Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Anyone flying a predator 500?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Anyone flying a predator 500?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:08 AM
Rforce1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone flying a predator 500?

I have a TT pro.46 thats collecting dust, and desperately needs a home. Any Ideas? I was thinking of a predator, or maybe a shrike, although I would prefer something with landing gear.

I'm open to suggestions, although I would really like an ARF or a fast build kit, I'm still trying to finish up my Jett .50 powered patriot.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:41 AM
CONTENDER

Default The Predator

Gixxer,
I'm finishing up a Predator now, (If I can get my garage workshop warm enough for the glue to set!!). I'll be using a Max 46FX , with a Mac's muffler, and plan to just fly it for fun, not racing.
I would really recommend it. It's cheap, and a well done ARF.
I know the guys in the pylon forum look down on it in favor of their $200 to $300 composit Quickies, but for an easy to finish ARF, that should really scream with any engine, I don't think you can beat it.
In fact, I was thinking I might fly it with a Max 32SX. With the savings in weight, this might be just as fast as the 46FX.
I'll post when the snow melts, and I get a chance to fly it.
Good luck on your choice!

CONTENDER
Old 03-13-2003, 11:56 PM
SSAN

Default Re: The Predator

Originally posted by CONTENDER
I know the guys in the pylon forum look down on it in favor of their $200 to $300 composit Quickies, but for an easy to finish ARF, that should really scream with any engine, I don't think you can beat it.

CONTENDER
We wishes the Composite Quickie would only cost $200-300. It's more like $450-650 for one.

Yes, some of the racers does look down upon it, but that because the Predator does not have the built quality as it should straight from the factory. Although, one can reinforce it strong enough to race in Quickie Sportman Class (AMA 424) and be competitive. But we would not dare to race it in AMA 428 (Expert Class). Why? Well, the Predator does not have carbon fiber spar on the wing for the Jett or Nelson powered and the wing would fold (it already has). Plus, the Composite Quickie or good Wood Quickie would leave it in the dust to say the least.

But don't be discourage because for the price, it's a great airplane for Sport flying as well as Entry Level racing. It help a lot of new racers out there and we're thankful that it's available.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:46 AM
Rforce1

Thanks for the info guys,

I don't plan on doing any racing (not yet anyway), I'm just looking for a relatively quick plane that will accommodate my tt .46, and build fast. I think I'm going to order one, I want to get used to flying something a little quicker before I fly my patriot that I put some time into.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:46 PM
LOONY BOY

gixxer
Check out the sonic 500, nice and fast and goes together quick.
Perfect for the TT pro.46 I have one with an os 46fx.
Loonyboy
Old 03-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Rforce1

Loon Boy,

Is there any websites where I can check that plane out?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-14-2003, 07:11 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sonic 500

Your going to have trouble finding the Sonic 500 stateside, as I don't think its been made here in a few years.

I have both a Sonic and a Predator and they are both fine planes. The Predator is an ARF, while the Sonic was an ARC.

The Predator will be perfect for your .46.

Best of luck.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:29 AM
LOONY BOY

gixxer
Here is a pic and some dimensions. In australia it is avaliable in ARF and ARC, but like daven said you might have troubles finding it. They did stop production for a while but now they seem easy to find here, thats what my LHS said.

LOONY BOY

http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/mai...c/sonic500.htm
Old 03-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Rforce1

LoonyBoy Thanks for the link. I'm gonna look around and see if I can find one of those, nice looking plane, if not I'll order up the predator. Ether one should serve the purpose.

Thanks for the advice guys!!
Old 03-16-2003, 01:19 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny....I'm in the same boat as you.

One plane I'm looking at is the Weston Magnum, mainly because of the cool looks (and there are not many in this area), plus its a cheap arf.

I estimated a speed of ~100mph with tt 46 & macs pipe. One guy in another thread states that is about what he gets with an os 46 clone (forgot type).

Let us know what you decide...
Old 03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Rforce1

I thought about the magnum as well...I am just in the market for something that I don't have to hand launch

I'll let you know which one I decide one...I want to order one in a few days, but right now Im not sure what direction to go in, there's just too many!!!
Old 03-25-2003, 01:33 PM
bmissig

I have a predator 500. Very docile at half throttle. With a OS46FX
and MACS pipe it will turn 14200 rpms on the ground with an APC
10x7. It takes off in 30 feet. Lands in 300 feet. At 115.00 definitely
a best buy! I bought it to practice for the Patriot I'm building.