Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

TT Pro 40 is eating up my glow plugs

Old 08-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Xardas26

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default TT Pro 40 is eating up my glow plugs

I have a Viper that's powered by a TT Pro 40 with a Nelson Performance muffler. I've been running it with a APC 8.75x 8.5 and 15% Coolpower without any problems for half a year. Last weekend the TOWER Power Glow Plug that i've been using got damaged (which is okay after half a year, I guess), but now the engine keeps eating up my glow plugs after a few minutes. Every time the coil is pushed into the glow plug. I don't know what's going on cuz i didn't change anything except for the glow plug! Do you think a head shim or a colder glow plug would solve the problem??
Old 08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: TT Pro 40 is eating up my glow plugs

See any bubbles in the fuel line that may be causing it to run a little lean? That would be my first thought, a tank or fuel line issue. You shouldn't have to change to a different type of plug just because it isn't new anymore.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 PM
neflyte3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had this same problem with my TT 40. I came to realize that 1 ball bearing came out and was flying around inside the combustion chamber causing me to lose glow plugs every flight. I only found this out though after more of them came out and I could hear tapping in the engine. After I replaced the bearings everything is fine.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Outside of the obvious, like checking the tank and lines for pressure leaks and watching for fuel foaming, it sounds like you know how to set the needle or you wouldn't have been running the same plug for such a long time. How would an engine otherwise seem like it was creeping up in compression? I have seen enough slop in the reciprocating parts end up "throwing" the piston up higher than original. Sounds like you should grip the prop real firmly and rotate it with lots of side force so you can feel for slop or any lack of smoothness. Check to see how much "dwell" the piston has at the top and bottom of the stroke. 10 degrees either side of center is normal. If all checks out OK, switch to lower nitro or throw in a shim.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:35 PM
brewski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The same thing started happening to my K&B .28. Like CP said, if it's not the obvious then look for sloop. My problem was the rod was worn on the crankshaft end and allowing the piston to go to high. My plugs looked just as you described. After replacing the rod it runs like new.