Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Powdered my DD

Old 04-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Powdered my DD

All,
Having a nice day at the field flying my 1/3 Pitts and my Rossi45 powered DD.Flying the DD,split S straight down from approx 500 ft,locked straight and level 1-2 ft agl @ 150-170 mph(a guess),I get a little down glitch.It hit,skipped like a rock,hit again,cartwheeled for another 100 yards or so,then came to a stop.Total debris field 4-500 feet.The amazing part is,the structure is intact.Some sheeting gone,and some joints cracked,but it wouldn't take alot to make this fly again.Most of the debris was covering exploding,and pipe,fuel tank,battery etc.getting ejected.The worst part is,my friend was there with a video camera,and didn't get it on tape.By far my most spectacular crash ever.I know it was a glitch,not structural failure,because the servos,pushrods etc. are still attatched,not stripped,and work fine!!Luckily, I have another dust to drop this unscathed motor into,cause I just can't trust this other airframe after seeing it hit the ground that hard!! And so it goes!!
Erik
Old 04-08-2003, 07:11 PM
azuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdered my DD

xxxx
could have been an airpocket........ u never know ......... buy yeah the DD's are strong kits//////
Old 04-08-2003, 10:27 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Default Powdered my DD

azuz has a point. Flying that low at those speeds a fart could be enough to make it dip.

Think of it this way, you was going around 150-170 mph straight. Now if you nudge the stick down some your still going that fast but at the ground. Or a gust of wind.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Powdered my DD

This proves my point about the Dust being better than a one piece delta. it's rebuildable.
on calm days i CAN get my Dust to sit in ground effect about 3" off the deck at about the 150mph range. our field can suffer severe turbulence which makes it bounce nice, sounds bad too, had almost a sonic boom noise one day as it ripped through a rotor.
out of interest how have you done your aerial? in the loop or hanging out the rear? i just ask coz low down you need all the range you can get. ever had to have a buddy hold your plane up for a range check? low passes are the same thing
Old 04-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Erik R

Default Powdered my DD

Guys,
The antenna was in the loop.It was definitely interference,and not a gust.I was about 2 feet off the ground,not 2 inches.I've done this may times before.The radio is an old Futaba 7UAP,which has been reliable for many years,but might be getting a little tired.I'll have to check it out,because that's all I have to use in my other DD.
Erik
Old 04-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Cactus.

Default Powdered my DD

Loop aerial + 2' up + leadingedge/spars = possible glitch
Old 04-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Erik R

Default Powdered my DD

Philly,
You know I never thought of that!! I'm just reluctant to let the antenna flutter in the slipstream at 150+mph.How do you do it?
Erik
Old 04-09-2003, 01:00 PM
Cactus.

Default Powdered my DD

umm can't see it on my site pic, it comes out of the plane right at the bottom of a fin, poked through and run to the top, then though again and to the rear of the fin, then through again and left to hang. only reason it gos up the fin is to keep it away from the ground to 1. increase range, 2 stop it getting stepped on.
Never had a glitch.
On Magnums it comes right out of a tube at the rear of the plane and what ever hangs, hangs. they do 200mph.
That said, any glitch at 2' is terminal, ask my spitfire.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Erik R

Default Powdered my DD

Phil,
OK.Thanks!! I'll definitely try that!!
Erik