Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

LR-1 retracts???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
samtech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR-1 retracts???

Hello,
Does any know if retacts can be stuffed in to an LR-1? Added weight vs less drag.... any real benefit? The LR-1 is all composit but I'm not to worried about cutting into it as I work with composites on a daily basis...but I'm curouse if there is a spar in there at all...
Whatch'all think? Waste of time or worth while labor. Landing gear placement? as far back as they will go?? less bounce???
[link]http://www.wildharerc.com/products/lr1racer/[/link] Have a look!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:33 PM
samtech

Default RE: LR-1 retracts???

Hey guys, throw me a bone. AirBike???? do you think it will fit???
Old 07-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

The LR-1 wing is pretty thin so I don't think most retracts will fit. It does have a balsa spar (maybe capped with extra fiberglass).

The plane is pretty strong as it is holding up just fine to a Sport Jett 50. The wing skins are basically balsa w fiberglass on top of it and are not very thick, so landing loads would probably need a doubler to help spread the load.

IMO, use some thin racing wheels and the drag from the gear will be minimized. The weight from the retracts in this case is probably not worth the effort or performance gain.

Check your AUW, once it gets over 4 lbs, be careful of high speed stalls.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 PM
samtech

Right on man,
Thanks for your opinion. I was thinking the wing might be to thin. I have heard that the landing gear is in a really bad spot, too far forward. Have you done anything to yours to move it back or ease the bounce at all??? Or is it the location just fine and landings are good?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

You can mount the gear either on the fuse just in front of the wing or mount the gear on the wing just behind the LE.

I have mine mounted on the wing. It does tend to bounce unless you just happen to grease it in PERFECTLY. (I think I've only done this once or twice).

You can use flaperons and the plane will slow down a bit more. If you bounce really hard (or hit a gopher hole like I did) the gear will pull out of the wing, peeling back the composite skin. I just epoxied it back and since the spar was not damaged, I don't think it lost much strength.

I'm using some Williams Bros wheels in place of the stock foam wheels.