Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Sundowner 50 goes 499mph!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sundowner 50 goes 499mph!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sundowner 50 goes 499mph!!!!!

Great video, and congrats on the accomplishment

What engine/prop/exhaust system are you running ?

I am sure your trap measurements were pretty good. Looks like the club members enjoyed the show too 200 ft is a tight fit for hand timing, but do-able.

But from the sound/sight of the video.... and based on experience flying 160-180 mph pylon aircraft it does not appear to be going over 200 at any time.

There are some folks here who can provide some doppler sound measurements and get a pretty accurate speed.

My estimate is more in the 130 - 140 mph range out of the dive early on. Speed is similar to a better performing sport Q-500

Still moving quite well... so great job.

Fastest SD 50 I am aware of was flying just about 150mph, and was using electric power and a crud load of battery amps to get there.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup, Doppler would be nice to see, I have to agree with Bob though, I would guess 130 to 140 is more accurate. For the record in this thread, I never owned a Sundowner 50 and it sure didn't go 499mph haha.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:04 AM
LGM Graphix

By the way, why didn't you just start a thread with your alley cat instead of dig up a thread from early 2008? You'd get a lot more people watching your video if it was in it's own thread
Old 07-25-2009, 08:23 AM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

THIS POST IS ABSOLUTLEY NONSENSE. WHY WOULD SOMEONE POST SOMETHING THAT IS COMPLETELY RETARDED, SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT HAVE A IQ LEVEL HIGHER THAN THAT OF A PEANUT.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vasek

- Street price not determined as of yet (have to add up all the property damage lawsuits pending from early test flights)

Lawsuits!!! tell them it is a new farm plow....or a low cost well drilling rig.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:01 AM
polishedbrother

[sm=47_47.gif]

YEA,ok....
Thats all Ill say for now...

Stay tuned to you tube. ILL be posting The new video with the radar showing.... The video should be up by 8/15/09 if weather permits...
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
bob27s

That will be good to see......

More videos the better Good audio is important too. The doppler speed measurements can be used to back up the radar info and to provide other data points.

Can you tell us what engine/prop/exhaust system you have on the Alley Cat ?

The Sundowner we ran last spring/summer was pretty quick with the Jett 60LX up front. Photo shows the radar trap. And others have gone quicker with other setups.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: mshay

THIS POST IS ABSOLUTLEY NONSENSE. WHY WOULD SOMEONE POST SOMETHING THAT IS COMPLETELY RETARDED, SOME PEOPLE JUST DONT HAVE A IQ LEVEL HIGHER THAN THAT OF A PEANUT.
And there there are the people who take the time to respond negatively to a nonsense thread where people are having fun. Those people don't have an IQ higher than that of a sesame seed They also tend to type in all capital letters.
Why be offended when people are having a bit of fun, it doesn't disrupt your life any to close that thread and move on.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:42 PM
LGM Graphix

BTW Bob, he's flying an Alley Cat, not a Sundowner.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
bob27s

Yep, got faked out by the thread title a bit... his post and video is an alley cat ....

Photo of speed trap is a sundowner mainly there just to show the speed trap and reference speed.

The AlleyCat was quicker with the 90LX up front. There is an alley cat thread here somewhere too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45534.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1247191  
Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
polishedbrother

To the nay-sayers, Im thinking of doing the speed run with the alley cat with an Iphone. there's a app called SPEED. Its GPS based. wondering if anyone has heard about it; and if a full video of it would satisfy the old tech racers.?????
Vid should be complete by 8/15/09
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 PM
polishedbrother

BOB take a look at what im working on...
[youtube][/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJTCfMW7QI
Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: polishedbrother

[youtube][/youtube]

Looks like a fun project

Be sure to open a new thread on it. Im sure we will want to see how the project develops

Bob
Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
bob27s

To the nay-sayers, Im thinking of doing the speed run with the alley cat with an Iphone. there's a app called SPEED. Its GPS based. wondering if anyone has heard about it; and if a full video of it would satisfy the old tech racers.?????
Vid should be complete by 8/15/09
Would be interesting. However some GPS will not really get you an honest speed. Has to do with tragectory compared with the location of the satellites, and the resolution involved. Good info to gather none the less, so worth a try.

The video with good sound track would facilitate a doppler speed measurement. Live doppler measurement is used for many of the "speed trial" and record attempts, and it is quite accurate. Recorded doppler shift speed calculations have been pretty accurate, as long as one is not looking for much better than +/- 3-5 mph (which is good enough for the ball park we are working in).

Important thing is to keep the microphone or camera in one place during each speed pass, and try to avoid any background noise (or other engines). You will learn the in flight engine rpm, and the aircraft velocity. A good straight pass upwind and downwind will give you the best average.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: diggs_74

ORIGINAL: vicman

Finally a guy who gets all this top recorded speed nonsense! Well done sir! I travel around at 1.4 jigawatts if anyone named Marty cares.
I don't mean to be picky but I believe it was 1.21 jigawatts.. Great Scott, I'm a geek!!

Whoa, this is heavy.

There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 AM
LGM Graphix

Well folks, I'm sorry to say that after 327,479 flights, the supersonic sundowner is no more. It didn't crash, but it was flying far to fast for mere mortals to follow and all I could do was point the nose straight up, I'm pretty sure it continued to accelerate as the air got thinner and the drag coefficient was reduced. It is now in orbit never to be seen again. Probably going to be captured by the same guys that have that damn russian satelite!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:40 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Lol, I enjoy your sense of humor Jeremy.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 AM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4

Lol, I enjoy your sense of humor Jeremy.

haha,
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Well folks, I'm sorry to say that after 327,479 flights, the supersonic sundowner is no more. It didn't crash, but it was flying far to fast for mere mortals to follow and all I could do was point the nose straight up, I'm pretty sure it continued to accelerate as the air got thinner and the drag coefficient was reduced. It is now in orbit never to be seen again. Probably going to be captured by the same guys that have that damn russian satelite!

O the infamos last flight, in and above class A airspace.
Were you running an automatic mixture control base on EGT or a variable ratio supercharger?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 AM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

O the infamos last flight, in and above class A airspace.
Were you running an automatic mixture control base on EGT or a variable ratio supercharger?

Neither actually, we were running a new technology self tuning fuel. Unfortunately its formula is classified. All I can tell you is that it uses the rectal glands of the bat ear'd fox and the juices from the Trinidad scorpion pepper. I can't divulge further ingredients nor the mix ratio that creates the proper crystalline polymer for the self tuning ability.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
14Glen

LGM,
Well to let you know, We (the Poverty Ridge Pack Rats!) Have been testing here in "Big Level, Mississippi." In the Quest of that elusive 500 MPH! Since you have given us some of your information, we will give some of our information.

The engine (Secret) is a one of a kind. Hand built, custom made. Triple port, Fuel injected, Electronic controlled multi port firing timed odd fire V-6. With turbo, blower and nitro system.

The fuel (Secret) came from a framer down the road.

The plane design (Secret) made from pop cycle sticks, bike parts, Land mower, truck mirror and welding rods. Covered with brown paper bag, Elmer's glue and 100 MPH Nascar speed tape.

It is put together with a hot glue welding gun.

Now for the testing of the engine, We had to get a Mack truck's starter to turn it over with. After it turned over, We put the fuel in it. Hooked up the cattle prod ignition system. Opened the fuel. Hit the starter, BLAM it fired right up. We did how ever pull the plug and had to stop testing the engine to put out a fire in the shop from the headers. After the fires were out and the fire dept sampled the fuel, we started the engine again. Brought it up to almost half throttle (22,682 RPM's) Hit the button, IT jumped twice the RPM's! (now we are cooking). We heard a Swooshing, pooping, crackle! The wiggle pin let lose, Broke the wobbling iron and the thing-ah-ma-gig sat caddy wampus! It set the dang shop on fire again! And was now running WIDE OPEN! Thanks to "Pulpwood" (partner) who put that logging chain on for safety, or we would have been in deeper Kim-she!

The Fire Dept. put out several fires in the shop, woods and lawn. While we were working on getting the run away engine stopped. 45 minuets later (@1:42 A.M.) we were still trying to shut the engine down, when we found the key on the floor and turned it off. It was smoking a bit.

The Fire Dept. left all but the fire Marshal (Buddy). We sat around and discussed the fires. He wanted to sample the fuel and we did. That was 3 days ago. (We don't remember the last 3 days)

I woke up to a cold 5 gallon bucket of water from the wife this morning. All the paper work; Drawings, Sketches and prints gone to the fire. The engine is a glob of melted mess and the plane is just gone(MIA).

We are going to "Pulpwood's" shop now to start over. But we still have a sample of farmer Mike's fuel. We might be willing to help you in your pursuit in the 500 MPH, IF you include us in the fame and fortune (with our help) WHEN you break that mark!

Thanks, Glen and Pulpwood
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Crazy4Flight

I had a speed run Sunday evening ending at 488.95 MPH. That's when the counter rotating gear box fused. The plane went screaming to earth peaking at 127.3 decibels. All that was left at ground zero was the tail section, made from vacuum formed helium inpregnated titanium sheet, and a three foot tall mushroom cloud.

For this speed run I had to use Tibetan Panther Piss for the base of my fuel. The rest of the fuels makeup is so classified that the MSDS had to be written in Klingon. Lubricants were directly injected through the cylinder head via the oscillating over-thruster. Extreme care was needed for the quad-nitro-bisillyium additive kept the tri-slipperyium oil from spontaneous fusion. Fully aware of the self oxygenating fuel we kept it in a ceramic lined porta-poty at minus 53 degrees Kelvin. The ignition system is a simple proton injected magneto. The reed valve, in the carburetor, came from Lisa Simpson's saxophone. Swiss molybdenum needle bearings are integral to the muffler housing to reduce friction durring the recompression phase.

Sorry I cannot disclose any further information, other than a change of under shorts was required. ( Talk about skid marks! )
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM
14Glen

Crazy,
Oh my ba-jeezis! Are you okay? Man it sounds like you were zeroing in on that 500! Sorry for you loss, for I know what it is like to get SO,So close, but so far still yet. I want to Thank you for bring some thing to light on my resent troubles.

The thing I forgot to check on my engine was those Blasted muffler bearings! Are they to be + or - .0005?

Thanks, Glen
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

[youtube][/youtube]

Man that voice sounds real familiar, you wouldn't happen to be a member of S.A.C would you?
I use to be a member a long time ago and I think we use to fly together..

Jimbo
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM
LGM Graphix

We are certain we've exceeded 500mph before the loss of this airplane, as mentioned on the first page:

local entomologists society that they received some satelite images of my sundowner on an old russian spy satelite they had purchased a few years ago and with careful study, they believe the sundowner actually exceeded 500mph
We know we've since exceeded those initial speeds by a wide margin, we were able to tell this from the size of the dump in our shorts after each flight. We're pretty certain we'll do another one, we have the fuel mixture down now, the secret I think is that we've found by taking multivitamins, and capturing our farts in a jar, we can then pressurize a canister to inject fart gas into the carburator in flight, this works better than nitrous does. We're going to build a Clancy Lazy Bee with an old K&B .19 we found at a swap meet. We're pushing for 4 digit speeds with that one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.