Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Magnum tank installation

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum tank installation

Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnum tank installation

Nothing earth-shattering here, but someone had written me privately asking about tank options for the Magnum and I shot a couple of pictures of mine. So I thought I'd post them in case they are of interest to any other Magnum owners.

The tank used is a Jett 8 oz. "standard", which is 2" OD by 5-1/2" long. It's fits perfectly in the tank area, and juts out a bit into the radio compertment as you can see - which doesn't matter one bit since everything is aft of there anyhow. So far (knock on wood) I have not had one bad run, or blown a single plg, in fact after 30 some flights I am on the same plug and it still idles and transitions just fine. Also shown is something I did to satisfy myself that there wasn't a long length of silicone tubing flapping in the high speed breeze, which is a length of 1/8" Al tubing coupled to the pipe pressure tap and running between the pipe and the fuselage to the tank pressure inlet. Normally it is pinned down - originally it had a clip bonded into the fuselage side where that small chunk of silicone tubing is positioned near the middle, but I did a lousy job on the clip and it eventually came out. So the simple and obvious fix was simply to tie-wrap it to the pipe coupler. You don't see that here because I just trimmed the header a bit more and reinstalled it and haven't put a new strap on yet.

Anyhow, for those that haven't used them before, bladder tanks are dead simple to use, and since my experience with them in the Magnum I have installed them in a couple of other sport aircraft as well.

Bladder tank or no, I now make it standard practice to kill the engine in flight rather than let it run dry, and I am sure some are thinking "well, of course you do that silly!". Although I let it run dry a few times with no apparent problems (note that I do avoid the temptation to keep cranking the needle in for those last 37 rpm..) the problem is that I finally realized that every time I had a problem with the prop stopping near TDC, and thus hanging down to snap off on landing, was when I let the engine run dry. When I kill it in flight from full throttle, so far (knocking on wood once again) it has come up against compression and stopped horizontal every time.

Cheers

MJD

p.s. I took the foam off the Rx to see the back of the tank - yes it is usually wrapped!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39817.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	784055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18236.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	784056  
Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Magnum tank installation

MJD:

Really? Did not know props would ever stop anywhere else than vertical, at least for me. The up side, makes you a better flyer when you have to gently rock your wings at prop height during landing flair. Another reason I own APC stock. ENJOY
Old 10-16-2007, 02:30 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

MJD......

great post. I received a few questions about that recently. I guess quite a few folks ran into foaming issues with the Magnums they were picking up off of the auctions.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:09 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: bob27s

MJD......

great post. I received a few questions about that recently. I guess quite a few folks ran into foaming issues with the Magnums they were picking up off of the auctions.
I never bothered trying with the supplied clunk tank so have no input on that setup, I just put in a bladder tank from the get-go. 8 ounces is plenty for Magnum flights, you run out of amusing things to do with it before the fuel is gone*. I am also totally AR about prop balancing, and the engine runs silky smooth. I trust nobody even thinks about using plastic spinners.. [:'(] I also recall Weston advised that the props never touch the spinner opening as this causes a wear/stress point which can lead to puking a blade - made sense. I've run 9-6, 8-9 and 8-8 props so far with no problems other than the darn things snap when they hit the ground first on landing. I still have not got to my pylon prop trials, got distracted by a few other things. Manana, manana..

MJD

* occasionaly I find myself wondering how cool it would be to see it do a terminal dive at full throttle from 1000 feet and pile in about 100 feet in front of me with the camera rolling. [>:]
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
hhager2
My Feedback: (25)

Hi gang I posted some for sale here on RC Universe. They are on Ebay also but I did discount on this site. So who has hit 250 mph?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: hhager2

Hi gang I posted some for sale here on RC Universe. They are on Ebay also but I did discount on this site. So who has hit 250 mph?
Nobody has or ever will with a Magnum. Dream on dude!