Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Matney's ZOOMER

Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Matney's ZOOMER

The blocks in the wing sound like a good idea. Also I would like to split the elevator as well. The tail well will be mandatory as I want this to be a sneaky sport plane!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
daven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my eye on you Roger.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Big D:

How are you at 3D?? Can do rolling circles yet?? Will bondo fix that hole in the wing?? Did you know that a Nelson venturi & needle will fit right in the hole of a Jett 60LX and max out the rpm scale of the tnc tach pushing a 8.5 X 8 cf apc. wheee May just pull that out of the Avi-Star. ENJOY
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
daven

LOL,

Roger, I have a Jett .35 on my Tribute 4d that does the best rolling circles, but I'm not the best 3d flier as I do ALL of my maneuvers at Full Power. I have been known to do rolling circles with a Quickie after a good race

It would take a lot of Bondo to fix that hole, I'll get it cleaned up nicely over the winter. I was not aware of the needle compatability, but you definately won't catch me flying an "avistar"
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
z06kal

rmenke for something the size of a miss ashley you would want a LOT more power to get or surpass nelson performance. My first E-powered pylon project was a wildhare LR1. I used mega's biggest motor the 36/30/3 and a 6S 4200 pack. It pulled about 65 amps on a 7x7 prop. This setup was good to about 138ish on radar doing level passes running a flat circular course. Out of a dive 150+ was easily attainable but I dont' consider that real world performance. I tried to prop up to a 7.4x8 Q40 prop to get some more speed but this pulled 80 amps and at 6S voltage it cooked the Mega motor good in a single run up test. The 36/30/3 is a real big motha too. This thing was really heavy for the wing area and it was a nightmare to land. 36oz/sqft loading.

The next project was a Royal Models Trick. This thing had a crazy fat draggy symetrical wing. I mean hella draggy it was litteraly 1" thick. Big ol Aveox long can 36/30/2, CC125 controller, and Hyperion 6S 3700 batteries. I ran a 7x7 prop on this as well. The first time I ran it up it was a frightning ammount of power. It was insanely loud. It was pulling 100 amps settling to mid 80's at 21 volts. In an honost straight line it was mid 150's despite the very draggy wing. Out of a dive it was doing 170+ easily. For giggles I put the plane on course with a Nelson powered Q500 and they were fairly close in a straight line but I had a lot more exit accleration. So clearly to me 2000 watts is the point where you eclipse nelson power.

Now that Neu makes a low turn high voltage motor (19 series) I want to do a 12S pulling about 60 amps. If I can find an airframe that is pretty sleek compared to the Trick was this should do an easy 180.

None of the built in Controller BEC's are good for high voltage. Castle creations now makes a very good cheap BEC as does UBEC. Just google it and you will find a source for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b32TrOxF6Q
Old 09-26-2007, 01:07 AM
rmenke

D:

Well, anyone who loves their Jett 35 as much as I do cant be ALL bad. You LA bums all laugh at the Avi-Star scooter, would like a chance to make them eat words amoung other nasty things. ------MESSAGE TEXT CONTINUES----CENSORED FOR THE SAKE OF THE CHILDREN. HE HE HE
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 AM
rmenke

kAL: Thanks for the info. Will look into the Castle stuff and see what I can find. The Mega motor and 4000mah battery go into a multiplex fun jett. Recent article has the setup in the 130-140's with good stability, just had to try one. Would probably sell my soul to outrun DN and some of the real fast gang with a electric. I will get my local guys with around 140mph if it will grove on a two pylon course. Apparently some of the other guys are getting close to 200 out of this thing with other gear, but have not found anything on line as yet. Think 140-150 is about all I can handle with the small size of this thing and my deteriorating eyesight. If nothing else, will scare um all away. ENJOY Bro 119
Old 09-30-2007, 07:01 AM
zeuglodon

Just ordered one of these things. I really like the concept (bare fuse & wing cores) ....I seldom build anything "straight from the box" anyway. Not going to race it - just go fast. I've flown mostly electric the last 5 years, but our club recently acquired a new field (actually and old private airport) with a paved runway and all the open airspace you could want. Great place to fly fast slimers. It will have either a YS 45 or (if I can find the money in the toy budget) a 60LX . Somebody needs to post some pictures....if my kit arrives soon I'll get some up.

Rick
Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 AM
rmenke

Its going to take you a while to build this bird, so take your time and save coin toward that Jett 60LX. Its well worth the time and effort. Gonna be a beautiful combo, idle like a stort engine and turn up almost to racilng engines rpm, 18-19,000 rpms is not peanuts. Nice part, you dont have to fly around WFO, throttle back when you want and just enjoy. Give us some build pics along the way and a flight repot, you will enjoy the process.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
neflyte3

I'd love to see some pics of the build, not too confident of a builder but this model has caught my eye as of late.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 PM
z06kal

Nobody got their Zoomer? No pics up? Don't let this thread die!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 PM
vertical grimmace

I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Kevin e-mailed 2 Fridays ago saying he would try to ship it that weekend. Well I was out if town for a week and I do not know if it showed up or not while I was gone. I have no way of knowing weather it has shipped or not, or even how it shipped so I could track it.
I am not in a huge hurry, but it would be nice to know what is happening. I have only sent one e-mail but it has been unanswered. I still plan a build thread when it does arrive.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Funny, I have been looking at the Zoomer for a year or so. I presume the wing sheeting would be 1/16th and glassed? Don't suppose the wing could stand up to G loads with just Monokote or Ultracote? I have a JETT .46 that needs a home. [X(]

Thanks
GPB
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GPB,

For pylon planes it is recommended that 3/32" be used on top and 1/16" on the bottom on foam. Glassed in the center. Carbon strips on both sides are a plus. 3/32" on top is for strength in compression in the turns.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 PM
z06kal

Personally I would route out the wing and goop in a carbon spar. Then vacuum bag the wing in glass or carbon and completely skip the balsa sheeting. Wing should be good to go no matter how hard you yank it at that point.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
rmenke

Guys:

Remember, keep it light. Light balsa 3/32 wing, glass center section, few paint coats as possible. Mine started life at close to 4 pounds and flew very well. Landing gear blocks added in the wing, typical 5/32 wire gear. It lead a life of one wierd crach or hard landing after another. Servo died, glow plug quit at pylon 1, hole in fuel line etc. Total of repairs brought the total weight to near 7 pounds. With the added weight, went from a good flyer to a dog. If you build it heavy, gonna be a pretty dog. Non't cry we did not tell you!!!! ENJOY
Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
vertical grimmace

I am really looking forward to building this plane. I have not sheeted a wing in a little while, but always enjoy it. I am planning on adding thin carbon fiber on the trailing edge sandwiched between the skins. This way I will be able to have a straight, sharp, T.E. What are the current prefered laminating adhesives to use when applying the wing skins? I would assume epoxy, but I know there are others. I would think Poly U (ultimate glue etc.) would work great. So long as you had enough time to get everything aligned.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 PM
rmenke

VG:

I currently use Z-poxy finishing resin PT-40. Gives you at least 15 minutes in the summer and 30 in the winter. I assume you bag your suff, the cost of a good workbench today is more than a vaccume system. I still use weight on the shucks method as I have a 7' streight and level workbench that will not deflect any with 180 lbs in the middle. ENJOY
Old 10-04-2007, 04:28 PM
vertical grimmace

Actually, I work in a woodshop so the desireable solid core doors are readily available for me. I do not have a bag system, so I will be weighing down the shucks. That always worked well for me but I do know the benefits of a bag. I have used them at work. The Z-poxy seems to be popular. I may have to try it.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
zeuglodon

I'm thinking I'm gonna use the poly-u glue (gorilla glue or whatever). I haven't tried it for sheeting but I like the working time and it's definitely strong enough. I'm just going to use weight. I build on a glass diplay case and it's perfectly flat.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i roll on polyurethane glue with a 4-6" foam roller. i push/ spread the glue out to a fine sheen with the roller. you can hold the core up in the light to find spots you've missed. i then mist the balsa with water apply to the core and clamp. i use 3/4 " mdf board over the core and shucks and then clamp on all sides firmly but not too much. the next day you can't remove the balsa skins with a hammer and chisel. i love poly glue.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 PM
rmenke

Friends:

If I can pass on one thing I have learned in nearly 60 years of buildilng model aircraft it would be the need for a stable, flat, streight and level workbench. You simply can not build something as close as we need on a new or old, hollow core or soild core door, or two stacked etc. or any other similar surface. Give yours a test. Find a good streight edge or spirit level, long enough to nearly reach the length of your table. Now, sit the SE on the table from left to right corner. Take a playing card and see if it will slip under the streight edge. Then go to the opposite and inspect again. Did the card go under the SE at any point? Is the bubble centered on the bench in all directions? If so, your bench is out of whack and so will be anything you build on it. Assuming your bench passes this test, now place 2-4 concrete building blocks in the center. Is there ANY deflection from the weight based on the playing card test? Maby some twist? Anything you build will follow your work surface, especially foram cores and built up wings. Doors used as tables will frequently twist some depending on the moisture in the air on that given day, just like the doors in your house during the winter. I am not opposed to doors used as a table top, just against doors laid on some saw horses or other temporary framework. Steel frames and tops can be a problem from heat distorting the framework during the building process. Sooo, you ask, old poop, what did you do, build yours with a transit. Well, acutually yes for final finish level, but not really necessary. You can build from normal dimensional lumber, 2 X 4, 2 X 6 etc. but finding some streight wood today is nearly impossible. You can take some select material to your local cabinet or door shop and have it streightened.

Its best, and cheapest to start a bench with lumber yard micro-lams or mini-lams. These are man made materials and truly streight when purchased, and will not shrink with time. You should be able to purchase 1-7/8 X 8 X anything from a good lumber yard. If you cant get a 6 or 8" deep lam, get a 12 or 14, and have the yeard cut it in half for you. A 8' bench needs 8" rails to avoid deflection. Make side rails and ends all from the same material, fasten with screws at least 2" into the joining materials. For a 3' wide or 4' wide bench, you need only 3 beams 2" OC. My bench is 3 X 7 and works out well. Find some quality marine 1/2"plywood and cut to size. Do not scrimp here or you will pay dearly in the long run. With your frame square and level, attach the ply top with 1-1/2" screws counter sunk into the ply about 12" O.C. Now, back to your streight edge play. If the ply is not perfect, place a playing card between the frame and top and use the screws to adjust the height until level. Its importent to get everything flat and level so you can measure off the table top or use incidence meeters knowing you are working off a level surface. You need only to keep the plane in place when using incidence meeters as you can adjust for a datum line to get back to 0 or whatever. So now, your almost done with a great new bench. Put one or two buddies in the center of the bench along with your streight edge. Will bet there is no-nada-zip deflection even with 300 pounds or so. That my friends is a work bench. Now, spray the entire bench with a non-water based paint so it does not move during high moisture periods. Oh, yea, gotta bench, what you gonna pin to. Buy 2-3-4 pieces of sheet rock from the lumber yead, cut to bench size. Now you have multiple layers of pin and cut board. Use both sides of each board. I do 4 at a time, and tape the cut edge with duct tape. The 4 will last me for a lot of years. I spackle and sand any minor bad spots created with dumb thumb. If you want a movable table, make the legs from 4 X 4 and add wheels. Wheels make things easy to move around, but gotta level in place before starting a new building project. Oh-yea, the finished product is heavy, so don't plan on running it over to a buds house for a quick project without some large help. What ever you build now is going to be streight and level, even the arf's will become better flyers just cause they are right on. ENJOY
Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
vertical grimmace

The Micro-lam is a good idea. I will be checking my bench and possibly getting a section of micro-lam for pressing my wings.
Again though, I am still waiting for my Zoomer. It was supposed to have shipped 2 weeks ago and I am not able to get any response. Just sent out another e-mail so we shall see.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:08 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VG,

It has been said before that Matney will deliver, it may just take some time. I still want to here your impression of what you get when it does show up. I do love the look of the Zoomer, and still would like to build one. You go first and do the build thread!!!!!!!!!

Tony
Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 PM
vertical grimmace

The Zoomer was supposed to have shipped on Tuesday of this week so any day now! Keep the fingers crossed. When it shows up I will start a new thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.