Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Mini Magnum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Gricey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Magnum?

Well guys, if you can, please get your mates, associates, friends relatives etc who are in to RC to post to this thread. I've had some negative comments back also but overall it's been positive results, we really need a good cross section of comments and data to be taken seriously.

Please remember to submit to the criteria as specified so that we can give a complete set of results. Perhaps then this plane could be called 'The Peoples Mini Magnum Demon' or 'Tepmad' for short
:-) ........
Old 03-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mini Magnum?

ok, heres my wish list in submittable form

* Length: What ever length keeps it true scale with current Magnum after wingspan is worked out.
* Wingspan: Depends on wing loading which should be slightly lower than current Magnum. 25-30"
* ARTF or Kit: ARTF is nice with a retail cost around 50-60, or kit for choice of covering. 40 quidish.
* Engine size: 10-20 ( 25 if your R&DMFC )
* Colour scheme: ( ARTF same as current Magnum ) Kit suggestions given for F1 schemes.
* Other: SD250's all round, top hinged surfaces as per Cougar elevator. Design a high revving West 21 that just happens to do the job last thought, now Weston are selling their own RX's a COMPLETE ARTF with installed gear is very possible and a nice option.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:26 AM
johnd

Default Mini Magnum?

phil ,only a 25 you must be going soft in your old age whats wrong with a west .36 that will get it moving!!!!!!!still think you wont get a mini one in artf or kit form just have to build one from scratch
Old 03-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Comments from SJN:

Gricey wrote on 03-11-2003 8:47 PM:
Hi SJN,

thanks for the comments, is it ok if I post them on the thread?

A mate at the patch has a small Spitfire that runs on an .18, it really zooms around great. You just keep it in close ish and it is like adrenalin ++.

I would expect the Mini Magnum to be somewhat similar, imagine the roll rate!!!

regards,

Geoff.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SJN wrote on 03-11-2003 7:08 PM:
Hi Gricer

I think a mini magnum would be cool. I would buy one for sure. Just make it exactly the same colour and design as the one they have now, just smaller. A 25 size one would be great.

But the downside is, smaller means harder to see. I think that my magnum becomes verry small verry fast as it is now. I can only imagine a smaller one....

SJ.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

nooooo don't imagine the roll rate, it needs to be as stable as "The daddy"
come on John, i know even you wouldn't put, or get for that matter a 36 in a Mini Tigershark, its just tooooo small, just like the planed Mini Magnum. I was thinking bigger, but the flow is heading for 10-20 size, tho there are Shrikes with 36's
36 in this would be like a tunned MVVS 40 in a Correx Delta, whos mad enough to try that me wonders
Old 03-13-2003, 05:15 PM
MMallory

Default Mini Magnum?

The mini Mag is a neat idea. It would be really great to design one around a rear exhaust Conquest .15 such that the pipe is fully enclosed. Too much smaller and it would be hard to keep up visibly. I would have likes the current Magnum to be slightly larger, enough to be able to handle retracts and also have that model with the pipe and engine enclosed. An electric mini Mag would probably sell fairly well too.

Mark M.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:31 AM
johnd

Default Mini Magnum?

i had a reply from the people who make the demon and they tryed a mini demon on a 25 but they stopped it because it was very twitchy and became very small very fast you may get some joy there if you ask nicely www.balsacabin.co.uk,as for a magnum with a pipe and engine fully enclosed phillybaby is doing just that now with a mvvs grrt check it out on his site the link is on his posts,
Old 03-23-2003, 01:22 AM
tkigar
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mini Magnum?

I too like the idea........but I would like to see a 1.20 size. exactly the same design of the Magnum. Do they make anything like that?, I also would be interested in a smaller version as I think It would be a great seller, in the ARF form. Dont let this one slip off the table......make them in both sizes. and keep up the good work Tim
Old 03-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

mini magnum and mega magnum...

woohoo.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

Thanks for the meation John, but he's not doing that right now, hes in Paris telling the damn beggers and tat sellers to &*$% OFF!!!!!
hehe back now, kinda glad i didnt have to catch up with 5 pages worth on here, but kinda disapointing too, hows things going? have we run out of steam???
Old 03-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

a bit, I've been away but will compile the results and send back to Weston in the next 2 days.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Mini Magnum?

MEGA magnum....WOOOOOHOOOOO
Old 03-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

i had an idea the other day.. MDS ( yes i know ) pile-in 15 racing engine, rear exhaust, in the canopy, nice and streamline
theres a few 21 car engines begging for this plane
Old 03-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Rudeboy

Default Mini Magnum?

NAAAHH.... make it a mega Magnum with an OS .91 VRDF...rear exhaust...nice and streamlined...

Did you guys ever notice how expensive those car engines are...? some of them little gems cost more than a OS VRDF...
Old 03-29-2003, 12:05 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

did you also notice the H.P that comes out of them? ok you need silly RPM to do it tho
I know if Weston got behind it, and seriously, i could see a webra being played with to go inside
thing is we're just a little bunch on a forum, i know i couldn't get one right away. It'd be a big risk to do it, the Magnum 50 was a sure thing from the day it was born
Old 03-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Rudeboy

Default Mini Magnum?

Well, the Magnum as it is now is a "one size fits all"...

Something bigger or smaller will have less of a market I think...

But still, a slightly bigger Magnum with retracts and a fully cowled power plant would be cool though...but probably too costly and complicated to have commercial success...

I guess I'l just have to make my own then...
Old 05-27-2003, 08:55 AM
Gricey

Default Mini Magnum?

Hi Guys, here is the email and summary that I sent to Weston, will let you know what comes back...

cheers,

Gricer

----------------
Dear WestonUK,

Many members of the RCUniverse.com online forum, considered our opinions on a Mini Magnum plane. Given the large amount of users of the system and the considerable amount of posts related to Magnums, I was somewhat surpised at the lack of responses to this thread. However, I notified all users that had previously posted about Magnums, not all users of the system (this is not possible) so perhaps the scope of the sample was somewhat limited. None the less, I think the feedback that came back was good and would like to pass it on to yourselves with my compliments.

Can I also congratulate you on the recent review of the Magnum in the June edition of RCMW, I think this article portrayed the plane in the positive light that it deserves. I would however like to draw your attention to the fact that there is a significant amount of feedback available from your loyal customers that could go towards improving the Instruction manual that you supply with the kit and maybe even also could be used as an FAQ on all manner of operating and flying instructions to do with the Magnum. It is a great plane when set up well, for a novice that mis-interprets the instructions however, it can be disasterous due to the speed at which the pilot can loose control. Gvien the popularity of the magazine, I would suspect that more than a small percentage of purchases related back to the article will be by inexperienced pilots that will surely result in crashes. A good FAQ and rework of the manual could at least prevent a few of these. Please note that our interest as a group is only to help foster a great name for the Magnum throughout the International model flyers community. A good place to get feedback example from your customers is at the following site: ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...74&forumid=162 ). If I can be of assistance in drawing out the information from the other members then I would be pleased to help.

On the subject of the Mini Magnum, there are 5 core supporters (all from different countries and that know the full size plane well) that would be interested in supporting you to test the acceptance of said design. If this seems like a timely opportunity, I'm sure we would all be happy to assist in pre-development R&D / Test flying. Please let me know if this development might be pursued.

Sincerely,

Geoff Grice
Dublin, Ireland

-----------------

Sumamry of Mini Magnum suggestions received:

* Length: 65% of original
* Wingspan: 65% of original
* ARTF
* .18 or .25 with genesis (short) pipe
* Colours: Euro flag design
* Other: mini servos allround but one for each airleron.

The mini magnum was for a .12-.17 size engine or something like that and it had a wingspan of 25", it would of been perfect for an O.S .15cva and pipe! I would also like to build a monster magnum for my 3W-50 engine with pipe!

The Micro hawk is 24"
it has just over 1.1/4" inch between the fuz sides in the nose.
fast 15 is the most i'd dare put in this plane ( after skinning the wing ), but boy would it be fast.
I like the current colourscheme. It has a "quick" look to it, and it's pretty much easy to see in the air.
As for size, 65-75% of the current model seems good to me, and i would consider going electric as an alternative to a .25-32 size glow-engine.

Thanks for the PM I would be interested in a 25 size version of this plane. I like a small plane that fits in the trunk ready to go charge fuel and fly! I Saw the larger version a few years ago and started to scratch build one for my self unfortunately I got side tracked with life and other projects. Let me know if you are able to get this accomplished I would be interested.

* Length: What ever length keeps it true scale with current Magnum after wingspan is worked out.
* Wingspan: Depends on wing loading which should be slightly lower than current Magnum. 25-30"
* ARTF or Kit: ARTF
* Engine size: 10-20 ( 25 if your R&DMFC )
* Colour scheme: ( ARTF same as current Magnum ) Kit suggestions given for F1 schemes.
* Other: SD250's all round, top hinged surfaces as per Cougar elevator. Design a high revving West 21 that just happens to do the job last thought, now Weston are selling their own RX's a COMPLETE ARTF with installed gear is very possible and a nice option.

The mini Mag is a neat idea. It would be really great to design one around a rear exhaust Conquest .15 such that the pipe is fully enclosed. Too much smaller and it would be hard to keep up visibly. I would have likes the current Magnum to be slightly larger, enough to be able to handle retracts and also have that model with the pipe and engine enclosed. An electric mini Mag would probably sell fairly well too.

I too like the idea........but I would like to see a 1.20 size. exactly the same design of the Magnum. Do they make anything like that?, I also would be interested in a smaller version as I think It would be a great seller, in the ARF form. Dont let this one slip off the table......make them in both sizes. and keep up the good work Timm
Old 05-27-2003, 02:25 PM
corey-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default Mini Magnum?

I can see the little guy wizzing past now!
Old 05-31-2003, 05:19 PM
bearsa

Default Mini Magnum?

what aerofoil section would the mini mag need or does it need to be sheet shaped to suit. i've started to draw a mini mag along the lines of this thread
Old 05-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

a section would be best, and on this size, maybe even a thicker % than on the 50
Old 05-31-2003, 08:24 PM
Rudeboy

Default Mini Magnum?

I have been measuring the Magnum wing, as I plan to built a new one... one that doesn't loose it's trimming and probably will be a fair bit lighter and faster...

The wing has something like a 5% thickness airfoil... it could be 5.5% too, it's hard to measure.
I can't tell what kind of airfoils were used for that wing, if you can even call them airfoils... the root airfoil has a very strange shape IMHO.

The wingtip has a 9% thickness airfoil.

There also appears to be a little washout built into the wing... again, hard to tell how much
Old 05-31-2003, 08:40 PM
Cactus.

Default Mini Magnum?

i saw a snapped wing, the aerofoil looked good to me.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:40 PM
caliber302003

Default RE: Mini Magnum?

hi there i have one of these demons and i love it but im looking to repaint it but cant seem to find any links with them that have a good pic of them any of you guys help?
thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Dave03B

Is the demon a kit? how complete is it?

Cheers
Dave
Old 02-18-2004, 05:56 PM
Cactus.

do a search for Balsa Cabin, it comes with all wood, don't know about acc's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.