Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Lost my Whiplash on the first flight!(My fault)

Old 04-12-2003, 04:10 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lost my Whiplash on the first flight!(My fault)

My Jett Fire .50 powered Whiplash crashed on the first flight. It took off great. I was on high rates. Once it got going I dropped it to low rates. Made a few circuits at about 1/2-3/4 throttle. It did take big wide turns to turn this thing. Then on one turn it just drove right to the ground. The engine stuck in the ground ant the rest of the plane departed. What did I do wrong? I didn't go full speed. My shrike goes faster then I had my Whiplash going. Once it dove on me I couldn't get it to come out of it. High rates seemed too much and low rates did not seem enough. Oh well. Time to build a .40 size Shrike or a DD for the Jett Fire.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 04-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Lee Cox

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry to hear about the crash...
what was the travel on low rate (how many mm up and down?)

Would be good to know so others don't make the same mistake!!

Lee
Old 04-12-2003, 07:15 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had high rates at 1/2" and low rates at about 1/4". I was flying on high rates on the elevator and low rates on the ailerons when I crashed. I was probably doing about 70. I was going to land so I could adjust my rates. I was balanced at exactly 2.0" from the beginning of the battery compartment. If someone has one of the original Whiplashes still in the box, I might be interested.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 04-12-2003, 09:51 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would check your Rx if it survived & Tx as well Rx battery too. Any chance of outside radio interference? They just dont dive straight in. if you dont have enough they will sink a little in the turns. While i think your low rate elevator should be at least 5/16-3/8" you will find that delta wings need more elevator than aileron.

My Wlash has a Jett Fire .50
I just changed Robart horns from 1/2" to 3/4" since i have Dubro HD arms on JR DS-8417 servos. On the JR8103 tx Low rates were at 20%, now more like 35%
Old 04-12-2003, 11:25 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Oh No!

Man sorry to hear about your whiplash.

One thing though about the rates like Crazy4Flight mentioned is that Deltas seem to like higher rates.

I noticed on my DD the elevator rates was to touchy at first. But when it came time to turn, it made wide turns and it does loose a little attitude some. It is just a different type of flying plane. Especially on landings you will notice low rates act against you.

I now have my elevator set up for max throw but I am using some expo to smooth it out. The extra throws comes in handy when landings and getting that last bit of flare. Also in turns if it does dip there is plenty to be able to pull out if it dips.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:55 AM
UnitedFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default WHIPLASH NEW IN BOX

New Whiplash in box. $250 shipped. X Model

All hardware included. Horns, rods, tank etc....

Originally posted by ckoerner
I had high rates at 1/2" and low rates at about 1/4". I was flying on high rates on the elevator and low rates on the ailerons when I crashed. I was probably doing about 70. I was going to land so I could adjust my rates. I was balanced at exactly 2.0" from the beginning of the battery compartment. If someone has one of the original Whiplashes still in the box, I might be interested.
Thanks,
Craig