Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Ripmax Alienator What do you all think?

Old 04-09-2003, 11:21 PM
Dream_Flyer
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ripmax Alienator What do you all think?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LC1098&P=1

I was looking at one of these for something quick to get into the air for our clubs Pop Gun . Has anyone seen one ?
Old 04-10-2003, 07:33 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i've seen the electric version fly, all the press says its very smooth and very forgiving. great fun plane to have handy.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:55 PM
cabanestrut2002

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have flown both the electric version and the ic version and they are both great, slow, stable and forgiving.not to much in the way of aerobatics though.
they are not fast and i dont think they would withstand a big engine and steep dives if thats what you are thinking.
i built one for a friend in the club(electric) and it was done in about 3 days of work(could be less if you were in a hurry).
nice model
Old 04-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Dream_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hmmmmmmm

Well I am going to throw a Nelson .25 in it? Could I stiffen the wings a bit and it would be okay?

Oh by the way they are on sale at Tower for $29.95
Old 04-11-2003, 03:02 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks good to me.

I have a Cox Conquest .15 just laying around. Seems about right....

How can you beat the price?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:55 AM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cox 15

You lookin to sell the Cox 15?? That might pull that Ailenator a round quite sharply!!

Bob
Old 04-12-2003, 04:19 AM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope, don't think I would sell the cox.

This one has less than 10 flights on it, and is practically brand new and runs great.

I sold a 2nd one, but not this one.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
RCAdd1ct

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put a TT GP.42 on one and added LG. Great flying plane!

It was stable at low speeds and tracked great on high speed passes.

Throws were on the low side. I dumb thumbed it in. Working on a new one adding stuff that I learned from the first.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Dream_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default WOW a GP .42 dang

Well Now I feel a bit better . I think I will put a Nelson .25 with bearings in mine and bring the spars out to the tips and make them out of hard wood instead of balsa. If this is needed? And how did it balance if I can ask.

Thank you so much for the replies
Old 04-23-2003, 10:42 PM
RCAdd1ct

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had to make a hatch for the 5 cell 1100 pack by the elevator.

It still was a little nose heavy. About 1/2" worth.

I covered mine with econocote. Other than moving the battery, adding the LG and adding a second firewall (since the engine mount bolts interfered with the stock firewall) the plane was stock.

On my second one I am running full strip ailerons out of balsa and adding a balsa strip to the TE of the wing so I can run CA hinges.

I am also going to try some iron on CF veil to strengthen the wings up before I cover it. The first on didn't really need it but since I have it I will use it.

Other than people being scared of a .42 on a foam plane everyone loved the way it flew. In the end the plane was great. It was the fool behind the sticks that was the problem (I got disoriented with the planes weird profile as the sun was setting and failed to pull out of a loop).

Second one is almost done. It will be ready for this weekend.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:02 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I flew one last weekend with a .28 on it, flew great!! Handles nice and looks cool in the air!
Old 04-24-2003, 09:48 AM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this month in RC Model World they had a review with a MDS 18, very good review and they say ADD A RUDDER! for extra fun, flat spins and such
Old 04-27-2003, 09:32 PM
SAPropbuster
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCAdd1ct...............
SO, tell us all......how did your new Alienator fly??
Adding full span ailerons sounds like a good idea, the extra spar would help with the .42!
Where did you lay the CF? On the wings?? Bottom & Top???
How did you mount LG?
You say you covered it? What with?

Might want to remind anyone in and around San Antonio, Texas, that the San Antonio Prop Busters is having PopGun 2003... Any .25 ~ 2 stroke, .30 ~ 4 stroke or equal electric (or smaller) are welcome to come fly...Check out the event calendar here, on the AMA website or the D-8 website... Lots of cool prizes, good food and fun!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:30 AM
RCAdd1ct

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It flew about like my first one....Great.

It takes a while to get accustomed to the odd shape in the sky.

It is black on the bottom and yellow on top. The center and verticals are black on top for contrast. The LE and wing tip bottom are fluorescent orange. It is covered in econocote. Not sure what the fluorescent is. It looks like I couldn't get it hot enough. If I used a hotter iron it might stick better but it might melt the foam. The yellow and black econocote stick at low temp without any issues.

You don't need an extra spar. I capped the TE with triangle stock and added CF tape to the top and bottom of the wing. The plane is very light but very solid. I used pro-bond for all major construction points and it is holding up well.

I added more aileron and rudder. I should have added more elevator, too. I don't have enough elevator to get it to flat spin.

I mounted the LG under the canards. It is about 1.5" in front of CG. There is a lite ply frame that glues to the foam body to connect the spar to the firewall. I added a heavy ply reinforcement on the floor and cut the foam out for the main gear. I then shaved the cut out piece the thickness of the LG and stuck in back on and covered the cut out. The econocote is holding the LG cut out piece on there. I used an old magic tail skid for the tail drag piece. I cut a 1/2" dowel down and epoxied the dowel and skid in. I used econocote to keep the skid from swiveling. Steerable tail gear would be a nice plus but I was trying to keep this one cheap so I could beat on it with very little out of pocket.

There is a 5 cell 1100 NiMh RX pack buried in the foam to get the CG right. It is still a little nose heavy.

Pull-pull rudder would be a nice addition, also.

Originally posted by SAPropbuster
RCAdd1ct...............
SO, tell us all......how did your new Alienator fly??
Adding full span ailerons sounds like a good idea, the extra spar would help with the .42!
Where did you lay the CF? On the wings?? Bottom & Top???
How did you mount LG?
You say you covered it? What with?

Might want to remind anyone in and around San Antonio, Texas, that the San Antonio Prop Busters is having PopGun 2003... Any .25 ~ 2 stroke, .30 ~ 4 stroke or equal electric (or smaller) are welcome to come fly...Check out the event calendar here, on the AMA website or the D-8 website... Lots of cool prizes, good food and fun!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:25 PM
gistwj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ripmax Alienator What do you all think?

A truly remarkable airplane especially is generously powered. When will someone like Tower make this generally available again. Afterith seeing how well mine performed with an OS 25FX I refitted mine with an OS FX32. The results are fantastic...very fast while retaining all its agility, unlimited vertical with an apparent speed (remember it is small) that I would call blinding. I don't think extra spar length is necessary but the spar ought to be strong and must be well glued because I have seen one that wasn't come unbolunded with unfortunate consequences. I use a carbon fiber reinforced spar and when I put my next one together I will use a carbon rod or tube. Full length ailerons are unnecessary as you can get blinding roll rates with the stock setup. Also I have done full power dives from "speck" heights with no hint of flutter or other vibration. During combat I also flew mine into a tree turning into three pieces but with a little probound it was in the air the next week. I think the OS 32 SX is the optimum engine for it although my fellow club mates who use 25s and 15s don't want to fly with me anymore because the alienator with a 32 for outstrips the other configurations. As far as rudders are concerned I con't install the rudder servo to save weight. A fellow club member replaced the tri-fin design with a single large coroplast (sp?) rudder. With an aft CG I personally am not capable of handling his modified alienator does incrdible slow speed aerobatics. especially a range of flat spins.