Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New to delta flying!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New to delta flying!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM
hooliganflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to delta flying!

Hi everyone, I currently fly 3D planes and have recently bought a topmodel bullit, with a mvvs .40 Q500 engine with pipe. It has slots underneith for hand launching and i dont really want to remove the covering for the slots. Could someone plase give me some pointers on flying this plane (Ive never flown a delta before), Will I find it hard to fly seen as though I am used to 3D?, also can you please give me some pointerson launching so that i dont have to remove the covering for the slots?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to delta flying!

First off, welcome to the wonderfull world of deltas! They are quite addicting as I'm sure you're about to find out. They can be, however, a world away from 3D.
I am not familiar with that particular delta, maybe someone else can help you out with more specific tendencies of that model.
Just a few things to keep in mind:
1) Use the throttle until you are aquainted with high speed flight. 3D and aerobatics should have made you a great pilot and given you great reactions, but you'll need to retrain your brain for high speed flight. It won't take long. Deltas are notoriously easy to fly after you learn to keep up with them.
2) Keep in mind that when the engine dies it will come down. FAST. A delta slows down quickly and maintains stability well throughout the envelope. This design also creates a LOT of induced drag, and when the engine stops pulling it will trade altitude for airspeed quickly.
3) Have a friend launch the first few times if you can. He might hold it in the center or at the tips and give a gentle push at a slight incline. Be prepared that your engine at full throttle will torque the plane left. After you get used to flying it you should have no trouble launching yourself. I sort of "fling" my Diamond Dust from the wing tip (almost a point it and release kind of thing) and off she goes.

Best of luck.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also keep in mind that you will not need maxed out 3D throws. It does not take much throw to get you into trouble at 150+. Even at takeoff speeds be carefull not to over control in the roll axis. Deltas react to roll input very well.

After you are used to the plane, high throws on aileron make for really neat faster than you can count rolls. I normally launch, land, and fly in low rates, and only play with high rates high enough that when it stops rolling I have time to figure out which side is up.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:57 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Good points. Also a great flying .40 sized delta shouldn't weigh more than 3 pounds. It is pretty standard to see them come out weighing more like 2.5 pounds. With a 8x8 prop on a .32-.40 engine, or 9x8 on a .50 engine, you will have a nice blend of thrust and speed.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I saw the promotional video and it didn't look too bad for an electric arf. Have someone hold it around the wing tips and just push forward with the nose up for a launch. I couldn't see it close enough to tell if there was something to hold on to for self launching.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM
hooliganflyer

U might have seen the hobby lobby video, heres on with if im not mistaken with a .28 mvvs, theres a close up view on it

http://www.topmodel.fr/videos/020390...1150470221.wmv
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: hooliganflyer

U might have seen the hobby lobby video, heres on with if im not mistaken with a .28 mvvs, theres a close up view on it

http://www.topmodel.fr/videos/020390...1150470221.wmv
Yes, I saw the Hobby lobby video. Yours should move along nicely with a q500 engine as the .28 wasn't too bad. I would mod the bottom if you want to launch it yourself. Belly landers usually aren't that pretty on the bottom after a few landings anyway. As far as others launching it for you from the wing tips there are videos of deltas being hand launched towards the end of the two threads "for the love of deltas" and my "something fast? Delta build thread"
Old 07-18-2007, 04:17 PM
brewski

I would also recommend that you kill the engine before landing unlike what the video shows. Landing it running will cost you lots of props.