Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How to kill a West 50? (Engine refuse to turn off)

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How to kill a West 50? (Engine refuse to turn off)

Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Isaac F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to kill a West 50? (Engine refuse to turn off)

Guys, I have a Magnum combo with a West 50 engine. My problem is that when I close complete the carburator barrel, the engine dont want to turn off.........It keep running like a four cycle for some time and them shut down.

The carburator is installed correctly in the engine and is pressing the Rubber O Ring under the carburator.

My problem is that when I am going to land in the grass, I want to shut down the engine before..........Since the engine refuse to turn off, this is breaking the props and I need to constaly changing props[&o]

Whats your sugestion?

THX,

Isaac
Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: How to kill a West 50? (Engine refuse to turn off)

When the plane is low on fuel, gain altitude, then wait for the engine to die on its' own, then land it. Unless you are late for work, this has always worked for me.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Will it die if you put your finger over the carb ? Sounds like it is still sucking air somewhere. I have this engine and it is still in the box. Let me know if you find the cause.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

When the plane is low on fuel, gain altitude, then wait for the engine to die on its' own, then land it. Unless you are late for work, this has always worked for me.
Especially at the rate these things suck fuel - I use an 8oz Jett tank and the flight time is just about right. Mind you, despite setting the prop at 10 to 4, quarter to 3 and wherever else in that area, the prop still binds on compression now and then and I bust props about every 3-4 flights. I haven't counted the number of flights on mine, but it is somewhere around 30, and the engine is still pretty snug up top when cold.

However, mine also will shut off at the Tx, so something is up with this one. I'll look at mine and see what might be up if I can.

MJD
Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Isaac F

Will it die if you put your finger over the carb ? Sounds like it is still sucking air somewhere.
I will do that test next time I fly it

However, mine also will shut off at the Tx, so something is up with this one. I'll look at mine and see what might be up if I can.
Well, this is my second west 50...........The first one is RIP but also use to have the same problemo.

THX,

Isaac
Old 07-17-2007, 10:25 AM
asimace

I do like combatpigg and MJD... the timer rings at 4'30'' and I then know it's time to stop pulling those beautilful fast low passes and gain altitude... the motor quits between 5'-5'30'' and I have all the altitude and speed I need to reach the grass strip I fly from... the strip is quite long, 250mt, so I can flare and slow down the Magnum before it touches, tail first! I've never broken a prop yet, it just lays flat and untouched during landing...
And mine shuts off too with the kill switch (carb is completely closed).
Mauri
Old 07-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Isaac F

I will check the engine again this sunday and see what I find

Another question:

Please I really apreciated you explain me the following:

What is the correct way to put the prop in order that when th engine shut down, the prop remain in a position that it will not brake when land on the grass.

THX,

Isaac

Old 07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It helps to phase the prop level with the ground when the piston is at TDC. In theory this is supposed to work every time . If the compression is low when the engine is hot, there isn't much you can do then except aim for the tall grass.