Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

WM P-51. To clip or not to clip the wings?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:22 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default WM P-51. To clip or not to clip the wings?

Is it worth the effort to clip the wings to gain speed?
I just got anther World Models P-51 Rockwell Yellow. I had one years ago with a YS 91 in it, the crystal went out in the receiver and that was the end of that. [:@] This time the engine that’s going in her is an OS 55 AX with Macs tuned “Quiet Pipe”. I plan on racing it at SAMS in “bronze” and with the engine displacement I’ve chosen the rules allow me to reduce the wings area from 585 sq. in. to 513 sq. in. Basically it’s clipping about 3” off each wing tip. My thinking is, what speed I gain in the straits, I would scrub off in the turns due to the higher wing loading 25.8 oz./sq. ft vs. 29 oz/sq. ft. I know it would land hotter, but that’s not a deciding factor. Ideas ?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 PM
learjet45xp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: WM P-51. To clip or not to clip the wings?

I clipped about 3.5" off my PTS mustang from hangar 9. I am running an 91fx w/ jett pipe and a 12x8 prop. I didn't realy notice any bad handling quality's afterwards, and it still lands nicely. though it won't glide very well now. I got probably another 10MPH out of her with clipped wings.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did on my WM .40 and the GS WM. I did it for looks. Looked goooooood. I run a Saito 100 in my little one now but have had them with a G90 but the best combo I like is the 61fx. Built some for friends with an 11/7 apc
Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Freakingfast:

Can you run a JettStream or Nelson exhaust system in that class? If so, there is a much better engine choice out there. The OS AX is a good sports engine timmed for sport use, period. A Webra 55 with Jetstream and 10 X 10 apc will flat shock you as to power and speed. The AX would burn up trying to pull that 10 X 10 as would my Jett 60 LX. The Webera is a beast of beasts and will stay with the Jett 60LX in the same airframe, proven to me over and over again last year in our club open class. You must break in the Webra with care, run at least a gallon through it prior to use, but well worth the end result. I put one in a bashed 40" AviStar last year for a practice airplane for our club "Open" class. Flew it undefeated throuth the entire 07 season, and will start the 08 season with it to test the gangs latest creations. Yes, there is a backup homebrew thingy Jett 60 LX powered in reserve, a true Q-500 eater, but quicker than I would like to go. Yes, something that exceeds the old man 's need for speed, but then, age is finally catching up with me. Try one, I guarantee you will not be disapointed, or I will buy it back!! ENJOY, bro 119
Old 02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

remenk
I have several OS 55s and Webra 55s and they both have their uses. I run the Webra’s on the faster planes like my viper and Diamond Dust and the Webra would blow the OS away in those planes. In a sport plane like a Tiger II the OS can swing more disc area/pich and it will eat the Webra. The P-51 is not a real clean plane, so again I have to lean toward the OS. Yes you can go with less pitch on the Webra and let it scream but it just doesn’t seem as fast, just sounds faster. Others are reporting great success with the OS 55 and aftermarket exhaust on WM P-51s turning an APC 11X9 sport prop trimmed to 10.5X9 (washout at the blade tips replaced) and MAS S-2 11X8 trimmed to 10.8 X 8. The APC 10X10 works but the disc area is a bit small to get the speed back up quickly after a turn. All of these props will turn around 14,400 with pipe and leaves plenty of room for unloading once airborne. I can't wait to try those props.
If I wanted to go real fast I'd just hang a YS 110s on it but for now I just want to "test the waters" in “bronze class” warbird racing.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FF:

Right on. My point, a Hobbico Avi Star even with the nose streemlined is not what you should call clean, even with the wing cut to 40" and one bay out of the elevator. When it comes to a clean airframe, my bet is on the Jett 60LX, god that thing us flat scary fast. Regardless, looks like you have a handle on things. Yea, cut the wing down, you should not have a problem, the Reno racers did not? I may just try a OS 55 in the future, am just not a OS fan except for the 91VR-DF. ENJOY