Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Screamin Demons Cousin - Fast Fun Fly Delta

Old 09-14-2007, 12:44 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Screamin Demons Cousin - Fast Fun Fly Delta

While flight testing the Screamin Demon it did very well at flying slow or fast. It seemed so easy to convert it to a fast or slow fun fly Delta that I gave it a shot. The build was easy and flight test coming very soon will tell the story. I was not worried about all out speed so I left off the nose ring and built it flat like a Diamond Dust. This cut hours off the build time and part of that went back into the dual rudders and landing gear development. I set up the gear so it could be taken off in about a minute and flown without it when speed was wanted. The RTF weight is 2 lbs 11 oz with out gear and 2 lbs 13 oz with gear. 1/8" music wire and very light wheels were used and it is possible that 5/32" wire and heavier wheels may be needed. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13374.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	762614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72969.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	762615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46074.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	762616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49334.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	762617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34516.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	762618  
Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Screamin Demons Cousin - Fast Fun Fly Delta

Mike, the model is so light....the LG should work at a nice field. Hope to hear a good report!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Screamin Demons Cousin - Fast Fun Fly Delta

Two flight today with mixed results. There is a short video of a takeoff and landing and a couple of passes. Most of the maneuvers were done at altitude so much of the video was worthless and I cut most of it.

With a tail skid it would not taxi with any control. A tail wheel may help but I suspect the moment is too short. We did Full throttle Q-500 style takeoffs with out any problems. The two landings were not bad and the 1/8" wire and light wheels held up fine so far. The rudders were fairly effective and it would snap roll and a knife edge was doable. A few 3-D maneuvers were tried with little success. This one was slower then my first prototype built for speed.

My next time out I will move the CG back a little, add more elevator and less aileron. I will also fly it with out gear on one flight as I suspect that is adding most of the drag.

Landing gear and rudders are very doable but IMO it takes away more then it adds. I would not add gear with out rudders as the takeoffs could be something you will remember. [X(] I feel this plane is in its element without them.

Short YouTube video. Maybe a better one next time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjP_Yy4I5BY