Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

World Speed Record

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

World Speed Record

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Laggard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World Speed Record

What's the absolute world speed record for a radio controlled model aircraft? I checked the FAI but can't make sense of the various categories.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:50 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Default RE: World Speed Record

I don't know if this is a record but I know a jet made a pass of 319mph at some recent jet rally.

Kevin
Old 02-24-2007, 11:36 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Officially Recorded it's 213.70 mph but that's with a piston engine, they haven't 'officially' got a turbine speed, a control line plane was faster but you asked radio controlled

the US Military has flown radio controlled drones in excess of Mach 2, but i guess FAI isn't going to consider those.

kc
Old 02-25-2007, 12:00 AM
jlingrel

I didn't think there was any activity in Enterprise. I am here on a temporary assignment, but have not found any fields or hobby shops. Any ideas?

John
Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: jlingrel

I didn't think there was any activity in Enterprise. I am here on a temporary assignment, but have not found any fields or hobby shops. Any ideas?

John
we've had two clubs, WGRC (wiregrassrc.org) and Southern RC Fliers (not sure if they have a web site or not, i left that club 5 yrs ago because of the bad apples), not to mention we're home of Morgan fuel there are 50+ members in each club and have been for the 18 yrs I've been flying here, at one time the Toath club (southern fliers) we had over 100 members. it did slack off allot about 5 yrs ago because of the few bad apples but they finely quit flying and it's picked back up allot the past year or two.

we no longer have a decent LHS (Red Barron RC) here (again because of the bad apples), she closed up and opened a bar, and the guy who owns the so called LHS (Bryan's Hobbies) has been doing cars for umpteen yrs and really doesn't do much for plane/heli fliers other then fuel. i can't help you with anything in the Huntsville area but there are several clubs up there and you shouldn't have a problem finding a few places to fly.

kc

EDIT: if you're down here on the assignment I'd be more then happy to show you the fields. i was the only one out flying today, most of the locals won't fly if it's to windy and today it was 20-25 knot so i was all alone with the Patriot 40.

i also shot you a PM with my # feel free to give me a call anytime.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:30 AM
jlingrel

PM a phone number to me and I will call you. I am in the Holiday Inn Express if you want to call. 334 347 2211. rm 313

I am a member of RCRC in Huntsville, but do not get much of a chance to fly there. I am only in town on an occaisional weekend

John
Old 02-25-2007, 04:40 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

ORIGINAL: KC36330

Officially Recorded it's 213.70 mph but that's with a piston engine, they haven't 'officially' got a turbine speed, a control line plane was faster but you asked radio controlled

the US Military has flown radio controlled drones in excess of Mach 2, but i guess FAI isn't going to consider those.

kc

here is 221 mph when converted
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QjR-KrlVlVE
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
KC36330

John, i tried to get up with you this afternoon so you could come out to the field but no answer on your cell.

SSGSPEEDMAN there are allot of planes well over the 'official record' they just haven't been clocked by FAI people in their speed traps and until then they won't be updating their records which to me doesn't make the records worth a hill of beans. quiet a few turbine jets at or above 300 mph and the FAI records don't even have turbine's listed, they IMO are considerably out or date and appear to have no interest in getting it brought up to par.

kc
Old 02-25-2007, 05:48 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A wind assisted dive is meaningless.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

A wind assisted dive is meaningless.
turbine jets pull 250+ easy flat and level, the turbine doesn't loose efficiency as speed is increased like the ducted fans did, the past 5 yrs have also cleaned up the drag on them and composite materials have reduced weight. a Jetcat P120 produces close to 30 lbs thrust and mate nicely with a 20 lb jet. it's big brother the P200 weighs in at 5 lbs and produces just shy of 50 lbs thrust. at this point in the ballgame, airframe integrity and pilot ability is the limit on speed.

kc
Old 02-25-2007, 06:17 PM
jlingrel

I must be the dumbest guy on the web, but I can't get anything to play on Utube. Says I dont' have java script or something, when i tell it to install it, it says installed and the it says I don't have the right stuff. I give up

John
Old 02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
HighPlains

Put your jet engine on a diet of 2 to 3 oz of fuel per minute and let me know how fast you are going.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM
KC36330

Put your jet engine on a diet of 2 to 3 oz of fuel per minute and let me know how fast you are going.

the P60 is 8oz/min @ WOT, the P200 is 24oz/min, but I'd be willing to bet the P60 cut back to 3oz/min would run allot faster then a glow engine sucking the same fuel rate but hauling the same 3-5 liters of fuel around. it takes RPM to go fast with a turbine or a piston engine and RPM take fuel flow, one can't get around that, even with an electric ducted fan it takes allot of LiPo juice to turn out the RPM.

kc
Old 02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
HighPlains

Why haul around 6 to 10 lbs of fuel when only 6 to 10 oz. is needed? The FAI class you think is so slow limits the engine size to 10 cc. That is what makes it difficult. There is no challenge with unlimited power.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:43 PM
KC36330

Why haul around 6 to 10 lbs of fuel when only 6 to 10 oz. is needed? The FAI class you think is so slow limits the engine size to 10 cc. That is what makes it difficult. There is no challenge with unlimited power.
I'm sorry i was under the impression this thread was all about the question at hand:

What's the absolute world speed record for a radio controlled model aircraft?
for that i really don't see why you come across to me as having a bit of an attitude in your postings here. nowhere in the question asked was it asked about any FAI class race with a 10cc sized engine, it asked about speed and as much as I'd love to see a turbine pull 300 mph and only consume 10 oz of fuel during the flight, it ain't gonna happen without those 10 lbs of fuel on board so drop the attitude.

kc
Old 02-25-2007, 10:55 PM
HighPlains

What hill of beans are you pulling now?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:22 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: jlingrel

I must be the dumbest guy on the web, but I can't get anything to play on Utube. Says I dont' have java script or something, when i tell it to install it, it says installed and the it says I don't have the right stuff. I give up

John
John, you need to update your Macromedia Flash Player, not Java

kc
Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Troy-RCU

The reason the speed record dates are 'out of date' is because it is a pretty big undertaking to lay out the equipment in FAI style and you then have to get FAI officials (at your expense) to fly in and officiate the event. Many of the competition records are updated frequently because the contests are organized to FAI standards already. To date, there are no official FAI speed contests so you have to create one.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
ArmedZagi

Suprised no one has mentioned dynamic soaring yet... I've seen them hit 301mph on a radar gun.

[link=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/ArmedZagi/Video/?action=view&current=Kyle301.flv]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/ArmedZagi/Video/?action=view&current=Kyle301.flv[/link]
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Laggard

What's the absolute world speed record for a radio controlled model aircraft?
I am sure radios were involved in getting NASA's X-43A test vehicle up to Mach 9.6 (nearly 7,000 mph)...
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/x43-main.html
Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ArmedZagi

Suprised no one has mentioned dynamic soaring yet... I've seen them hit 301mph on a radar gun.

[link=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/ArmedZagi/Video/?action=view&current=Kyle301.flv]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/ArmedZagi/Video/?action=view&current=Kyle301.flv[/link]
I wonder how fast straight and level flight would be? SLOW
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Laggard

What's the absolute world speed record for a radio controlled model aircraft? I checked the FAI but can't make sense of the various categories.

This was the original question. There is only 1 FAI class for "extreme speed". That class is limited to 10cc reciprocating piston engine power and props. So jets are out.

I agree with Highplains: anyone can strap a P200 to a plane and have it fly so fast you would need BORG visual acuity to be able to control it. Where's the challenge in that? The challenge is breaking a record within a confined set of rules.

I also think most people will agree that a NASA hypersonic test vehicle (be it radio controlled or not) is NOT what is generally understood under the term "radio controlled model airplane".

This IS after all the "extreme speed PROP planes" forum... if you want to talk jets or gliders, there are dedicated forums for that.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:37 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've studied the video footage (many,many times)and with out a calibration date and certification of the radar equipment used , not to mention background reflection , it's hard to verify a claim like this .

My 15 years of university and a Phd in electro-mechanical engineering convince me otherwise ,

Sorry to put a damper on a good days flying
Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You talking about the "Dynamic Soaring" clip?
ORIGINAL: scoeroo

I've studied the video footage (many,many times)and with out a calibration date and certification of the radar equipment used , not to mention background reflection , it's hard to verify a claim like this .

My 15 years of university and a Phd in electro-mechanical engineering convince me otherwise ,

Sorry to put a damper on a good days flying
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think it is interesting to hear about the exploits of all things RC related. My mind isn't so closed that hearing about the "other stuff" causes any discord or irritation. The wildest sounding scheme for speed would be a deep space satellite that rides on the solar wind, it would just keep accellerating until it ran into something. The sail would be made from a bacteria that would continue to grow and knit itself into a state of "humongousness". This concept was shown on the Science channel. Kind of scary that we pay people to sit around full time and dream this stuff up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.