Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Patriot-Great Flier

Old 03-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Pete1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Patriot-Great Flier

Hi All,

I finished building my Jett 50 (9x9 APC prop) powered patriot a week ago. I installed the hobico gear and added flaps. This plane came out weighing 6lbs 11.8 ounces or 6 3/4 lbs. The extra weight is probably due to the flap install. 2 extra mini servos plus wiring etc. I covered it in the original scheme with minor deviations on the front for easier covering. I balanced it right in the middle of the CG range. I also left the fake intakes in the box for less drag.

I took it out to the field (Red Barons, Sacramento, CA) for its first flight on Monday. After the initial preflight items, engine run, range check etc. I taxied it out for the nerve racking first flight in 10+mph winds. It turns out there was no reason to be nervous because after a few clicks of up trim it flew like a champ. It cut through the wind like a razor and was very stable and predictable. It likes some speed on landing but rolled right on. I flew it twice and called it a success. I put another 4 flights on it the next day and was looking forward to putting a radar gun on it on Thursday but unfortunately was called out to work out of town for 10 days, darn!

I'll let you know the result of the speed runs with the radar gun when I get back to R/C instead of work. I'll also try to post pictures when I get access to a digital camera.

AWESOME FLYING PLANE!!!!! The only negative thing is being limited to about 4 1/2 minutes of flight time with the 8 ounce tank. I may still be a little on the rich side so I may get the flight time up to 5 minutes. Maybe.

Here are the pictures. More below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65865_9600.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	37664  
Old 03-07-2003, 09:55 PM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cost

Do you have a cost estimate of your setup? Just curious to get an idea of how much it costs to go so fast. Looking forward to pics and radar gun figures. If you can give tach numbers too it would be appreciated. I picked up a patriot with a sport 50 here on rcu last week. Needs some work but should be up shortly.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default estimated cost

Hi JLong,

I really didn't want to think about the cost because it always ends up being more than you think. My best guess is around $1,200.

Kit $ 99.99
engine 280.00
servos (9) 500.00
receiver ?150.00 JR PCM 9 channel
retracts 40.00 Hobbico
wiring 100.00 2 Ys, several extensions etc.
covering 36.00 3 rolls
spinner 25.00

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Hopefully you have some go-fast-plane experience because this thing covers alot of sky in a hurry.

As for the rpm I was getting around 18,ooo with a 9x8 and around 17,600 with the 9x9.

Good luck, Pete.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:35 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pete, i have a Patriot on my building board and have not decided on the retracts yet. Are you flying on a grass runway with the Hobbico gear? I heard B&D (air) retracts would be better suited for a grass field(?)

are the flaps worth the trouble (and weight)?

any info would be great!

Regarding your limited tank capacity: did you think of installing a hopper tank? I am planning on a setup with a 4oz in the front and a 10oz in the fuse (aroud the CG location) and pressurized...

cheers, Vasek
Old 03-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Grass, Flaps, Tank

Hi Vasek,

Sounds like a good Czech name. We have a 600' paved runway so I don't have to deal with grass. The Hobbico gear is kind of flimsy especially the nose gear in the area of the steering mechanism but it has worked great so far.

I can't answer your question on the flaps just yet as I need more time to play with the landings. The first day I flew it without using the flaps but there was a good head wind of 10+ mph and it handled it nicely. I have not done any no-flap landings since then. It seems to slow it down a bit and looks good taxiing in with them down but I'm not sure if it was worth the time and weight to install them.

Your idea of more fuel sounds good but again more weight to carry. If the short flights begin to irritate me I'll tear into it and add more fuel.

I can't tell you enough how nice this plane flies. I won't even attempt to guess the speed of it but I was impressed along with the other spectators. I'll find out its real speed soon as a Friend of mine has a radar gun. I did seal the hinges on all the surfaces with strips of monokote to prevent flutter.

Good luck with your plane. I think you'll be very happy with it once its done. The building and covering is a pain. I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Take care, Pete.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:39 PM
vasek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pete

Thanks for all the info. I am glad the plane flies well! (can't wait)

I thing for grass flying I'll go with the B&D's just to make sure...
let me know about the flaps as you learn... since I will be adding the hopper tank I will probably skip the flaps, unless you tell me they are "a pilot's dream come true"

If you have any pics of your plane, would sure like to see them: I heard about not installing the fake intakes - have not decided yet on mine

I heard lot of good things about the JET/Patriot combo, myself I am going with the "poor man's" powerplant (MVVS .49 & a moose can silencer)

keep me up-to-date on your flying funn,
cheers,
Vasek

P.S. I envy you California boys (wasn't there a song by Tommy-Lee Roth?- or was that about California GIRLS! ) for flying all year round... I have to go out in sub-freezing temp and showel my car out of the snow!!!!

P.P.S. I am impressed about you recognizing the origin of my name... I bet you are a well educated person (that's good to know)
Old 03-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine Selection

Vasek,

I don't know your situation but I would strongly recommend the Jett sport 50 with the super sport pipe. I've heard negative comments on the MVVS. I hate to say that as I believe it comes from the country of my origin. Have you already purchased the MVVS? Whats the cost?

This is my second Jett 50. The first one I had on a Shrike 40 that I sold to a friend and still see it flying at our field. We've clocked that plane with the radar gun from 135 mph straight and level to 165 mph out of a dive. For a speed plane I wouldn't use anything else.

I'll get some pictures of the Patriot and post them in a week or two along with the results of the radar gun.

Omitting the fake intakes serves a couple of purposes. Covering the fuse is much easier, reduces drag and weight.

Pete
Old 03-10-2003, 06:01 AM
dave long

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you need to bribe your buddy and get him to the field with his radar gun to see just how fast your patriot really goes!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Rubbie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MVVS

Vasek,

Don't worry about the MVVS, just follow the break in procedures and you'll never have to worry about the engine. I have the MVVS .49 with a 7.5 cc tuned pipe and was getting around 16k with a 10x9 on my patriot and it was great (I don't really push my engines hard at all and keep them quite rich). Spring air make a low profile set of retracts specifically for the patriot and that is what I use without any problems on a grass field.

As for the intakes it is personal preference, on the first patriot I had I left them on and the second patriot I left them off. I the second one was a little lighter and was a lot easier to cover.

Any way you will love this plane....
Old 03-10-2003, 03:59 PM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cute, radar Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We'll hook up when I get back.

Pete
Old 03-11-2003, 05:36 PM
vasek

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rubbie

Thanks for the info, the MVVS should be a good engine (ones with the new carb) I have two MVVS .91 and they are very good.

The Patriot should fly well with the .49 and a short pipe.

As far as the intakes goes, i am not trying to break any speed records so it will get down to the looks of it- depending on the color scheme they might look cool / or not !?.

So if you guys have any pics WITH the intakes and WITHOUT them, please post some here!!! It will help me decide.

The retracts - i am on a budget- so B&D $75 (air kit included) sounds very good - what did your Spring-air instalation cost? - and do you use larger wheels to accomodate for grass runway or did you go with the original size(s)?

Cheers,
Vasek
Old 03-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Rubbie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Retracts

I can't remember the cost of the retracts but they are more expensive than $75.00 Here is the link to the web site

http://www.retracts.com/

The nose wheel is slightly bigger than what they recommended (for better angle of attack on take off). The mains are exactly what the plans said. I can't remeber the size but they fit in the spray can top wheel wells that are installed in the wing. I live in Canada and the grass is less than ideal and it doesn't have any problems. Don't worry about it and go fly.....
Old 03-12-2003, 12:30 AM
jlong34016

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default retract swap

Any patriot builders know if it would be easy to swap out mechanical retracts for pneumatics? My used patriot has weak gear and already dont retract into wells. I dont want to have to worry about the servo stalling and draining the battery if they dont go all the way up. My field is grass. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pictures

Left side picture.

Name:	65866_9600.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	37665  
Old 03-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pictures

Shot of the flaps.

Name:	65868_9600.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	37666  
Old 03-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Pete1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pictures

Belly shot.

Name:	65870_9600.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	37667  
Old 03-26-2003, 10:06 PM
dave long

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awesome looking plane!!! Your workmanship is great. Can't wait to see the real deal.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Alexdu
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My 2 cents

Hello everyone. I have been flying my Patriot for about a month now and I can tell you guys, it's a wonderful, wonderful plane. I started it flying with a stock .50 OS, Master Airsrcrew 10x7 and after two weeks I installed a Jet Stream Muffler and boy oh boy, that's when the fun started. I was getting around 14, 000 rpms on the OS before the Jet stream. Now I'm getting close to 16,000 rpms!!!! And in the air that's where the engine shines. Full throttle until landing. I'm plannig for this weekend trying out the APC 10x7 and 10x8 and see the performnace. By the way I was able to fit SpringAir retracts and a 12 oz fuel tank, no way I was going to limited myself to less than 5 minutes of flying time. In case you are wondering on the fuel tank, get the Hayes slimline 12 oz:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXK835

The boys at the flying field are amazed at the perfromance of my plane. I beat the crap out of a Dominator with a Rossi engine. Others don't even want to try their Cougars, Cobras, Mustangs and almost any other fast plane. And all this with a simple .50 OS engine and of course the Jet Stream Muffler. If anyone gets faster than me I will upgrade to a Jett engine. JEJEJEJEJEJE

Robert
Old 03-27-2003, 08:48 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gallery
The link above is to my gallery and a pic of my Patriot. I have been flying it for 7 years and it is still awesome. I have the hobbico retracts installed and a slimline 10oz tank. It is not the best pic to see the inlets on the side but I will tell you they are a pain to cover over. I personally like to look of them but that is just me. I know you will enjoy the plane.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:18 PM
willyj934

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just finished my Patriot. After reading all the fun you boys are having, I can't wait to try it out. I did not put retracts on and I did put on the intakes. Our field is not the best for retracts. We have no grass or pavement. Just dirt and little stones. I am starting out with an OS46 and if the need for more speed comes along (meaning more money) I will upgrade.

Willyj

Name:	66503_2627.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	37668  
Old 03-29-2003, 01:29 PM
jlong34016

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default finish

Is that paint or all monokote? Nice job.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:34 PM
willyj934

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks,

All monokote except for the exhaust cone. I painted that.

Willyj
Old 04-07-2003, 09:50 AM
tkigar
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone have a set of plans.....or I just need the front section mainly the nose area to re-build the engine box.....you can e mail them to me as I only need to see a general idea and scratch them from a pic....let me know thanks Tim