Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Micro Speed Wings

Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Truglodite

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Micro Speed Wings

how many rcu members have small speed wings? (20-24" range)

i just had my first wing given to me, a 24" wing warrior scrappy, which was sorta fun with the stock j250 motor. i added a little screamers parkjet motor, and now it really moves out. i'm guessing 85mph+, but not sure so i estimated on the lower end i believe. the 5.2x5.2 cam speed prop speed on 3 cells is 135mph, and gives a P/W of around 17W/oz, and an auw of 8.4oz. i need a speedgun to experiment with smaller high pitch props, as i've heard of 100mph+ with a similar motor and a prop cut down to 4x5.

i already posted in the foamies thread, but those guys don't seem to care about speed so much. here's the thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...tm.htm#6087260

i'm so impressed with the portability and performance of this scrappy that i'll probably build another small fast wing. anyone suggest a good candidate for building a super fast micro wing? someone else has to have the micro pylon wing bug...

kev

ps: i posted doppler shift results on that page; 75mph+ (very conservative estimate).
Old 07-19-2007, 04:53 AM
izzy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Micro Speed Wings

i saw a thread about the graupner nemesis pylon racer , that used speed 270 size motor (i think) and now they have a bigger model using a speed 300or 35o size

this thing will probably be the next hype in electric speed foamies

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So doppler works on electrics, good. I tried it on a pulse jet once with bad results.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: izzy

i saw a thread about the graupner nemesis pylon racer , that used speed 270 size motor (i think) and now they have a bigger model using a speed 300or 35o size

this thing will probably be the next hype in electric speed foamies

The original Graupner Nemisis was 'cute' but too small and fragile. Good to hear they increased the size. It is a nice looking model.

And yah, doppler works great on electrics too. Sometimes that's the only way to get a measurement when neither the video or radar can pick them up
Old 07-19-2007, 12:57 PM
izzy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

from the pic that i posted, i got carried away , and ordered a 640mm graupner nemesis plane, even if it sits on my desk, i want to paint it exactly like this model
took the bigger one just incase i have the urge to fly it too
Old 07-22-2007, 12:53 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It looks like a small version of a Wedgie. www.mmglidertech.com/wedgie.html
It comes in a slope or EP types. The EP has provisions for mounting a motor, that’s all.
I upgrade the recommended speed 400 to an Astroflight brushless with 2100 3cell lipos that gives me 120+mph and 8 minutes of full power.
I routered out a channel for a 3/16"carbon fiber tube "A" frame for a more stiff & stronger wing and it sure needs it. At terminal speed in a full power dive the wing tips just start to flutter. The high speed rolls make an incredible sound. My wing is about to be retired as it has bounce many times when I tried to scare the gophers. I will start one of the two NIB kits I bought years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20756.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	727815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48733.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	727816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35118.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	727817  
Old 07-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Truglodite

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol, scaring gophers sounds like a blast. that's a fast wing you have freakingfast! got to love epp too.

that nemesis looks like fun. i have too many planes and not enough parts at the moment, but if this wing dies i'll have to consider it for the parts transplant.

doppler works great on electronics, but is still easy to spoof. i'm not sure about how speed is determined via video btw. i could imagine the math is intensive. for waveosscope to work, you simply need to be close to the microphone and hold WOT throughout each pass/measurement. process the wave file and measure frequency shift with a mouse pointer. however this usually means holding very low altitude at WOT to get a good measurement, unless you're cheating or have a microphone mounted high. there also is some video analysis and trig involved if you pass far from the mic.

it think i have a chance at 100mph if i use a 4.75x5 prop i'm not going for any more speed on this one because i get bad flutter just going wot upwind. i didn't get a good bond between the tape & epp, so i'll recover it when i get the chance that might help with the flutter.

today i was flying at the lake and had 2 bad launches into the sand, which caused sand to get in the motor. now it won't be long before i need to send my poor lspj in for replacement.[:@] at least it was worth it, it still flew well at WOT 6' over the wide open sandy beach with oaks lining the background. it was a sight to see. unfortunately my mother in law got her camera out just after my timer beeped.

anyhow, i think this nearby beach makes the perfect place to record some good doppler tracks. next time i'll bring my 8' step ladder and mount my recorder on top.

kev