Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Ordered a dominator 500, couple questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Ordered a dominator 500, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 PM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered a dominator 500, couple questions

I almost went with a delta as my first speed plane, but ended up going on a different route and ended with a Lanier dominator 500. I'm a teacher and fly a lot alone in the summer when I'm off so I wanted an easier plane to fly, one that can actaully taxi out and take off like a traditional plane.
I'll be powering it with a 46ax that I have sitting around. Probably get a Jett muffler for it eventually. My goal is to build a fast sport plane rather than a pure racer so I'll be going with larger ailerons. Here's my questions. Is it worth using two aileron servos to allow aileron differential or span flaps or spoilerons? Is there even room for two aileron servos in the fuse? I think I'll go with the conventional tail. How effective is the rudder? Would it be worth enlarging it for better knife edge? Or would this be a recipe for flutter? 100 mph knife edge would be cool. Then again there's very little fuse side area so maybe that's a no go as well. Looks like glassing the firewall is recommened. Finally, does anyone have build pics of a dominator 500? I keep searching and can't find any pics of the build process. I did find a dominator 200 thread. If you have any more info please share it. I'd love to go into the build process knowing exactly what to do.

Any speed guesses running a 46ax and 9x8 prop?

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 AM
scoeroo

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Ordered a dominator 500, couple questions

You should have went with the VIPER 500 , better - faster - stronger ,

I personaly wouldn't touch a LANIER kit.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

My favorite Q 500 is the Viper, but it's far from problem free. Just look at the threads. I don't know the Dominator that well, so search the threads on RCU to find and correct any short comings. The ailerons are so small, it just isn't worth the effort to do spoilerons, the room is limited and you don't want to add more weight. Most Q 500 fly nearly as slow as trainer for landings with the engine stopped anyway. My viper will fly knife edge no problem, so I don't see why the Dominator cannot do it too, but expect it to knife edge over a 100 to keep it from slipping down. For the first few flights go with the stock muffler and a 9X7 then, by all means get the Jett muffler. I would try the 9X8 too.

If this is your first speed plane K.I.S.S. don't put too much effort with added features in it, for it may not last long.
No hart ache makes it easier to go out and snag another $140 ARF. Build it. Fly it. And grin!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

The only advantage of running two aileron servos would be to have flapperons to help slow down the plane on final, and possibly adding wing reflex if mixed with elevator in the turns. You would need to use mini servos (Hitec 225 sized) to get them to fit. Personally, I don't think I would go that route.

The stock rudder will allow knife edge, in fact, you won't need much at all. On these types of planes, rudder is typpically only used to insure a straight takeoff and to trim the plane so the tail is parrellel to the ground in knife edge.

With an OS .46AX speeds of 125 mph + are possible if the plane is kept around 3 1/2 - 3 3/4 lbs.

I built one of these about 9 years ago, and it was a nice flying plane with conventional tail. The stock 1/4" firewall is a little thin, I would cap the front with an additional 1/8" Aircraft Ply. Other than that, I don't remember anything unusual, or poorly designed with this plane. I think I just saw these kits on sale for $39 on towers site. Good deal, although I remember them coming with very little instructions, and virtually no hardware?? Long time ago.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I built the Dominator 500 per the instructions and flew it with a 46FX and Jett 50. I had no issues with the quality of the kit and it flew as well as any Q-500 I have owned. Mine was set up for sport flying with the longer ailerons and I would make them even longer if I did it again. I am surprised the daven did recommend a 10 x 7 since you are using a 46 AX. I liked the 9" prop with the higher rpm engines. Glass the firewall and wing center section and it should hold up fine.

Q-500 planes with a tail skid do not taxi well. A tail wheel may help with taxi but takeoffs can be tricky if you do not have a helper release at full throttle.

When you get ready for a Delta I know where you can get one.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:10 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

In regards to what Mike mentioned, the OS AX tends to like being loaded down a bit more than it predecessor FX Style.

I've had good succes with an APC 10x7 sport prop for good all around habits. Should hit somewhere between 14,000-14,500 peak on the ground, launch about 400 off that. Another good prop, gives a little higher top speed, but doesn't hold as much in the turns is the APC 9 1/2x8N. Its not listed on the APC website, but Fred has about 300 of them left, and the molds to make more. That is probably the best prop for a Q500 style plane, but on some days, the 10x7 can't be beat.

You will want to find a backplate mount. I think you can find them at www.pspec.com or possibly www.jettengineering.com
Old 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM
BlackB12

thanks for the advise guys. I went with the dominator since it was a kit, therefore it was cheaper( 39.99) , and I got a tower gift coupon for Christmas so the plane didn't cost me anything. Freakinfast makes a good point and yes, if it were summer and I HAD to get a new plane due to a crash, then yes you can't beat an ARF. But, it's winter here and I'm looking for a build project.
I'm not looking to race. In fact I don't know of any site around here that does racing. I'm just looking for a nice speed plane to replace my beater skyraider mach 2. Sounds like I just need to build it to plan and maybe beef up the firewall area. With it take off grass with the stock wheels?

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 PM
skull1971

Yes it will get off the grass, BUT, the stock wheel are junk, look at some of the race web sites and get some better wheels. You said you wanted a fast sport plane, IMO, this is not it. It's a race plane, it likes to roll up on an edge and turn, FAST. Loops and rolls? it can but they aren't great. It will fly nothing like the skyraider you have. A Lanier Shrike is a fun plane for a go fast sport, a OS 46 puts it well into the 100mph range.

P.S. I fly mine off grass, got about 80+ flights on it, if I can answer any questions, please ask.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
BlackB12

I finally started the build. The kit is pretty sparse, but that's fine as I like to make my own hardware choices. As for wing sheeting. Would it be better to sheet the wing as one piece, rather than two separate panels as the instructions say to do? If I do it as one should I stagger the 30 inch long sheets so that there's no joint right at the middle of the wing?

Mike
Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I built mine per the instructions but your thoughts should be fine after you epoxy the the foam together. I used three layers of 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth on the center section and it held up well for many flights and a crash.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:33 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Its a basic Q-500 type design..... builds nice... flys well. Sounds like a good deal on it too.

Id say just build two halves. We did it that way for a lot of years, and it works fine.

I use 2 or 3 layers of 2oz cloth on the center. For just sport flying, 2 layers would be good.

Sheeting one piece ---- nice to do, but you still will want to glass the center. Needs a bit of toughness regardless, and allows for a good load when bolted to the fuselage.

Do not forget to fiberglass the firewall area. A layer of 2oz cloth side-firewall-size is necessary.