Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

thewingsmaker.com - midget mustang

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

thewingsmaker.com - midget mustang

Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thewingsmaker.com - midget mustang

Anyone see the new midget mustang from www.thewingsmaker.com advertised in the new model aviation magazine.

http://www.thewingsmaker.com/airplan...php?code=GA028

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21614.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	761076  
Old 09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thewingsmaker.com - midget mustang

jeffk464:

Yea, have seen it. Interesting concept, sport racer, almost 60 inch span. Shades of the Little Tony, Shoestring, Alley Cat. All fly well as sport airplanes, size and draggy design take them out of real go fasters. With a Jett 90 LX, best you can anticipate is around 130mph. Perhaps with a fan engine like a OS 91 VRDF you could make it scoot. The rear exhaust and carb would make the engine install a little tough I think. I have two of these in the motor closet, but they stay there waiting for time to make a home brew one off designed around the engine installation needed. The Jett 90LX is good for around 15K, the OS vrdf 22K. The 22,000 plus engine is very interestilng to me, hope to get to this build in the near future. Have a Krangke swept wing off their F20 that should work out ok, but is a little fat for a real scooter. Room for retracts though. As I said, very interesting. Should send a engine to one of the Buddude 8 brothers and see what they may come up with, but would surley haunt me in the long run. ENJOY
Old 09-12-2007, 02:43 PM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

roger, when am i going to get this point into your head. the os91df will not turn the kind of prop that these planes need to get them going. the guys that are using these are on planes with a small fuse. The tractor fan unit that it is supposed to be used on is only 4.75"-5.25" in diameter with very small pitch on the rotors. that is where that engine is best turning 22ks. Anyways back to the subject at matter. I purchased the only one they had. It is a World Models Midget mustang with different Markings. I will say the construction is better than the older ones. I am going to actualy build this one with the hardware that came with the kit, Of couse i will do the obvious strengthening where needed for my 90lx. Here are some pics. Should be flying it this next thursday with my bro. Sorry Roger wont make it again this year. We are heading up Saturday day to see our grandma, and then to redding to see my our Aunt. Would love to stop by and see you, but we are making a long trip from redding all the way out to our river house in Arizona to spend a couple of days on the water. More later after she has been flown.

Name:	Ki19804.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	761739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91787.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	761740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13128.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	761741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57016.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	761742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36875.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	761743  
Old 09-12-2007, 09:42 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bud, do you think a tower .75 with a bisson muffler would fit within the cowling or would the bisson stick out the bottom? By your pictures the plane looks be of hight quality, I'm anxious to hear your flight report.

If I could achieve 100mph in level flight with my tower .75 and bisson muffler I would be happy.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 PM
buddude8

i dont think the bisson will fit unless you hack the bottom of the cowling out. The .75 would get you to your achieved 100 if that is what your goal is. I would mount it inverted and get some os extentions for a 91, or better yet give jett a call and see if they have extentions for that engine. when i have my engine mounted i will post pics.

ken
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 PM
buddude8

jeff. Just to let you know, since you live in california the price with shipping and tax came out to exactly 200.00
Old 09-26-2007, 02:51 AM
chris8105
My Feedback: (22)

Did you get the Mustang done yet? I was looking at getting one. I was hoping you could tell me how the hardware is that comes with the plane. Also what you found that needed strengthening. Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 PM
quankmaster

I got this plane from Thewingsmaker about 2 weeks ago and put a Evolution .61 in it. I haven't quite finished the last few items, so I haven't flown it, but it's a really nice plane so far and looks alot nicer than in the photos. I could not make the evolution fit in one of the side buldges without cutting one partially so had to go inverted. The muffler sticking out looks better than a side buldge cutout.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 AM
buddude8

Sorry it took so long for me to get back on this. The jett90lx was a perfect match for this plane. The thing that i like best about the midget out of all the 1/4 scale racers that i have had is that you can perform 3d with this plane as well as going fast. Knife edges, hovering and torque rolls are obtainable with this plane. Surprising though, my little toni with a jett90l that was turning 500rpms less was faster when my bro and i raced them. Here are the pics of the engine install. I used the little toni exention set up that jett sales to fit the muffler.

Name:	Zx70133.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	776749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86793.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	776750   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27361.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	776751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp38838.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	776752  
Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 AM
patzane

what is the latest on this plane any reports yet. I have a tower 75 looking for a home and this seem like a great bird to put her in
Old 01-29-2008, 02:08 PM
cutter-nj
My Feedback: (4)

Hi All
Just saw this web posting, found by my friend the director. I finished my last week and have flown it 3 times. I have a YS .91 mounted upside down, the fit is perfect, only had to cut out an opening for the head and small are for the muffler extesion. The finished product is the best I have ever build( doing this 3 years and built over 290 odels). I had to place the battery towards the tail section, did this by placing a door on the undersurface this way I was able to balance it on the rec CG. I instaslled standard servos for all except elevetor, I used high torgue here. As I said the planes finished perfectly looks great easy to build.
Flight: First flight just required minor trim, with the YS .91 it took off within 20 feet, normail flight at 1/2 power. Planes feel like it is on rails, performed well in all manuvers, vertical till it was too far for me to see. Landing the planes sets up well but it does not bleed off speed easly, I used 3/4 of the runway flying at about 5 feet off the deck. I am thinking of using flaporans in the future. My only dissapointment is that with my engine combination it is not as fast as I expected,. I know that with a two stroke engine this would be faster still I am a little dissapointed.
Over all I think this is a great ARF, well made using all included hardware, my only concern is the lading gears and well pants, they have lasted for the last 3 flights but I don't have hope of them lasting the season.
P.S. My last flight the runway was frozen and with this landing gear the plane bounced all over the place and hiopped into the air before it should havem, thank God the YS had the power to pull me up in the air before it stalled.
HAve fun