Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Sad day in my house :(

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sad day in my house :(

Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad day in my house :(

I have now retired my Can-Am Whiplash May it rest in piece. I still don't know what happened.. lost all radio signal seemingly. Went in wide open straight straight in. I'm very concerned about the engine though . A bit of the crankcase that holds the carb in broke off (it's a JETT BSE FIRE 50) and the carb is shoved back so the throttle stop screw is hitting the cooling fins of the head .

I hope the engine is repairable!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sad about that most. The BSE's are a work of art.. not to mention kinda expensive (but you do get what you pay for)
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Sad day in my house :(

My condolences...If she had to go though that'd be the way-
Old 07-14-2007, 10:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

With all the little things that can go wrong it is amazing that these planes last as long as some of them do. Even more amazing if the engine is still salvageable after going from 170 to zero mph in 0 seconds!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

I put a Jett Fire 50 in a couple years ago had the same kind of damage, I sent it to Dub and I think the total bill was $125 including running and testing it. Mine isn't a BSE so I'm sure your case will be more but it sure beat the price of a new engine.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Deckerv:

Chear up, all is not lost. Three months ago, sent my bse 50L to dub having the same experience as yourself. Hit hard dirt so hard, the battery went through the tank and 1/4" firewall, and hit back of motor so hard it maulled up the rear fins. Carb was pushed out. Dub repaired good as new, needed only (only?) new case. Salvaged crank, guts and carb, total was about $140.00. Just got back my 60 LX after loosing sight of the thing, going so darned fast. Gang claims around 200, maby 190 or so. Anyway, farmer dug it out of semi soft soils with a shouvel, claimed it was at least 12" deep. Was happy to get it back. Everything seemed ok, replaced crank stub just in case, poped the carb back in, total clean job. Ran fine, carb kept coming out in flight. Sent to Dub figureing at least a new case. Got back today, $36.50 and a scolding about correct carb mount process. Rugged little engines, well worth their price. ENJOY
Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas Any good suggestions as to a replacement plane next year?

I was looking at the Phenom, but wasn't sure how easy it was to hand launch. Need something with either wheels or relatively easily hand launched The only other requirement is that it flys almost as fast as the Whip did
Old 07-16-2007, 12:28 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: deckerv

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas Any good suggestions as to a replacement plane next year?

I was looking at the Phenom, but wasn't sure how easy it was to hand launch. Need something with either wheels or relatively easily hand launched The only other requirement is that it flys almost as fast as the Whip did
Sorry to hear of the loss, it's never good when a trusted friend augers in like that.

I would look at Mike Conner's Screamin Demon kit as a replacement. Simple build, fast and fun.

Mark
Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 AM
The Internet Killer

ORIGINAL: deckerv

You could always keep your eyes open for another Whiplash. There must be one or two of them still around.