Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sundowner 50 Arf

ORIGINAL: BIGBADBOB65

TSYSSA: What motor/prop are you using to get 140+ mph? My Jett .56 is less.
    Thanks Bob

He uses a 30CC gas engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

i must have gotten a wing tube (from the same place) that was made from a different batch, although it's the same spec as yours, because mine weighs more than an ounce.

So was I was a little off, trying to remember the weight from memory. It is a huge difference though of over 2 ounces though. The axles that I machined for it and Foam tires from another left over Arf contribute to a Huge weight breakcombined with the Carbon Wing tube. I also have aluminum wheel collars on the plane, since every little bit helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xu62371.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	1433009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pl32609.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	1433010  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Iflyglow

i must have gotten a wing tube (from the same place) that was made from a different batch, although it's the same spec as yours, because mine weighs more than an ounce.

So was I was a little off, trying to remember the weight from memory. It is a huge difference though of over 2 ounces though. The axles that I machined for it and Foam tires from another left over Arf contribute to a Huge weight breakcombined with the Carbon Wing tube. I also have aluminum wheel collars on the plane, since every little bit helps.
    haha....i really didn't care, just thought maybe you drilled some holes in the CF wing rod too in order to save even more weight
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

14x14...but going to a 14x16 soon (custom mod prop) with the SAP-180HP (30cc) gas engine as you can tell the engine is not getting loaded enough because when your straight and level flying at 100 and you punch it..it goes right up to top speed and stays there.

I really wish I could buy a 14x18.,,,any idea where to get one?
    I'll have to put the tuned pipe to get it over 170 mph. Right now its just got a stock pitts muffler on it.
    Also, I really want a carbon fiber wingtube...the aluminum one is an anchor...where do you get it?
    Best regards, Todd Syssa
    Syssa Aircraft Performance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So was I was a little off, trying to remember the weight from memory. It is a huge difference though of over 2 ounces. The axles that I machined for it and Foam tires from another left over Arf contribute to a Huge weight breakcombined with the Carbon Wing tube. I also have aluminum wheel collars on the plane, since every little bit helps.
    haha....i really didn't care, just thought maybe you drilled some holes in the CF wing rod too in order to save even more weight
    The correct terminology would be a CF Wing Tube.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am getting there. The new solid balsa stab is fastened, and the engine box has been reinforced with a couple CF strips, a little glass cloth, and a little Balsa. I also fuel proofed the inside of the fuse. The little .60 should haul it nice.

Delete please:

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took some time yesterday and got a few more flights on the SD. What a sweet plane.
    I flew some of the old .60 pattern maneuvers, and it nails them - pilot could use a little practice.
    Reverse cuban 8s, split S, 3 rolls, loops, etc. all at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
    I had to make some full out runs too!! [8D]
    Landed on the last flight - draggin it in at a couple clicks off idle - taxied up to my feet.
    At the bench I took the plug out and the wire was virtually gone - a little lean.
    I can't say enough good about the Jett .56 - the thing has never died on me.

I did check the stiffness of the horizontal, and mine is pretty stiff. Lucky enough to get some good wood - I guess.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

any pics of this 30cc in the nose of a .46 size plane?
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey how about us guys with the Jett 56 powered SD's meet up with the EVO 60 guys and let's race?

any takers?
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This link should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGdPKIiKmuU
    Fast forward to 8:50 to see a somewhat fast pass.
    Best regards, Todd Syssa
    Syssa Aircraft Performance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey how about us guys with the Jett 56 powered SD's meet up with the EVO 60 guys and let's race?

any takers?
    Now that is interesting. If possible, count me in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah i'll bet "Iflyforfood"...will chicken out
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bring it to WI and its on. Make a trip to Air Airventure 2010 "EAA Convention", and bring your plane's, and I will supply the 800' landing strip with no noise restrictions or obstacles. Am I supposed to buy the Beer since I have money left over?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

haha.....Beer good.

got an ALW yet?

mine came in at 2,645 grams, or 5.84lbs. which i'm real happy about.
    you'll probably be lighter with all the do-dads you did, but to be under 6lbs should make this a sweet flyer.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

haha.....Beer good.

got an ALW yet?

mine came in at 2,645 grams, or 5.84lbs. which i'm real happy about.
    you'll probably be lighter with all the do-dads you did, but to be under 6lbs should make this a sweet flyer.

I am @ 6 lb's even, and currently locating the receivers (Jr 6200 w/remote). I hope to run the engine some more in the plane on sunday weather permitting. It's still crappy and cold and windy here in WI.[] We just recieved snow a week ago again. We are now in the thunderstorm Tornado month.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

man that sucks.............i know bad you wanna see that EVO run too
    hope it gets better soon.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I along with a couple other guys in the club want to see it go too. There is another Sundowner 50 with the same combo in the club, but He is really slow working on it. I was hoping to have someone to race against, but I don't think He's ever going to get it finished for this summer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

only thing left to do is to cut the opening in the bottom of the fuse.

using smaller and lighter digitals in the wing, and the throttle saved weight. also using a dual battery system, batteries are under servos.
    12oz BJ tank

Name:	Yv66226.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	536.4 KB 
ID:	1436434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86876.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	1436435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xd80979.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	524.8 KB 
ID:	1436436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd87866.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	1436437  
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good News! I ran out to the field today, and put three flights in. The combo performed awesome. The performance is spectacular with vertical that is out of this world. The second flight was a dead stick, as it hickuped and I quickly throttled back, but the tank was empty! The 11 oz tank does not last very long and goes by very quickly when you are having fun. The landing was uneventfull thanks to are huge field.
    The exhaust exiting the Bottom also funtioned better than I thought it would since there was "NO OIL on the stab at all and I don't have to worry about fuel running back in the fuse if I overfill the tank. The takeoff's are very easy with just a little rudder, and the landing's are uneventfull. It does come in hot, but no different than my other two race style planes, but looses lift faster than the Shoestring and Midget Mustang which will float forever. I never did try any stall tests because I was to busy buring holes in the sky. I set it up with the recommended throws, and ballanced it right at the 2-1/2 inches like the manual calls for. My all up weight is 6lb 1 OZ since I added an ounce to the engine mount to finalize the ballance point. I plan on programming a little more aileron in it, but other than that, not touching anything else. Loops and split S's as large as you want to make them. I did leave the side hole open, and am trying to figure out how to finish it off as a cooling vent. The whistle it makes in the air is awesome. I have two little Cheater holes for Cooling on the Bottom of the Cowl, and the Slits. I had no problems with overheating at all. The slits really help as I have also done that to my Midget Mustang and Shoestring.

5/16/2010 Put another five flights on it today. This combo really hauls the mail. Take off to totally unlimited vertical.

Name:	Da83572.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	1436782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48487.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	1436783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz69234.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	1436784  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally...a good flyin day,and was able to run a few tanks thru my new Sundowner.What a great flyin plane!Needed one click of up and it was strait and flew very,very smooth.In fact almost to smooth,the low rate suggestions in the book for the elev. is too low,I had to add nearly full up on turns,to keep it up at med speed.I flicked it to high rate and all was better.It flew like a dream...smooooooth as can be, just a click or two up on the thottle @ landing and she comes right in...a little hot,but not bad at all.Im very happy with the performance of it and even at a rich setting....its a rocket,hittin 75-80 easily,and keeped its gentle flight almost the same.I love this plane! Its a great addition and will keep for years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

using smaller and lighter digitals in the wing, and the throttle saved weight. also using a dual battery system, batteries are under servos.
    12oz BJ tank
    Its coming together nicely
    Bob Brassell
    Jett Engineering - Engine Mfg Support Forum Host
    rjbrassell@gmail.com or bob27s@hotmail.com
    RB-78

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

12oz BJ tank

I only have one battery with 20 ga Silicone insulated wire. I fabricated a harness that uses MINI Deans plugs similar to the picture of a large scale unit meant for large planes but on a smaller scale for a simple positive electrical circut. I am not that trusting of switchs and vibration.

Name:	Ca82755.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	1439407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ol31437.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	1439408  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that's a nice setup. but i'll take a redundancy setup anyday over using just 1 battery pack.
    you still fly with the possibility of losing power from a single pack.
    chances of losing a battery on 1 switch and a switch going bad on the other pack are astronomical........thus, (and it's not mandatory) you still fly with the chance of losing a high speed model in the air thus creating a missle.

oh wait, you are only turning around 15K......my bird is powered by an 18,600rpm screamer...........much more dangerous.
    AMA 70865
    Team Satellite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just wish we lived closer so you could actually see first hand how the 10" prop is so much more effective vs the little 9" prop. You might have a little bit more Top end maybe with a 9-8, but it will take forever to get there, and never ever match the Climb Performance or Acceleration out of a corner that my set up spinning a 10-8 @ well over 15 thou will. It appears as if you are under rating the EVO and over rating the Jett with your numbers again, since Dubb's own RPM for the EVO with a 10-8 was 15,500. Every indication I have read places a Jett .56LX @ about 18,000 with a 10-6. Where are you finding the extra 600 rpm that other guys have not mentioned (The 9-8 turns 18,000, and the 10-6 turns a little over 17,000 from another member with a Jett .56).
    9" props remind me of the "Old Ducted Jett Days". Alot of noise with sluggish acceleration.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I enjoy all this bench racing. Sure wish I could travel to WI for the big race.
    Maybe you fellas should come to MT. There is some beautiful scenery here, and no noise restrictions at our field either.
    My Jett LX will turn a 10-6 APC around 17500 (now that it is broke in) at 3900 ft altitude.
    I have tried a number of props in the 9 - 8.75 - 10 range, and the 10-6 is the best of the bunch.
    I am going to try a 10-7 just to see, but the weather needs to dry up a little. Lots of rain in this country this spring.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast