Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Need advice for a OS.32SX & Macs Pipe

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Need advice for a OS.32SX & Macs Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 PM
rcuser002
Banned
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice for a OS.32SX & Macs Pipe

Now you got me thinkin' of lightening the load with a smaller Rx to save an ounce and HS225 servos (2 more ounces)

3 ounces saved and the extr*****?

NAAAAAAAAAAAH

Let's just see how she does at 3 pounds w/ the 9x6 first then I'll try the 8x8.

I'm still a little shy to try the 7x6APC prop on my Sig Wonder/15CVA combo which is a handful at 2.5 lbs.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

root, by all rights and with light enough gear, a .32 powered DD should come out weighing more like 2.5 pounds and launch practically vertical with a 8x8. 3 ozs is significant if you fly identical planes one right after the other, you can feel the difference in the sticks. Whether it is worth the extra money, that is debatable. Look at all the money that is spent in motor sports to shave a tenth of a second.

BTW, when Henry Nelson comes out this summer to fly some combat, I'll have to let him know that Glowplugboy says that castor "cokes the engines up" and to stop recommending it to his customers.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
glowplug50

I am sure Henry knows his stuff, I also know that some times its a matter of preference and old habits. I have owned several of "Henry's" engines and never run castor in any of them. Please tell him when you see him that despite his recomendations they all ran very well on synthetic fuels and that glowplug Boy says thanks for a great product. As for your snide comments, KMA. Of course this is said with a smile.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 PM
combatpigg

[quote]ORIGINAL: glowplug50

Not to be argumentitive but go to a pylon contest and see what kind of fuel is being run in the Nelsons or tthe Jetts. It won't be castor base fuel. Why coke up your engine when it is unneeded? This is an old argument and the older the modler the more the argument.

There must be nothing but old guys doing FAI?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM
glowplug50

I may be wrong about this as I am not invoved in FAI racing but it is a World wide event. The fuel they use is something like 20 percent castor and 80 percent methanol. It may be this way as Nitro is not available to all of the world. As far as their choice of oils who knows. Is it a traditon, a rule that was established years ago. I don't know. What FAI fuel has to do with this guys question I have no idea.
This argument has nothing to do with the question of the original post. You like castor, I ran it for years before changing to synthetics. That does not mean I am right or visa versa. As far as the "old" comment goes, thats based on fact nothing else. The older modlers grew up with castor as synthetic was not an option. Reluctance to change something that works just fine is a normal human trait. I did not make a post here to exercise my ego or drop names or for that matter, call names. I merley wanted to offer another opinion.
Good luck to you Combatpig.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem with synthetics is knowing wheather you have good synthetic oil or not. If it is not you have problems. Castor is just a measure of safety. Now all of the guys I flew combat with used synthetic exclusively in their N36 combat engines. As far as I know Henry recommended synthetic oil only for those engines. Specifically LB 625 was mentioned. Some fuels historically had poor oil, Morgan for example. The makers of Cool power and Omega. for this reason I have chosen not to use that stuff.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:54 AM
rcuser002
Banned

Friends,

I mixed an ounce of the Amsoil to a quart of Cool Power 15% and it turned out looking like it wasn't mixed after a descent 30 second shake and a 10 minute wait. Check out the attached jpeg.

So instead, I fired up the OS.32SX on the stand with the 9X6 APC and the Cool Power 20/20 Pro Pattern.

I got a a reading of 17,600 rpm with the header presently at 4.25 and the needle at 2 turns out with no hesitation in the transition from low to high end.

I'm reluctant to cut the pipe any more without some feedback from you guys.

If some of you have gotten 18k readings with a 8x8 APC then doesn't this sound about max for the 9x6?

root

ps I'm going to try some Cool Power 15% and some Klotz a friend has lying around and see the readings that gives.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21950.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	803126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71285.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	803127  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how that turns out. I am wanting to mix a little castor with the Cool Power 15% myself, but haven't been able to find a defenitive answer as to what works best.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM
combatpigg

To tune your exhaust, you use the intended prop and a tach. The absolute wrong way is to rely on input from the peanut gallery.
The "Kings" of the one flip starts are the guys who compete in AMA fast combat with their Nelson and Fox .36s. If you don't get up on the first flip, chances are better than 50-50 that you will lose the match. 90% of todays' matches begin on simultaneous starts. An engine that is all gunked up won't start on the first flip. Castor is used to a certain degree by all competitors that I've traded notes with, there is no definitive amount. I have flown AMA fast for over 20 years with 3 engines, maybe 6 P/L sets and bearing changes [total] over the course of thousands of practice and dozens of competition flights. If you use Sig degummed castor to supplement your X brand fuel, you might even find that the engine can tolerate a lean setting without transitioning into that runaway over heating condition. AFAIK, Amsoil and Castrol is for petrol type fuel. Synthetic oil, like Klotz is only mixable into glow fuel up to 45% nitro content, then it is time to break out the castor, anyway.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM
rcuser002
Banned

Combatpigg,

You say:

"Synthetic oil, like Klotz is only mixable into glow fuel up to 45% nitro content"

Do you mean it's used only with glow fuel that has 45% or that contains up to 45% (from 5% thru45%)

My LHS sells 1 ounce shots of castor / klotz mix for $3.50 an ounce.

That's probably worth a try to check it out.

root
Old 11-13-2007, 05:08 PM
combatpigg

Klotz can be used from 0% to 45% nitro, after that it tends to clump, it wont homogenize with higher nitro. $3.50 is a ripoff for an oz of lube, why not just order a quart of castor from Tower for $8? That is enough to treat 8 gallons of brand X fuel.
BTW, I competed 2 years ago with a well used OS .32 in the national championship C/L combat contest and it kept up pretty well against the Nelsons. It ran with a home made 11 mm venturi, homebrewed 45% nitro [klotz/castor blend], 7.75x6 props and delivered about 19-20,000 rpm all weekend. This same engine is going into a little RC Mustang that will be ready to roll pretty soon and it will be run just about the same way [except for a 8 pitch prop instead of 6].
Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM
vertical grimmace

One thing to remember also, In Control line you cannot shut off your engine if it is running lean. Although I have set my lean running plane down to keep from smoking my engine!
There is no excuse for running an RC engine lean to the point of damage. Just land and shut it off! Or throttle back! I think the major issue is pilots recognizing a lean condition.
This is why the "old Timers" swear by castor. It will save your engine that you cannot shut off in case of a lean run. If you get a lean run and smoke your engine in RC, then you need to get back to basics.
Glowplugboy is right about the fuel in the sense that the guys running Nelsons in racing are using a supplied fuel. This fuel is Powermaster around here. If you are worried about the oil and so much, just get some Powermaster and run it. No need to add oil to that fuel. With Cool power as I have said I would not run it.
I do not think you want to add Amsoil to glow. That is for gas engines. Klotz or Sig castor definately is acceptable.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
rcuser002
Banned

According to these answers, Amsoil can't mix with Cool Power or any glow fuel for that matter..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...tm.htm#6619217

root

Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
vertical grimmace

Looks like a good time to move away from cool power!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
rcuser002
Banned

So far, this is what I've gotten.

16,000 rpm out of the open-faced OS.32SX with the 9x6 APC and 15% Cool Power.

17,000 rpm out of the open-faced OS.32SX with the 8x8 APC and 15% Cool Power.

17,600 rpm from a 9x6 APC with the pipe on & the header at 4.25 inches and 20/20% Pro Pattern.

Next I'll try the 9x6 APC with my own CoolPower/Klotz 14/20 blend and note the difference in rpm's.

I'm expecting a drop in rpm's because of the drop in Nitro content but I'll compensate by continued tuning / cutting of the header in 1/8th to 1/4 slices.

The maiden flight is set for Friday.

root