Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Any Kits For .46 Engine?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Any Kits For .46 Engine?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any Kits For .46 Engine?

I'm new to speed and I really like building kits. I've got a couple .46 engines sitting here. Both are very low time engines and run great.

Who makes a kit that I can build for one (or both) of these engines? They are not the same brand engine, so a twin with engines on the wings might not work too well. But a push/pull kit would work. I don't know if there is such a thing as a push/pull twin for speed, but I'd try it.

Open to suggestions. No ARFs, please. [:'(]

Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any Kits For .46 Engine?

You could build a quickie 500 kit and cut the wing down on it for some extra speed!
www.supertrc.com has some nice ones. Check out the seeker.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:50 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second the Q500. Depending on your expectations, a Lanier Dominator 500 is a great choice. It can be built V or conventional tail and is likely the fastest thing at your local field with a good 46 on it. They are not competitive with the current higher end race kits, but they are great sport racers. Price is about $70 plus shipping direct from Lanier.

http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/

If you want a delta, Mike Connor may still have some of his Screamin' Demon kits left, there is a build thread in this forum. I have one and it is a nice kit, and reasonably priced.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6034143/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6558728/tm.htm

Mark
Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Rcpilot

I'm likin' that Seeker.[8D]

I don't mean to be whiny--but it's gotta have landing gear. Belly landings at our field = destroyed airplane. Praire dog mounds, yukka plants, scrub-brush, softball sized rocks--just too many ways to crunch an airframe. The runway is concrete.

Also that Venom looks good. You can pick up a Viper wing from Tower on Scratch & Dent sometimes for $30 or $40.

I was just talking to Flyboy Dave and we looked at that NitroPlanes Swallow. I know, it's an ARF. [:'(] It's cheap and it looks fast. I do happen to have a TH .75 engine lying around too. Me and FBD was talking about slapping the TH .75 on that little Swallow.[X(] That would be sick!!!

I can still build a kit for one of these .46 engines though. I got a Magnum .46 here that runs darn good. I had it mounted on a World Models Skyradier Machll. We were doing some informal pylon racing at the club. I clipped a pylon pole--running about 6' off the deck-- and it hit the dirt faster than I could say "Uh-oh!"

Also have an Aquacraft airboat engine that I got for cheap at the LHS last year. It was kinda doggy outta the box, but 2 gallons later--it's an animal!! I guess it just needed to loosen up a bit.

Both of these engines are quite impressive now. I realize they are just sport engines. Not a Nelson or Jett. I just want something to satisfy this itch I got. I think either will perform well enough.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The Q-500 designs are always fun.....

as an alternate suggestion, www.junorc.com Check out the F-20 Real nice flying plane, looks good, flys well with most .46 size engines up front.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Rcpilot

Thanks Bob. I had an F-20 in mind when I posted this, but didn't think anyone made them. I knew Direct Connection used to make an F-20, but I haven't seen one of those in quite sometime.

That F-18 would be fun with my TH .75 too.

Well, in a very short timeframe--I've gone from thinking I'd be extremely limited in my kit selection--to agonizing over which one to build now. I really thought you guys would point me too one or maybe two kits and I'd have to flip a coin. Now I'm stuck trying to make up my mind over which one. Between the F-20, Seeker and Venom--I really like the F-20. That F-18 looks like it would be fun with the .75 engine and retracts too.

My B-day is coming up and my wife told me to get an airplane for myself. Might have to get 2.

Thanks guys. If you know of any other kits, please let me know.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:20 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob beat me to it. The Tsunami is another option.
You should also be able to pick up a Patriot kit if you look around a bit.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Thanks Bob. I had an F-20 in mind when I posted this, but didn't think anyone made them. I knew Direct Connection used to make an F-20, but I haven't seen one of those in quite sometime.

That F-18 would be fun with my TH .75 too.

Well, in a very short timeframe--I've gone from thinking I'd be extremely limited in my kit selection--to agonizing over which one to build now. I really thought you guys would point me too one or maybe two kits and I'd have to flip a coin. Now I'm stuck trying to make up my mind over which one. Between the F-20, Seeker and Venom--I really like the F-20. That F-18 looks like it would be fun with the .75 engine and retracts too.

My B-day is coming up and my wife told me to get an airplane for myself. Might have to get 2.

Thanks guys. If you know of any other kits, please let me know.
Juno owns the rights, and produces the old Direct Connection kits... so it is is the same F-20.

Vic caught one I forgot too ..... The Tsunami is an outstanding plane as well......... very smooth, can be quick

Definately retracts in either aircraft.

The Q-500 planse are guaranteed quick, and zero complexity..... fixed gear......... large speed envelope.... and you can build one in a couple of evenings.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Rcpilot

Well, bigger is better. Right?

Now I'm leaning towards the F-18 from JunoRc. I think it will fly okay with the TH .75. I'm going to order a pipe and header from Macs.

If anyone has built this plane--could you tell me about the retracts?

I want to know if the wheels have doors to keep the wing "clean" when the wheels are up.

Do the wheels tuck up nice, or are they going to be hanging out in the airstream?

Does this plane lend itself to mechanical retracts or pneumatic?

Any idea on final weight with retracts? I'm in Denver and I fly at darn near 6000' elevation. Weight doesn't hurt too bad when you're flying, but it sure makes a difference when you slow it down to land.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
bob27s

here is a link to a good F-18 project as an example

http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/LH-F18.html

Robart, Spring-air - or even the Cermark air gear.... but definately go with air. Just a whole lot easier to configure in this particular kit.

If you are flying high altitude, you might be a little marginal with the TH75 ---- but its not impossible. Its a fairly decent engine.

The F-18 I flew years ago was on a piped OS.61FSR.... flew nice... but close to sea level.

The plane will come in around 8 lbs. Not easy to shave off pounds, but a few things here and there to get a few ounces. Use good modeling judgement.

Gear doors.... possible, but will weight more. At 6,000 ASL , extra weight is not your friend. And it would only be for the "cool" factor anyway.... would not do a great deal to increase MPH.... lots of drag elsewhere on the plane such that doors will not really come into play.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

/RCpilet:

Sorry, bigger is not usually better even with a Jett 90 LX. The GP little tony etc & Alley Cat are larger planes, along with a number of similar. All are good sport flyers, and some may get to 120 (yonnnn) I have heard claimed. A decent 46 in any old Q-500 will give you more speed and still be a decent flyer. The only true bigtger is better is the Jett 60 LX, but she comes in the shape and size of a 40, just performs like a very hot 60.

I have had 5 DC tsunamie's in the past years, and there is another kit under the bench waiting its turn. The last one I club raced in our open class and was very competitive with a Irving 50, in the 130 range, no retracts. Outstanding wonderful flying little plane that looks good. The new one will have retracts and the engine made for it, Jett 60LX. Yes, I expect to beat the Q-500s with sport 46, and the rest of the hopped up stuff, assuming that I can still see well enough next year. Its the best all-around flyer that I hae ever had in my 50 some years in the hobby. Yep would also hover and torque roll. You just can not go wrong with this bird. ENJOY
Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am really liking my Matney Zoomer. If you like to build. Check out the thread. I am putting a Thunder tiger .46 in mine. http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html