Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Lr-1 wish list

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lr-1 wish list

Bit of a side track but there are lots of 40 sized stuff available, true not much in the arf sense. Why not make something like the German speedster in jeffk464 post. Something 60 sized or 91DF, I would buy about 5 of them myself if you make them.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
samtech

cncswiss1,
Would you go to the trouble of finding the right swan neck header? I was thinking if you couldn't find it at the local hobby shop it was outside of my scope.... I don't know if I'd go looking for a swan neck..... sure would be cool though. What'ch'all think?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
cncswiss1

I have a rear ex motor in mind when I get one, but also have a few swan neck headers as well, they work well and are not that pricey.. either way it would be a way of omitting the bulge and still have the option to use a full pipe under the cowl with a SE engine...

I guess what I am saying is that with inverted mounting and an optional pan there are really 3 choices, SE engine hang stuff out in the breeze, RE engine and belly pan and hide the pipe, or secret option #3 with a little research on the net you can have a SE engine with the pipe in back under the pan.. just trying to come up with more options.

edits for spelling
Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM
samtech

I like it! Belly pan might become not so optional... There needs to be a pipe shaped recess in the bottom of the wing to keep the pan from getting to large and draggy... I'm thinking more low-mid wing than low wing.... I..... got a think about it for awhile.... It'll fit.....
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM
samtech

Better?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10534.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	794524  
Old 10-31-2007, 11:12 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

My vote is on the REAR EXHAUST low wing. I have plenty of rear exhaust motors. YS .61, rossi .61, .90 and.81 DF, mvvs .28 RE, OS .25 VRF, mvvs .91 RE. I have the swan headers to match all of these. You get in the .61 to .91 class and you have a winner. Even the 25-30 class is good too.
Count me in to purchase one.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea, either in cowl rear exhaust or stock muffler sticking out the side. Everyone will be happy now.

PS - that front end looks very nice
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

So the question remains. What features would you like to see in a $150-200 all composite ARF? I think the LR-1 is a good plane but a copy is not what I wish to produce. But a 140ish (137-142)on the radar gun with a Supertigre GS-45 isn't bad at all. Not record breaking but for a sport engine I think the results speak for themselves.
A complete plane with all the hardware and that will accomodate a sport engine nicely is the idea. Cheap, fast and fun.
Samtech,

Have you come up with more details on this plane? How many SQ inches on the wing? What is the wingspan?
I am saying 375 sqs and 55-60 wingspan. This would give it a nice aspect ratio for speed and low drag.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
cncswiss1

I think the line art looks great.. the fit underneath will be tight for sure..
Old 11-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

A couple of thoughts or ideas. Moving the wing higher will provide more room for a pipe, but will weaken the fuselage, unless you go to two separate wing panels that plug in from each side, instead of a one-piece wing, and leave the fuselage sides similar to your earlier sketch. Using joiner tubes for the wing panels, you avoid having to mold a clearance trough in the middle of the wing, and might get more room for the tuned pipe, since the joiner tubes aren't as thick as the wing center section. Wouldn't want the belly of the plane to look pregnant. Another line of thought would be to offer two different fuselages, one for rear-exhaust and one for side exhaust engines, or perhaps just offer different belly pans(?) to accommodate customer wishes.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
samtech

You guys are great! This is super good stuff! Ok, wing 360ish sqs but short wingspan, around 50 inchs. Fully symetrical 8% wing. I'm trying to keep it a one peice wing to keep the cost down. Still playing with the fuse to get is right.... Fairly low wing, not pregnat... And still stuff everything in... Planning on incapsolating a couple of strips of PVC foam to act as a spar so the fuse will still be really strong and light. Shape make structure, materal only adds weight. Gonna do everything in my power to keep it under 4 pounds all up weight with a ST-45, 5 HS-85 MGs and a big ol' Macs pipe.