Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Finished First Speed Project

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Finished First Speed Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
KCJarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished First Speed Project

Hello y'all.

I just finished my first speed project. It is a global Tequila Sunrise. My uncle gave me an old O.S. S-30 last week and I cant have an engine without a home.

I've been in the hobby for many years now, but this is my first venture into speed. I have been an aerobatic guy for a while now, but my Extra doesn't cut if for a fast mover. Since my uncle gave me the engine I figured this was my best option for a move into speed. I thought about a shrike for the .30 but decided against it.

I have heard all the negatives about this plane, and I have made it as light as possible. I just finished it up tonight, and it is coming in at 2lbs 13oz. ready to fly. I have also set the CG at 1 3/4 in. instead of the 2 1/4 as stated in the plans after reading that the recomended CG is to far aft. I have also set my high rates at the recommended low rates and then dialed 60% of that for the lows.

I am currently swinging a 9x6 apc with this little motor and It measured 3lbs of static thrust today. That's a little over 1/1 thrust to weight. Is this a good starting point or should I go with a 10x4?

I know it's not the fastes guy on the block, but I needed something to keep up with the buddy's quicky 500. Will this do it???

Let me know what you all think and thank you for the reply's.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:56 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Finished First Speed Project

ORIGINAL: KCJarman

Is this a good starting point or should I go with a 10x4?

I know it's not the fastes guy on the block, but I needed something to keep up with the buddy's quicky 500. Will this do it???
No and NO.

9x6 8x7 would be where I'd start. 10x4 would have troble out running a heli.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
KCJarman

Well, thanks for that.

I feel like I just posted up in the wrong forum.... is this not even concidered a speed plane?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

It's on the low end of a speed plane, but anything that goes fast enough to make you a little nervous is a speed plane. Bigger planes are just easier to make go fast. Here lame is 100mph, good is 120, 140 is making people notice, 170 is kick ass, 200 is usally, but not always a lie!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 AM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

Makes my DC f-20 lame...LOL
It will be fun...not extremely fast but quick enough to get you hooked
Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice definition there Rich. Pretty accurate too.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

All are welcome in the forum here Lots to see, and lots to learn.

As for your aircraft project...

Don't over think the setup too much. Keep it simple

Static thrust means pretty much nothing to estimate prop-driven airplane performance, unless you are hovering or taking off. Knowing that the engine runs well with the prop is more important.

For the OS .30 just bolt on the 9x6 and stick with it. The plane will move pretty well.
What you get for speed.... well..... is what you get.

Whether it will keep up with your buddy's Q-500 ..... depends on his setup and how he flys.

The Tequila Sunrise was a handful of an airplane. Obviously folks have filled you in a bit. Keeping it light is important. I usually give any design its fair shake, and I had an opportunity to shake one of these some time back. I will tell you to keep your eyes open. DO NOT set the control throws for 3D sorta stuff. Smooth is the best approach. In fact, that 10x4 is not a bad idea (setting speed aside...).

btw... is that an old bushed OS .30 engine (1976 vintage?)

Bob
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM
KCJarman

ORIGINAL: bob27s

All are welcome in the forum here Lots to see, and lots to learn.

As for your aircraft project...

Don't over think the setup too much. Keep it simple

Static thrust means pretty much nothing to estimate prop-driven airplane performance, unless you are hovering or taking off. Knowing that the engine runs well with the prop is more important.

For the OS .30 just bolt on the 9x6 and stick with it. The plane will move pretty well.
What you get for speed.... well..... is what you get.

Whether it will keep up with your buddy's Q-500 ..... depends on his setup and how he flys.

The Tequila Sunrise was a handful of an airplane. Obviously folks have filled you in a bit. Keeping it light is important. I usually give any design its fair shake, and I had an opportunity to shake one of these some time back. I will tell you to keep your eyes open. DO NOT set the control throws for 3D sorta stuff. Smooth is the best approach. In fact, that 10x4 is not a bad idea (setting speed aside...).

btw... is that an old bushed OS .30 engine (1976 vintage?)

Bob

1976 Vintage is exactly right!!!!

I have mixed up some home brew with 23% Lubricant that is 60% SIG Castor / 20% Synthetic and 15% Nitro. It loves the stuff. Had it on the test stand several times before I finally decided to put it in a plane.

Thanks for the welcome guys!!!

So what should I expect from this little guy as far as speed is concerned? Will I even be in the LAME category??? LOL
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I would estimate speed at 90mph tops.

I had an ACE .15 sized Ultimate that did about the same speed with an OS .25FX.

Considering its smaller size, it will seem faster than that.

Sounds like a fun plane. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Your 9x6 APC is making 3 lbs. thrust, this tells me the engine is turning about 12500 rpm so the pitch speed is about 70 mph on the ground.
The Global Tequila Sunrise is not too bad in the drag department but it aint a quickie. With the engine unloading some and the plane's drag, I think you should see about 70mph if you keep the 9X6 on it. looks like a fun plane[8D]
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
KCJarman

Good to know guys. Your right, with this small airframe I will have to keep well ahead of it. This might be my gateway drug, so to speek!!!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

KC:

Fly and learn with that OS 30 for 2-3 months and get the gang usto it. Add one Jett 35 without telling anyone. Should force your bud to upgrade his Q-500 engine, may not help him either. Wonderfull little engine, honest. ENJOY
Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 PM
KCJarman

That's a great call.... I have no dought this is going to get me hooked fast..... as soon as we get a little more favorable weather, I'm heading out to the field for a maiden..... I can't wait.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what should I expect from this little guy as far as speed is concerned? Will I even be in the LAME category??? LOL
Long Ago at a flying field far far away...
I had and OS.30 on a Skat Cat and it was LAME!
Then I upgraded to a Thunder Tiger pro .25 the LAME was replaced with fun.
Next upgrad was an OX .46 FX, fun was replaced with exciting.
Final upgrade adding a uned pipe, exciting was replaced with yea baby itt rocks!!

Maybe I will get my Tequila down and finish it..It has a MVVS .28 & no radio.

For now fly it and have fun with it, The wide cowl and thick wing will limit your top speed.
The Tquila was never ment to be in in Q500 class.
Someday you may have a OS.32SX to fit in the cowl and the LAME will go away.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM
KCJarman

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Long Ago at a flying field far far away...
I had and OS.30 on a Skat Cat and it was LAME!
Then I upgraded to a Thunder Tiger pro .25 the LAME was replaced with fun.
Next upgrad was an OX .46 FX, fun was replaced with exciting.
Final upgrade adding a uned pipe, exciting was replaced with yea baby itt rocks!!

Maybe I will get my Tequila down and finish it..It has a MVVS .28 & no radio.

For now fly it and have fun with it, The wide cowl and thick wing will limit your top speed.
The Tquila was never ment to be in in Q500 class.
Someday you may have a OS.32SX to fit in the cowl and the LAME will go away.

I understand what your sayin....... I have been able to justify a new plane for a free motor to the wife, but it is always a little harder to justify a new plane AND and new motor, when it's winter... and the garage is FULL of planes and heli's.

Don't get me wrong.... she understands my passion for the hobby.... but, she is still the rational one in the relationship...

I'll have to slip in a new motor when the guys at the field are all used to my SLOW speed venture. Then I'll go all out. Jett 35 and a Diamond Dust.... LOL
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Crazy4Flight

Old 01-29-2008, 04:58 PM
KCJarman

Thought I would post up a picture of the little stinker....

Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
heliothiszea
My Feedback: (1)

I'll be interested in the flight report. I thought about getting one of these several years ago. Never did. Plane looks nice. Good luck - Seth
Old 01-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Crazy4Flight

KCJ,

now if you get the .40 size too....

then it two shots of Tequila!

I miss my 40 it had ST.51 and would Knife Edge Loop!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
KCJarman

We'll see how I feel after the first shot of Tequila...
Old 02-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Whatever you do, DO NOT do a search on here for "Tequila Sunrise" or "worst ARF ever". Go fly it first and tell us what you think.

Welcome to the speed arena! My Teq Sunrise was pretty fast with an OS-28F (many years ago) but the covering came off first flight- Did not crash but the way it flew combined with the construction caused me to DESTROY it immediately.

Your mileage may vary-

James

P.S. I have always thought it was a good looking airplane and decent design just built poorly and WAY heavy
Old 02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Listen to the man![X(]
He has gone faster then us all and has crashed everything at least 5 times![:@]
Trust me he know's!
SJ
Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM
KCJarman

I appreciate that guys... I should post up a few more pictures..... This thing is built very will. It has more plywood in it then my SIG Somethin extra.... also, they have changed the Tequila's covering from Chinacoat to oracoate and now to Monokote. As with all of my models I first went over the seams with a hot iron, then shrunk the wrinkles with my heat gun..... It is kinda hard to tell in the picture, but this covering job, although not the prettiest, is deffinately well done, tight and sealed properly.

Secondly, My finished Tequila is coming out at 2lbs 13oz. The total wing area is 2 sq. ft. that brings the wing loading in at 23oz. sq/ft. Although not what some would like, it is deffinately, not the highest wing loading I have flown and should be manageable on approach. In fact I usually land all my planks a little hot on approach as my club keeps the field grass kinda long.

Lastetly, I have read ALL the negative postes about the Tequila and still decieded to go with it. I have placed the 600mah battery beside the tank on the right hand side... this has ballanced the model latterally. I also used a micro servo for the throttle and a micro PCM reciever. All placed in custome suppports in the fuse, as far forward as possible. Next, I relocated the tail section servo's forward of the rear servo compartment to ballance the models CG to 2" aft of the leading edge without adding weight.

Any model this small MUST be ballanced as well laterally as it is on it's CG. With 2* right thrust and 2* down thrust there is no room for a poorly ballanced model here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I have a TON of building experieance..... and ARF's are a little new to me... I wanted something inexpensive and fast for a good finger work out... I just had to make a few changes to get the model exactly how I would have done it if I would have built it myself, and I can say that as it sits, it is as good as I could do. I have no doubt that this will be a great flying plane, I wouldn't even be surprised if it follows me to the field at every outing.....

I have had an issue getting my old OS idleing reliably with my home brew few and that has kept from maidening this little guy, but that issue has been resolved today. I lost the Fox idle bar plug and put in an A3. Problem solved. As long as the weather holds I may take my first shot of Tequila this next week.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM
KCJarman

Wow, that was a long post.... Sorry guys.... LOL