with this engine, and then get her up to about the same, (more IMHo)as those nasty cranky stubborn but sweet racing 40's. If you want to sell that 60 LX cheep, let me know. ENJOY
Old 06-15-2007, 08:36 AM
russm

rmenke, no way, i treasure my jett engines. i just told 1 of the guys at the field the same thing, i did not do my homework. i have 5 deltas and 2 predaters that i fly. i really enjoy the toni and like the looks of the minnow. i can not afford the 90lx at this time. going to put a os 91 fx in it for now. i am still learning. thanks for the imfo gents, russm
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: russm
also blew new plgs on all 3 flights even though i did what was recommended by bob brassell .
Doesn't sound to me like you did what was recommended, instructions are pretty clear as to prop size and the design rpm range. Put that engine on a fast .40 size plane and prop it correctly..
Old 06-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Trollmaster

ORIGINAL: bob27s

wait a sec....

You put the 60LX in the great planes minnow ?? Remeber, that is a "46 on steroids" more than a "61" engine.

Most folks are using the 90LX in the Toni and Minnow - they are BIG airplanes.

The biggest prop you want run on a 60LX is a 10x6 --- maybe a 10x7 after a bunch of flight time. The majority use 9x8, 9x9, 10x6 or one of the racing props to get it to run.

It MUST turn over 17,000 rpm ---- preferably over 17,500 - and 18K+ is ideal. With the extension kit it is probably closer to optimized at the 17,000 range.

Anything less and it will be WAY off the pipe ...... it will get hot ..... eventually toast the engine.

this is a 90LX installation - 11x8 prop

Bob, I'm curious if this is to large a plane to get what he's expecting. You have a good plane and a good engine but together? Might be too much plane, Anyways, I'm with you on the 9/9apc. Need the pitch here.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:02 PM
wylieruneyjr

Gentleman built my minnow with a SATIO FA 125 4 stroke 13x13 prop plenty fast didn,t need to cut cowl much. Its different.