Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston UK Magnum questions

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston UK Magnum questions

Old 05-07-2003, 11:04 AM
simonbsimonb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum

200 mph is a bit optmistic this would mean revving at 23,000 plus on an 8x10 (theoreticlly achivieving 200 + mph)

West engine likes weston fuel (warrenty is void if its not used )

try dropping your oil content to 15% ( make sure that its by volume and that the oil is a good synthetic like EDL form model technics uk ( please note that an engine will run ok on less oil
but will not throttle or idle porperly below 12 %
extensive testing by model technics have proved that even 5 % oil will protec tyour engine without any significant ware but
because of idle/throttle problems not advisable unless your goin venturi
Old 05-07-2003, 11:09 AM
simonbsimonb

Default Weston UK Magnum questions

Originally posted by Rudeboy
Euhm...yes...

Mine should be arriving today... and I don't intend to order my fuel from the UK...

I'm just going to run 18% pure Synthglow and 10 nitro after break-in. Like I do on other 2 strokes.

Maybe I'll use 20% oil and no nitro for break-in, but that's as far as I'm willing to go...

I don't think it's fair that Weston UK is telling people to run nothing in that engine but the fuel they sell.

If it breaks down when I don't use their Prosynth, I'm going to sue them...
prosynth oil is very good ive been running my west engine for over a year and its like brand new if you run any more oli thru it you wont get same rev performance and speed ( and any manufactuer can
place these kind of warrentys )
Old 05-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Where do you get your fuel?

You don't order it in from the UK, do you? That would be very expensive...
Old 05-07-2003, 12:35 PM
simonbsimonb

Default prosynth

pick it up myself in uk not expensive

or mix it my self with prosynth oil
Old 05-07-2003, 01:59 PM
simonbsimonb

Default wildcat

Originally posted by Jeremy Ferguson
so what fuel should I use here? I can't get prosynth at all up here. Can I use Wildcat DF fuel?
wildcat now produce prosynth fuel
Old 05-07-2003, 04:46 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, basically, any fuel of 10% nitro and 18% oil should work then right? Prosynth just doesn't exist in Canada, and with dangerous goods, bringing it over from the UK, or even across from the US, even up from another Canadian city is ridiculously expensive.

I've always run Powermaster, I've run it in YS, Nelson, OS ducted Fans, everything I've owned without a problem. I can't imagine why warranty would void by not using a particular BRAND of fuel.
From what Alan told me at weston UK, the connecting rod failure was a result of the bushing being pressed in incorrectly. Mine failed in the first 40 seconds of running, even if I'd used no oil, the amount of damage the rod sustained would not have been fuel related.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:55 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Well guys I am sorry for the delay in the update since I am the one who started this topic. I have good and bad news to share about my magnum. First the good news, The plane is great, very fast and flies nice. NOW the bad news, MY SECOND magnum is great and flies nice. The first one did not was destroyed on the second flight. Here are some before shots.

The plane came out good I did everything I had read to do to make it a better plane, well almost. I put the CG @ 130 MM and replaced the stock elevator links. I had good JR servos in it and had no slop. The plane came out on weight just @ 4 pounds. I had to wait over a week beyond my first slight date I had waited b/c of high winds blowing all the time. 30 MPH +
Finally a good day came and I rushed out to fly. I brought a friend along to help with the launch. First flight went very well only need a little trim on the elevator. I got it down without any problems and since I flew on half throttle the entire time I decided to open it up on the second flight. Well that is where I had my problem. On my first diving pass at full speed just as I was pulling up and away I lost the right aileron. I saw it come out a little and start to flutter and tear it self up. Well I pulled the power but the plane was out of control. It kept rolling and went down almost straight in over a quarter mile away. I got to the crash site to see my awesome plane in a pile of sticks. The west engine was buried in the ground and the plane was destroyed.

The fuse was gone to the rear of the wing and the fiber top piece was massed good. The wing was not hurt too bad but had large chunks out of the leading and trailing edges.
I only lost one servo, the throttle. I must give credit to WEST for their engine. After I got all the parts home and cleaned the engine it was fine. Nothing was hurt, best of otherwise messed up. The header was fine and the pipe only had a little damage to the first 1/4 inch where it hit the header on impact. That was OK b/c I had not trimmed it at all yet anyway.
I also discovered why the plane failed. It was my fault. I should have known better. I did not pin the hinges and even though nothing is said in the instructions about this I should have done it. Seems I have one hinge on the outboard of the right aileron that the glue did not wick down into and this cost me the plane. the hinge had no glue on it past the first 1/6 of an inch.

But being a sucker for speed and knowing how well the plane did on the first flight and the reason it crashed, I ordered another. Just the kit no engine. I got it all together and this time I pined the hinges. As of this I only have 5 flight on it but it is doing awesome and I love it. I am impressed with the speed and also with how well it does on the landing with a little extra elevator. I am running coolpower 10% in it and the engine seems to like it just fine. (Can’t get prosynth here) I wanted to share this so all of you who are thinking of getting a magnum will not have the same misfortune I did and also to let you know it is a great plane. Here is my # 2 ship after the first few flights
Old 05-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i still see a straight bit on the headder, far too long
Baz took a bit more off his the other night, ooooh baby, instant improvement. APC 8x8 prosynth 5%
Old 06-26-2003, 09:10 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know any online retailers here in the US that sells them?
Old 06-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Spike373
My Feedback: (1)

Yes,
where can they be had in the USA? I have a Jett .46 that could use a new home. The old quickie 500 is getting kind of raggy. ---Mike
Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
ArthurR

Default Question - Blueprinting Header

After 15 Magnum flights, taking off the header shows a mismatch between the engine output and the header input. They don't quite match up. So with my trusty rotary grinder the header was trimmed to match the exhaust port. It hasn't been tested to see if there is any improvment.

Has anyone done this and measured the improvment?