Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

do i need the baffle?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

do i need the baffle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM
1fasthitman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need the baffle?

I've been told, removing the baffle from inside the stock muffler of my 2 stroke will give me higher peak rpm. Is this correct, or will it mess up my back pressure?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: do i need the baffle?

It doesn't mess with back pressure far as I can tell, but I have no idea about rpm's
Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never seen it hurt rpm. You might find that finding the best idle and high speed setting [at the same setting] is more difficult, but who cares?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:37 AM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

The only way you will know is to fly it with the baffle and then without and then you will know!
Can't hurt anything.
If you really want peak rpm "TWEEK THE NEEDLE"[X(]
SJ
Old 10-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I removed a the baffle and drilled out the exit hole on a 46 FX a few years ago and saw a gain of about 200-300 rpm.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:01 PM
TIA

In club pylon racing the rules allow the removal of the baffle. I know nobody that runs it. That should be an indication.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:07 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

You may, or may not get a rpm increase by removing the baffle, depends on the engine and exhaust system. Drilling out the exit pipe also may give you some additional rpm, but at the expence of needed back pressure? If your bird runs lean in the turns, chances are you went to far. Fix it cause your hirting the engine in every turn. Want your engine to scoot just a little more? Learn to use a good tackometer and where your engine is most happy. Funny thing is each and every engine will be a little different. Its up to you to find where each one is happy. Usually you can peak it out and back off 5-600 rpm and be in the safe range. I have one that runs best just into the pipe from blubbering, still rich. Once in the air it cleans up, unwinds like crazy and gos like a striped butt bat. Peak it out and back off 6-800 and its a fishing weight at best. A Webra 55 pulling a 10 X 10. ENJOY
Old 10-06-2007, 04:28 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What engine? I remove the baffle from all of my engines. They are in there to reduce noise. It may effect your back pressure but I doubt the venturi opening is large enough to effect your engines ability to draw fuel. Generally removing this baffle increases rpm.
The downside is, once you open up the muffler it is difficult to get them to stay together. I am really not a fan of those 2 piece mufflers and the reason why they are is so the baffle can be installed in the 1st place! The best solution is to add one of the MACs one piece black mufflers. These will sometimes show an increas over a stock muffler and somtimes not but they do not have a baffle and they will not fall apart in flight. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZ649&P=ML
Old 10-06-2007, 05:53 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The TT 40 has a muffler that can fly apart. The fix is to replace the stock screw with 4-40 threaded rod, double nut and Locktite both ends.