Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

We call Her "Slip-Stream"

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

We call Her "Slip-Stream"

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 AM
AIRFREAK-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: We call Her "Slip-Stream"

ORIGINAL: C_Roundy

ORIGINAL: Julian537

C. Roundy

why is it such a mystery about the difference between the OS VRDF and the Jett?
I thought this forum was all about sharing? Isn't that why you posted this thread, so you could share your great airplane with all of us?
OK Julian, I have more time to answer you properly now so here I go...
I mentioned in my earlier first response to you that Dub's metalurgy is flat out, the best. I will use "RMenke" as my personal opinion best example of a proponent for JETT users, the way he talks about his Jett .35 coming on stronger, and stronger across the years that he has owned it. Make no mistake about it, Ronald did'nt just fall off the turnip truck.

Bob27 is a PRICELESS resource to anyone who wants to learn two stroke breathing, regardless of whether they care about supporting American made products.

The O.S. VRDF .91 represents the absolute best of an old school MASS producer. I recently deduced that the VRDF is the only engine left in the O.S. lineup that still employs an actual CHROMIUM alloy liner plating (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Funny is'nt it, they talk about their "A.B.L." "Advanced Bi-metalic Liner" as being the superior plating system now, but when it comes to manufacturing an extreme high output engine the truth is that they rely on good old chromium alloy.
As opposed to greater Asia (China) continent where they are less concerned with polluting ground water tables with chrome proccess by-products than increasing their market share "RIGHT NOW", thats how you gain leverage in an open market, and thats what the chinese do. They are not dumb.

Now back to my favorite, MR. Dub Jett and Jett Engineering Inc. I can promise you that his processes are 100 % containment because thats what it takes to do business HOMEBREW.
If you step up to the plate and buy a Jett, you are are buying into something very special.

I personally have bought and owned about 15 or 20 Jett engines depending on the way you count; And maybe 15 or 20 more for CUSTOMERS directly, I count myself EXTREMELY lucky to be included in the very small set of Dub's authorized dealers (I seem to remember that Dub admitted to me a couple of years ago that one by one, he let almost all his "dealers" go because it became an inescapedly lost cause) The truth is that when I hand a Jett to someone I prefer to own and run it first, that is how I usually make SURE that Dub's interests are represented to the best of my ability.

Of all those engines that I've owned and run, and with all the cumulative experience of running these piped dragons have taught me, I will NOT abandon the JETT 90, what I WILL do is invite discussion of the differences between, say for instance the Henry Nelson / BVM .96 and my BELOVED JETT 90. That will depend on whether or not somebody steps up to the plate and talks about their experiences with that world class engine (with or without burning a hole clean throught the piston)

Oh, by the way, I turn a 9 by 12 NARROW Chord carbon prop at 19200 rpm running well and truly rich.

Our first video that I have had posted to this forum , was a (and I kid you not) was a perfect break in run setting (disgusstingly rich) on a wide bladed 9.5 x 9.5...
Hey Chuck, don't forget about K&B's ! There is still a few nut case's like me that still try to get those things to run ,and sometimes they run real good. Regards, Scott.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Ivo60

wow! C Roundy that thing s so cooooool... unfortunately it lets me know where I stand in the grand scheme of things. man, I am a new modeler... and I guess I use the term loosely. I could never even hope to be that good! but thanks for sharing. green with envy, IVO
Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Good to hear Thanks.....
Good to know, because a pair of 6 ounce slims was about the only way I could think of to get enough fuel into my Whip. I was thinking either about pairing Jett tanks on it, or an IV bag, but lo and behold someone has conviently just tested out the twin tanks [8D].

MJD
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

A number of twin bubble-jett tank setups have worked well. Its a nice trick when space is limited.

Last one I heard of - someone took a pair of 6oz slim tanks and built them into the LE of a profile/3d sorta plane. Seemed to work ok.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 AM
C_Roundy

Scott, you (and Ron) really represent the goal driven attitude that I respect highest;
GETTING THE MOST RPM POSSIBLE OUT OF EACH INNOCENT LUMP OF METAL THAT COMES THROUGH YOUR HANDS!....... Are you making any progress towards getting the K&B MONSTER setup to hold together? I went out with the SlipStream last month and experienced all the same heat/vibration failures that I had before. But in New and fascinating ways. The engine was leaned very carefully on the ground to a VERY VERY GOOD mixture, cooled and refueled/restarted/launched. But with these closely calibrated settings I still shattered the new header to pipe weld in flight (in spite of the new titanium slip-fit expansion mount at the rear)[:-] You were actually getting some flights on your 'Dust project before I started butting into these problems myself.
SOO, other than the boat guys old school solutions that can't work for us, and other than pictures inside the German F3S Comp. guys ships which are'nt setup for sustained running like we both are going to achieve when we finally solve it; Here is my current thought....resonance is everything. The source of all our problems, and therefore must be the solution. My engine is under-timed right now and is holding the airplane back any way at the speeds that my flight profile takes the airplane up to immediately and then holds (until the system shatters). EXTRAPOLATE......... I Am going to think/meditate long and hard before I hand the engine off to anybody; be it Ron Y., or Dub J. But clearly to me it seems that if I just manage to keep the engine in PERFECT resonance during its extreme high output profile run, everything else mechanical will and must solve itself.
IF I hand the engine to Ron, I will stress the resonance thing....... If I hand the engine to Dub, I will also need to stress the resonance thing.....
If I hand the engine to Ron INSISTING on the resonance thing, Ron may well say "Nope let Dub Do it"[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I am heavily preoccpied with the warbird pylon projects right now as stress/money relief. (HEH, HEH,)
Best Holiday Wishes for you and yours, C.R.