Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sundowner 50 Arf

I am getting there. The new solid balsa stab is fastened, and the engine box has been reinforced with carbon, glass cloth and a triangle stock. I also fuel proofed the inside of the fuse. The little .60 should haul it nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om34627.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	1398407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ql35366.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	1398408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	If10864.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	1398409  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK i'm dyin to put this (56LX)into something, and i see a lot of talk here........how is the bird on landing...........need lotsa room?

Name:	Rp44845.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	1414867  
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Summerwind,

It can't be that bad. I can land a Q40 on our runway and it's about the same length as yours. Plus you guys don't really have any bushes or anything at the ends of the runway.

This plane has 572in/2 of wing area and weighs around 6 lbs with a 46 sized motor. That's about the same as the World Models Mustangs. There are a ton of those with oversized engines floating around and I never hear anyone complain about landing them.

Chris

BTW: I'll be at the T-34 race tomorrow. Stop by and say hello if you're there.
    Attebery Performance Engineering
    Retired pylon racer - Losi SCTE - Kyosho SC-R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Chris,
    you're right.
    i need to quit overthinking things and just do it.
    thx
    mike

BTW, the YS really sounds good with that header
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Glad you're enjoying it.

I'll have my YS 140 powered Mustang there to do a little testing during lunch. I might run some 45% through it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

Glad you're enjoying it.

I'll have my YS 140 powered Mustang there to do a little testing during lunch. I might run some 45% through it.
    you are here in Fresno?
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

I will be tomorrow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChrisAttebery

I will be tomorrow.
    oops.never mind, i just realized the T34 race is tomorrow........see you there

-mike
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey.I just bought a SD 50,and thinking of the EVO 60NX,or a SAITO 82.Stuck on which one.I pretty much gonna keep it stock set-up ,(using the factory mount and exhust positions) Didnt want to go as far as to cut into the fuse for a performance exhust.I dont HAVE to...Right??? I know I dont with the Saito...which is why im leaning towards it...hoping it will have enough speed....not lookin to go crazy fast.The 60NX would most likely by quicker...or not? THX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AngLeo

Hey.I just bought a SD 50,and thinking of the EVO 60NX,or a SAITO 82.Stuck on which one.I pretty much gonna keep it stock set-up ,(using the factory mount and exhust positions) Didnt want to go as far as to cut into the fuse for a performance exhust.I dont HAVE to...Right??? I know I dont with the Saito...which is why im leaning towards it...hoping it will have enough speed....not lookin to go crazy fast.The 60NX would most likely by quicker...or not?** THX

The .60NX will be much faster than the .82.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went with the 60nx.I beleived it would be faster/funner also.Its really a nice well built ARF.No problems here.Everthing lined up fairly well,the engine/cowl fits like a glove and man this cowl is cool.The tail section and and tailwheel are a little on the cheap side for a $200 ARF,so installed a sulivan tailwheel assembly,and will put carbon rod struts for the tail....fin to stab ....for extra stiffness.Other than that its going rather quickly...there not alot of fuss.Im readdy to install the electrics and controls.Maybe breakin tommorrow....ways to rainy/windy to maiden....maybe during the week.CANTWAIT!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AngLeo,

good call on the diagonal supports on the stab/rudder.......it's amazing that there haven't been any issues thus far as the stabs are soft. one only has to experience a fluttered stab once to know how quickly a soft stab can obliterate. i stripped the covering from mine and inlayed .125" CF tubing in the LE and gave it a more acceptable shape, and tapered the elevators. figured i would pick up a gram or two but actually cut a couple grams much stiffer now.
    i certainly have to agree with you on the quality of Hangar9.......best ARF i've had yet and the Ultracote finish is a big hit with me. unlike another ARF maker, i could actually count the wrinkles (if you could call them that) on 1 hand.
    if this is Hangar9's representation of how they build and finish their ARF's, i'll be a Hangar9 fan from here on out.

hope your maiden goes great and be sure to post the results............should be a fun fast flyer with the EVO up front......you made the right choice.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Summerwind. Its about done now and there was only little issues.The tank is a little odd....being the hole in the firewall is to high or the tank neck to low...it would be better offset towards the top.Reason being is the canopy hits it.I had to trial and error it a few times to get it just right,and not get bubbles from being to tight.But got it right....I ran the NX and shes a solid runner,fuel efficent too..I put the batt. under the tank to allow the weight of the rear struts,and keep within the recomended CG without added weights.So far so good,shes slightly nose heavy and I havent installed the stab. struts....I here ya one the dressing up the tail sec.......its a little plain for such a busy frt. end,gonna add some stripes there or something....Will post maiden results this week...Tues looks good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree on the tail surfaces being a little on the flimsy side for me, so I sourced some some very hard Balsa sheet and made all new surfaces for mine with a leading edge and capped the end of the stab to help stiffen it more yet. The stab is 3-4 times as stiff as the stock one now with very little weight gain over the stock tail. I just finished the exhaust outlet too, since I did not like the looks of the muffler sticking out the side of the fuse like the other Jett muffler installs are! Now i can just finish the tank and throttle servo install and button the plane up.

Name:	Mj24480.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	1432484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56131.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	1432485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch97625.jpg 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	1432486   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay75527.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1432487  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: larscato

does anyone know if the mounting dimensions on the Evolution 52 are the same as the Evo 61 engine?
    No larscato there diff.But the 60nx is the same as the 52...the 61 has a bigger case....I have both

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well,got it all done.Shes a sweet craft.Unable to maiden...NY has had a week of unsettled/windy cond.....no end in sight.But all is ready and with the vert. supports ,the tail is like a rock...no flex anywhere,and with the pack under the tank,no added weight,comes in a slight tad nose heavy...empty tank.Great place to start...now just need a nice day...here are some pics...have the time now.

Name:	Li21256.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1432724   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91695.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	1432725  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Went with the standard exhust set-up for now,if needed in the future,ill add a jett set-up and change the cowl...but I like the way it is...nice plane...headturner for sure...great addition to the fleet!

Name:	Db86102.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1432726  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That looks very cool!
    Also, the gentleman that did the airfoiled tail...sounds like a good idea, I wonder how much it improves the drag coef?

Its been a while...and have a few flights on my downer...but I need to ask again if someone is out there...has anyone brought this puppy up to 170 mph yet? I just want to check before I possibly add the 16 pitch prop, tuned pipe and a few other mods. Thanks!

Is there a carbon wing tube available for this bird yet?

At 140 mph...everything is fine...but I only turn at 100 or less. Even at 100 the turns are slight and you can see the wings bow at the tips a bit.

The firewall has the West system structural fillet for added strength.
    Best regards, Todd Syssa
    Syssa Aircraft Performance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I read about all the mods to the Sundowner - I wonder if it is all necessary. I built mine as it came - no mods - and it works just fine. With the Jett .56 I have brought it out of a split S - from way up - wide open with no problems - wicked snaps at full speed - no flutter or anything else.
    Maybe I am just lucky!! [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Earl,
    not lucky, just smart enough to not make this a project of labor.
    i believe the Sundowner is pretty much overbuilt. even Dub Jett said he built his "as is", and i trust him to do the same. the only beef i had with mine was that the leading edge of the stab was very soft. took about and hour or 2 to recess a piece of 1/8" CF tube into the leading edge, and airfoil the LE and elevator, recover and it now feels much stronger.
    i also lost a few grams in the process. in my past ARF plane experience i have had a stab flutter to pieces and it was stiffer than the one that came with my Downer.
    so this is why some of us have that "what if" reaction to things that flex beyond what we trust.

i did not do diagonals though as the rudder is plenty stiff, and the stab is certainly stiff enough now. i am also going to delete the 26 dollar pilot

BTW, have you seen this video where the nose came off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqF1A...layer_embedded
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea....for me better safe than sorry....I have a PULSE 125 that had stab issues and it cost me 2 planes....horizon replaced one of them,the other I ate.Flutter blew apart the stab on the firsts and after getting it replaced,pinned and sealthe hinges,It fluttered again and broke the control wire! they both where completly destroyed.So learned and stiffened the tail,added dual servos for the elevator and it the best flying plane I have...even with the added weight.A little extra weight,work and stiffness will not hurt nothing.....not enough will hurt ALOT!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

That looks very cool!
    Also, the gentleman that did the airfoiled tail...sounds like a good idea, I wonder how much it improves the drag coef?

Its been a while...and have a few flights on my downer...but I need to ask again if someone is out there...has anyone brought this puppy up to 170 mph yet? I just want to check before I possibly add the 16 pitch prop, tuned pipe and a few other mods. Thanks!

Is there a carbon wing tube available for this bird yet?

At 140 mph...everything is fine...but I only turn at 100 or less. Even at 100 the turns are slight and you can see the wings bow at the tips a bit.

The firewall has the West system structural fillet for added strength.

I am still lighter than a stock one with the 3/4" Carbon Wing tube from TBM, different wheels, and different axles.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Earl,
    not lucky, just smart enough to not make this a project of labor.
    i believe the Sundowner is pretty much overbuilt. even Dub Jett said he built his ''as is'', and i trust him to do the same. the only beef i had with mine was that the leading edge of the stab was very soft. took about and hour or 2 to recess a piece of 1/8'' CF tube into the leading edge, and airfoil the LE and elevator, recover and it now feels much stronger.
    i also lost a few grams in the process. in my past ARF plane experience i have had a stab flutter to pieces and it was stiffer than the one that came with my Downer.
    so this is why some of us have that ''what if'' reaction to things that flex beyond what we trust.

i did not do diagonals though as the rudder is plenty stiff, and the stab is certainly stiff enough now. i am also going to delete the 26 dollar pilot

BTW, have you seen this video where the nose came off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqF1A...layer_embedded

Dubb also made the comment that the firewall is not strong enough without reinforcement. I do alot of what I do because I can. I like to imrove things, and the wood used for the tail in mine was not strong enough for me. I took out about 6 oz's of weight, so my mods are not hurting anything. The wing tube alone weigh's 1.4 oz compared to 3.6 oz for the stock .060 Wall Aluminum tube. The different tires and axles nocked another 2-1/2 oz of the plane.
    I build my planes to be around alot alonger than the average ARF assembler, and look good doing it. Just hanging the pipe out the switch slot looked hooky to me, so I also improved the looks of that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i must have gotten a wing tube (from the same place) that was made from a different batch, although it's the same spec as yours, because mine weighs more than an ounce.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

TSYSSA: What motor/prop are you using to get 140+ mph? My Jett .56 is less.
    Thanks Bob

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast