Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Calling Bob27...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling Bob27...?

Here is my Enya-50SS broken in as I have broken in similar engines i9n the last 20 years without issue-

You can actually see how it is "out of round" in this pic. I am not sure what causes this but I DO KNOW Enya does not handle warrantees so I need a new head button or this thing is trash basically---

Thoughts? Bob, Dave, Rudeboy, Daven?

(Vic don't even say it bro--)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24871.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	727823  
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Calling Bob27...?

What ya think Vic? JB Weld? The photo is a bit out of focus. Is that a burnout hole? Looks like the bolts were loose?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that the engine that lost all compression in the first 60 seconds of flight last year? I remember FBD reefed down on the head bolts and got it to at least run but it didn't have decent power. It looks like it must have been defective from the factory since it never even ran worth a crap from the first minute.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It looks like the head was never fully seated....it was slightly cocked. Could have been that the shim was not 100% in place. It seems like such a simple job, to install the head, but it is still possible to get it wrong if you are in a hurry [like they are at the factory]. At this point in time, the top of the liner should be checked for flatness.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Razor-RCU

Paper Weight...

Anybody want it?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez...if you're giving it away...throw it this direction

(whadoyawantferit? )

Did ya try lapping the head to the sleeve?
Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Razor-RCU

whatdoyougot?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:05 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Proptop, I've never heard of lapping the Head to the Sleeve, how is that done?

Definately looks like the head was unevenly torqued down to the case, or improper torque was used. I'm not familiar with ENYA motors at all, but it looks like the head was not seated properly.

I had a nelson .40 Q500 motor a few years ago, that never ran properly from the day I got it. I tried a lot of things, but it was always about 500 rpm down from my average "good" motors. For the hell of it, I tried a different head from an older motor and it suddenly was right there with my other "good motors". I suspect it was leaking / sucking air due to a bad seal for some reason. Was a completely different motor with the different head. Can you get just a new head, or button for the motor?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:13 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Comet or Bon Ami cleanser and a little light oil to make a slurry. Dab a very small amount on the top of the sleeve flange (being sure not to get any down inside the sleeve ) and just push gently but firmly and turn, then rotate 90 degrees and push and turn several times more. Keep this up until it feels smooth...that's the cleanser breaking down and getting finer, and that's your cue to clean and check your progress.

Next step is to clean everything off and inspect...looking for a nice light gray frosted appearance all the way around the flange and receiver groove in the head.
Repeat as (or if ) necessary.

The whole process seldom takes more than a few minutes.

It will work well on a slightly warped head but sometimes you need to do the top of the sleeve flange too. For that you need a flat surface like a pane of glass and some 600-1000 wet/dry paper and oil, then do the lapping.

Edit: After reading the thread in the Glow Engines forum, lapping ain't gonna do a dang bit 'o good here aye!?
Maybe send Mr. Enya an e-mail and a link to the thread(s )? Perhaps he'd send you a new head?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading the thread in the Glow Engines forum, lapping ain't gonna do a dang bit 'o good here aye!?
You would be correct on that one. Also when you want to lap a flat surface you need a flat surface to start with. Another note about lapping is you want to work the pc in a figure 8 motion to give equal pressure in all directions.

Razor ol man... the first thing thru my cranial labrynth was what Tom said. I would guess that the locating boss is a tad undersize and you got the same kind of little blowby burn spot on top of your sleeve.
I seem to remember it being a compression beast.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Razor.... the folks at MRC still handle enya engines. Should not be all that difficult to get another head ?

Not sure where the burnout came from, but clearly the head was not seated well.

Bob
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And next time Razor, focus your camera on the head and not the wedding ring.