Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum Q`s

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 04:00 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Magnum Q`s

Just had the first flight of my second magnum today! And I used the Eurotec engine instead of the old Topaz 46 on this one.

now the Questiuons.....

Is there any way to improve the way it turns ?

What I am doing now, is banking 90 degrees and pulling up elevator to make it turn. When I do this, the nose begins to drop in the turn, making the plane go down... then i have to level out, and apply more elevator so it doesnt fly down again......

I did not have this problem too this extent on my old plane :-(

I hope you guys understad what i mean....Im not too good at explaining...

My CG is at 130mm and I have no aileron diferential. Elevator is trimed slightly up.

How can i change the way it turns ?

Ad some plus or negative aileron diferential ?
Raise or lower the ailerons a bit ?
GC seems to be fine at 130mm dry

And how do you align your ailerons ? looking at the trailing edge, you can center them at the tips, or center then at the root of the wing. Or do you center them between both ?

The West Eurotek engine.....

The stock glow plug died on the third run. I think it leaned out inflight, and burnt it....... I think .

Is it ok to use an OS 8 plug or a rossi #3 plug instead ?

Thanks SJ.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:50 PM
fullscale
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Q`s

mine also diver over in the turn anything past 45, talking to the jet guy they this is normal for jet and i assume that is fine for the magnum. If it is not so then i would be interested also.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 AM
RampRat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Q`s

As for turning, i have no hopes of improving it on my Magnum. "Turning on a dime" in my case will take something like 150-200 meter wide circle for a 180-turn at full speed. With a 70-80 degrees of bank it doesn't descend at tight turns at high speed, but at 90 degrees all the lift is used for the turn, so there is nothing left to keep it flying.

I usually use 70-80-bank for most of my turns, except for landing. I take the engine down to idle on the downwind-leg, and use 45-bank turns to line up with the runway (unless it's coming in to fast. Then i'll turn towards final with a tight 90-bank turn to bleed off speed).

How is your Magnum when you flare it for landing? Do you get the nose up, or do you get real "firm" landings?

I have my CG between 130 and 135 mm's, and mine is coming in "nose high" on short final,with the nose up 10-15 degrees at touchdown, and even then i have enough elevator left to pull the nose up.

If you have it trimmed up-elevator you might consider moving the CG a few mm's back. It would give you tighter turns, and it would make the landings smoother.

I haven't tried differential on the ailerons, and i alligned them with the root-trailing edge.

I'm using OS A5-glowplugs on mine, and i believe most do here in southern Norway, so i guess it would probably be a good choice for flying the Magnum in Denmark as well.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:23 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Magnum Q`s

Thanks Ramprat. I guess Ill just have to experiment a bit myself :-)

Mine lands perfecly with the nose up like yours. I dont think I will move the CG more aft, because then I will have to add lead to the tail. My reciever batt is allready on a little tray above the elevator pushrods.

SJ.