Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

GRRT acting crazy today

Old 04-07-2003, 04:38 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GRRT acting crazy today

Well I took my Dust out to field today for some flying. I haven't really flown my Dust in a while but decided it was time to do some hauling in air.

I got to field and found I was only one to show up. It was windy here today in Ga but when your addicted to flying wind is no factor. I cranked my Dust up and launched and was up again doing some high speed runs. It has been a while since I flown this thing but it all cam back to me.

My first flight I was making low passes and found that my engine slowly started to run slower. I would make a few passes and then noticed that the engine would then run under the pipe and fly like a regular plane. It was running way to rich and right before it ran out of fuel it would get up on pipe and rip out of the sky for a few seconds then die.

Once on ground I found that my needle valve had completely come out and caused it to run rich. I re-tightened the needle back and got it back in air. Once in air it was hauling then again started to slow down and then it died. I found that me glow plug had backed out and caused it to die. Very odd cause i never had this happen before. I pulled the plug out and it was gone. No element was left in it but a tiny strand.

I replaced with a new plug and fired up again. I made a couple of passes and found me loosing speed again aft about a minute or so. Right after launch it ran like it was supposed to and was tearing up the sky. Then after a min or so it started to run slow again. It was my dang needle valve backing out again.

Now I have fixed my problem with my needle valve and got it straight. So going to have to wait for next weekend to try again.

One thing though is I still feel like i need more speed. I am not sure if this is case with you other guys but to me it seems like it flies like a regular plane and in slow motion (maybe a little exaggerated but). The other guys at the field swear it is hauling ace and is fast as all get out. I guess flying it and watching it fly is 2 different things. Guess I need to let someone else fly my Dust so I can get an idea on how it looks from spectators point of view.

Then again I still want more speed until it scares me.....lol

Curious to other speed fliers...... is it different flying than it is to watching it go fast? or is it just me?
Old 04-07-2003, 08:01 AM
tkigar
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It sounds to me like your GRRT is cursed......it needs to go to a new home where the bad spirits can be released from within......Let me know the day you can ship it to me and I will have a special room with dark windows for the healing process.It might take .....well.......at least 3 or 4 gallons and a month or so to get all the bad spirits out of it, so you might want to look into getting yourself another engine in the mean time. Thanks Tim
Old 04-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

slip some sillicon over the needle and it'll hold in place.
My PSQ MVVS 40 is doing the same thing in my dust, on the ground it runs perfect, i launched and right away it ran like a dog, came offthe pipe, ran slow, but was ok during a dive, after a couple of mins it stayed on the pipe after the dive and then ran fine the rest of the flight. the other thing is does is run fine at the start, but a min or so in i'll go lean.. it MUST be something to do with the amount of fuel in the tank, excess pressure from the pipe?? i have no idea. might just not fill it as much
Old 04-07-2003, 10:34 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I got to looking at my engine today and found that my pressure fitting on pipe was loose. The threads are stripped out and it barley has enough thread to keep it from falling out.

I should be okay once I get that pressure tap back sealed again. That would explain the erratic behavior during flight. Also need to fix that needle valve to keep from running rich after a few mins.

As for my fuel tank it is sealed and has all connections still on. I haven't had any problems with it since.

I figured it was something stupid keeping the engine from running right. Now I should be able to get up on pipe easily and have it unload in air once again. Kinda takes fun out of it when it wont unload nor stay on pipe.