Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Meerkat outdoes itself.. 194mph!

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Old 01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Meerkat outdoes itself.. 194mph!

I have clipped regular APC props with sucess. Just mark how short you want it to be clipped, and use a razor saw to cut it of. Sand it smooth and round the corners then balance it and see how you like it.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,

Do I need to thin the edges back like they were before clipping or just clip, round and balance?

thanks

Z
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

You can just clip and balance. Looks odd, but works fine. If you want to clean them and make them look pretty you can do that also.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: daven

You can just clip and balance. Looks odd, but works fine. If you want to clean them and make them look pretty you can do that also.
I agree with dave.

Just cosmetic clean-up and balance. That is all I do.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Zman39

Thanks again, will order a few pylon props and hope to maintain or increase my current speed
Old 01-28-2008, 05:49 PM
remcl1
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Meerkay outdoes itself.. 194mph!

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

Did your camera man show up?

When I said I would video it, I did not understand the intentions. I thought it was just in good fun: just like this project.

I do not see the need in any verification. All the parties at the field that this really matters to are all in agreement. No need in throwing in any reason to change that.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: remcl1

When I said I would video it, I did not understand the intentions. I thought it was just in good fun: just like this project.

I do not see the need in any verification. All the parties at the field that this really matters to are all in agreement. No need in throwing in any reason to change that.
WOW, [X(] I thought I was doing you guys a favor by confirming your speed with a Doppler check. This is the first complaint I got for offering to help. It sounds like you guys have no intentions of confirming your claim plus you are not going to allow anyone else to.
[X(]

FYI remcl1 - Zman39 started a thread about 5 weeks ago called "speed recording" and GPS was discussed by people that have tested them. Certain criteria must be meet by the equipment and the flight pattern or GPS is notorious for high readings. Readings may be iffy even under good conditions. If that is good enough for you the so be it.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
remcl1
My Feedback: (3)

WOW, [X(] I thought I was doing you guys a favor by confirming your speed with a Doppler check. This is the first complaint I got for offering to help. It sounds like you guys have no intentions of confirming your claim plus you are not going to allow anyone else to.
[X(]

FYI remcl1 - Zman39 started a thread about 5 weeks ago called "speed recording" and GPS was discussed by people that have tested them. Certain criteria must be meet by the equipment and the flight pattern or GPS is notorious for high readings. Readings may be iffy even under good conditions. If that is good enough for you the so be it.

Complaint??? All I am saying is no thanks don't see the need. If z and the rest want any further verification then they can let me know. As of right now you are the only one asking.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that what Mike is offering is of value. Besides speed from multiple passes, he can also provide the engine RPM which is useful. As I understand the GPS system, it is providing peak ground speed, which is highly influenced by any winds aloft or diving. I suspect that while the Meerkat is extremely fast, it has not reached 194 mph. A flight where the airplane is throttled back while going downwind, and throttled up while going up wind only right after a flight as the 194 was registered would provide a pretty good average.

Regardless of the absolute speed, what has been demonstated is that a clever simple design that costs very little to build can provide remarkable performance.

Kudos to Zman!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 AM
daven

Nice post Highplains, I agree completely.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:37 AM
Zman39

As Daven and Bob have already mentioned in this thread, this isnt some unbelievable accomplishment. they both have mentioned that with a little balsa, foam, building and power of course , these speeds can be reached. High Plains, a big thanks for the kudos, much appreciated. If you knew how much care was taken in absolute level flight, no dives, nothing then maybe the GPS would more believable to you. GPS is actually extremely accurate when used properly.

Once again, I will be more than happy to have the plane video done once I fly with remcl1 again.

Thanks again felllows for all the tips.

Z
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 AM
HaveBlue

Hey Z and remcl1..well done with some modest equipment when it comes to the speed game

I'm really sorry you took Mikes request with a touch of predejuice(please do not misunderstand this term ,it's not mean't in offense) to varify your GPS reading . The deal is, this is the speed forum where you get a variety of claims, and to the dedicated speed nuts here, an offer to varify a high speed pass like 194 MPH.. is a handy tool especially with the rpm range although a good ear can tell near enough...not to mention a sort of unoffical ranking as a tribute to your pursuit of having one of the fastest prop jobs around

I would imagine..but could be wrong, that if some of the guys from Germany would drop by..and these guys are the TRUE extreme speed maniacs, they could come up with many many points to improve what you have..

oh well thats my 2 cents

HB
revver #95
Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Zman39

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

Hey Z and remcl1..well done with some modest equipment when it comes to the speed game

I'm really sorry you took Mikes request with a touch of predejuice(please do not misunderstand this term ,it's not mean't in offense) to varify your GPS reading . The deal is, this is the speed forum where you get a variety of claims, and to the dedicated speed nuts here, an offer to varify a high speed pass like 194 MPH.. is a handy tool especially with the rpm range although a good ear can tell near enough...not to mention a sort of unoffical ranking as a tribute to your pursuit of having one of the fastest prop jobs around

I would imagine..but could be wrong, that if some of the guys from Germany would drop by..and these guys are the TRUE extreme speed maniacs, they could come up with many many points to improve what you have..

oh well thats my 2 cents

HB
revver #95

HB, That is not a true statement. 1) I started THIS thread not asking for advice but sharing info. 2) YOU WONT find anywhere where I said "no way" on video. That is just a flat out misquote to be nice about it. 3) It was others on this thread that were pushing me to bust the 200, not me. Please re read this entire thread. I got more into putting a safer prop and how to clip it if needed.

Z
Old 01-29-2008, 07:44 AM
daven

There are lots of good posts in this thread, and I think it is valuable. I do not want to lock this thing down, or edit posts.

Please keep RCU rules in mind when posting.

Thanks,

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)
Old 01-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Scorpion Racing

Ok, I am not a self proclaimed expert, but I am a current SEMPRA pylon racer and fly with the likes of the Freemans, Bridges, Vachlavs and some others you might have heard about. (I even see Dave Norman sometimes) I see 424, 428, 422 and FAI equipment fly and know what speed looks like. 180's sound a little high for you? This Meerkat is smaller than my Scorpion (My original design I won the 2007-424 SEMPRA season with...), has a much thinner fuse, thinner wing and weighs a pound less. Not to mention the engine is a .50! The rpm's are consistent with 428 numbers, which would put it in the speed range quoted. Smaller, lighter, an ungodly sounding unload in the air... It was there ... I launched it ... I know it was between a 428 and FAI speeds.

If you guys doubt the speeds of a Q500 style plane, look up a race in your area and actually attend an event. Who knows, maybe you will learn something, or figure maybe you should put your equipment on the line and race head to head with others who really do "go fast". If you notice an important fact here, all the pylon racers are offering support and praise for his efforts because they know something about it. That is what pylon is all about; speed, consistency and having fun in this sport. We all will help anyone with any bit of information we have to help.

The rest of you "Speed Freaks" need to get your stuff in the air and come out to play. I think anyone can run fast for a couple of passes, lets see how you deal with traffic!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Zman,

Way to go. Looks like I need to get off my butt and get a set of cores from Ron. Bad@$$!!!

Chris
Old 01-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I volunteer to take video. If I can keep up with it.
All I need is the sound to do a Doppler. I hope I will prove the GPS right, not wrong.

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Zman39
What prop did you settle on ?
And static rpm please.

ORIGINAL: Zman39

..... remcl1 is correct, Mike you are the only one who wants proof in this thread at least..... If it is important to you then the next time I fly with remcl1 on other side of town then I will ask him to take a video, sound bite or whatever.

....Since you referred to previous threads Mike, I would like to remind you your only posts on that thread was wanting rpms and pitch, again looking for a way to disprove the speed claim..

Z
I was not going to post anymore but you and your crew have twisted words, flamed or insulted Rudeboy, HighPlains, Myself and HaveBlue. The first quote above was posted a week before this thread was started. Is that what it takes for you to flame someone?????????????

When one of your crew says something and you let it stand I can only assume you agree. You or your crew have attacked everyone that questioned that you have a clipped wing Q-500 style plane that will outrun a Q40 There has been reluctance to back up the headlines
and I have been attacked for trying to help you prove your claim.

If you read your own thread you will see that Bob, me, Highplains, daven agreed with HighPlains and HaveBlue are all interested in verification.

At this point I am no longer interested and you can do your own Doppler check. I am out of your threads and it is close to a point that moderators should take action.

Sorry I felt a need to use names and I will remove them if requested.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

For one,

it would be useful for my records (I keep application info on hand) to know the flight rpm of the engine.

Video and sound recordings, and the doppler measurements are an effective way to do that.

In the past, the vidoe analysis has been corrolated to GPS, radar, and air data information. The more data, the better

In most cases, a flight video and sound recordings have proven useful for gathering several data points.

If one becomes available..... it will be nice to take a look at.

Hopefully the thread here stays on track.

Bob
Old 01-29-2008, 02:04 PM
daven

I'm not going to delete the thread, as it has a lot of good info.

I am going to lock it up though as I think it has ran its course.