Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

sick of jetts

Old 02-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sick of jetts

ORIGINAL: jetdryvr

Troy,
Which plane was that this weekend?
I have only seen/heard SteveC doin the one bladed prop deal. It looks really cool and amazing it works so well.
We've played around with them for a while but I don't have good data on course how they really do. I was going to try one at the US Team Selection but I knew I could break the record with the prop I was running tweaked a little bit. This was the first time on the uber power system and it seemed fast but the noise was what woke everyone up. They take a while to accelerate but do get up and go once on step. I'd like to get a radar reading... Perhaps at the next desert trip.

Tequila!!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell yeah! [sm=biggrin.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 02-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Kmot

I have located the perfect electric motors for the Speed Brotherhood! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90367.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	883673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84814.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	883674  
Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 AM
jetdryvr

I know the one on the left winds up the rubber bands, but is the one on the right a battery charger?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 AM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Well, if dead sticks, slimey messes, more time tuning than flying is your thing- Glow is for you !!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:35 AM
I_Fly_Coolers

FACT: More flying fields have been lost due to NOISE than any other reason. Many of these fields/clubs have not been relocated/replaced.

That, in itself, is a cause for worry...and electric power makes the hobby more "tolerable" to the general public.

The main drawback to large electrics right now is the price of the Lipo batteries...at least on larger planes.

Although my largest electric is a 1.20 size Super Decathlon @ 16 lbs AUW. 2700 watts/ 3.6 HP

10 minute flight times. 30 minutes recharge.

Overall, I get more flight time in a day at the field than any glow flier I have yet seen. Between the engine troubles, dead sticks and resulting damage, fuel pickup problems etc etc ....

Some people like to go to the field and tinker with an engine. Not me. I go there to FLY !!!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Fxrs_tim

ORIGINAL: I_Fly_Coolers

The main drawback to large electrics right now is the price of the Lipo batteries...at least on larger planes.

Uh.... no. The *sound* (or lack of) is the drawback. Engine noise is music. An old ballistic pattern plane coming out of a split-s; a QM40 engine coming around pylon 1; a Ferrari V-10 at 19k..... Those are the sounds of speed.

Yeah, a F5D hauls tail and is cool, but it'll never be as cool as a screamin' glow motor.

Luckily I fly at a remote field where noise isn't an issue.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I agree with Tim, noise is a good thing if your going fast!

can you imagine NASCAR going electric?[:'(] Only the posh would attend[&:]
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I_Fly_Coolers

Many people find the high pitched scream of a glow engine annoying I.E. NOISE, however I do like the sound of a 4-stroke.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember electric rc is
"The way of the future, the way of the future, the way of the future"
Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Overall, I get more flight time in a day at the field than any glow flier I have yet seen. Between the engine troubles, dead sticks and resulting damage, fuel pickup problems etc etc ....
I agree, that for the inept, electric power is the way. But instead of 10 minutes flying and 30 minutes charging, I can fly for 30 and refuel, pee, and get a drink in 10.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

2 stroke's were there at the very beginning of r/c. (electric wasn't even concieved yet)
2 stroke's will be here in the stretch.
2 stroke's will be there in the end!
All slimy and noisy.
Field or no field.
Like it or not.
Some pic's to enjoy.

Name:	Ki18903.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	883901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74374.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	883902  
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 PM
jeffk464

Hey, I run glow exclusively because I'm cheap. As the price of lipo's comes down, a lot of cheap people like me will make the switch.

Currently you can get a fairly good .90 glow for $100-200 bucks
Plus glow fuel probably costs about $8 for a days flying

but the equivalent electric setup would be $250-400 as far as I can figure.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Strykaas

As the price of lipo's comes down
It actually went up recently. Maybe 15-20 %. Dollar is getting weak these days ...
Old 02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
z06kal

Last I checked this was the high performance "extreme speed prop planes" section not the "old timers having sentimental feelings about out dated technology" section.

You always have this type of silly human sentimentality and resistance whenever anything new comes out. You can look at litteraly anything and find the same resistance to change attitude. Just a fact that humans don't like change.

I flew glow for 10 years however I'm always up for whatever offers the greatest cost/benefit relationship.

All I hear is a bunch of whining about the sound. I thought this was the extreme speed prop planes section? As any of the fast electric guys will tell you if you are spinning a 7x7 or bigger prop at supersonic speeds the crack of mini sound barriers is so much louder than anything coming out of that tiny hole in your muffler. Most people can't even tell much difference in sound in the air between a 2000-2500 watt electric motor spinning 28,000rpm or a Nelson/Jett spinning the same prop at similar rpm as the sound of the prop is far louder than anything else.

When I was flying this plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b32TrOxF6Q

compare the sound to this plane (exclude sputtering of poorly tuned motor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVs4NEtYnM4

Everyone thought it was powered by a Nelson or Jett .40 until they saw me taxing it back and realized it was electric.

So the sound argument in an extreme speed prop plane section is pretty lame IMHO as if you are turning the prop fast enough you shouldn't even be hearing much of the engine noise. Also it's not like these tiny displacement single cylinder 2 strokes have this amazingly beautiful perfectly harmoneous balanced sound coming out of them. Clearly an electric car will never sound as good as a Lamborghini or Ferrari V12 but give me a break you are talking about an engine that sounds identical to my gardeners leaf blower when he is pushing leaves around in the front yard. Not exactly special sounding. Which would you rather have an engine that sounds like a kitchen appliance or a gardening tool? Not exactly a winner here.

Also the price/cost relationship is starting to really really fall into comparables. For example for $100 motor/esc combo from united hobbies you have a power system better than your average .91 2 stroke. You can also get a decent lipo battery to power it for about $150. Thats the same price as your average .91 2 stroke with a gallon of glow fuel except with some care that battery will last at least 150-200 cycles even with just 6 minute flights thats equivalent to at least 9 ounces of fuel (realistically more with fuel wasted in start up, run up, tunning, filling etc). Thats 14 gallons of glow fuel and even the low nitro stuff is at least $10 per gallon. And this is not even taking into account the cost of a wrecked plane that is the result of a dead stick. When you go into smaller scale the performance/price/cost of operation/ease of operation swings even more highly in favor of electric.

Right now you still end up with a very heavy plane if you want to fly something like a Patriot 60 on a Jett Fire .90 with equivalent power and speed for a full on 12 minute flight. Methonal has something like 100 times the power density of lithium and for this reason glow clearly takes the nod. In RC applications however the IC engines are highly highly ineffecient and so electrics can compete better. Many people are more than willing to take the full power run time disadvantage of electric to the ease and reliability of operation.

Most of the other arguments are really bogus however. IF you have multiple packs you can basically fly as much as you want without waiting for charging just plug in the pack and go while the other packs are charging. Even refueling and starting dialing in takes time.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will go E power as soon as the commerical airlines do.

Just how manny Li-Po s does it take to get a Boeing 777 from new York to LA ????
Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Kmot

Some of you guys are getting your panties in a wad!

This is just good natured ribbing amongst friends. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Now, go see a counselor about your aversion to precious glow fuel lube.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Woodland Hill's,
Just the fact's in my post.[X(]
All of the emotion and sentiment was in the picture's

Name:	Om32094.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	884193  
Old 02-20-2008, 07:16 PM
HighPlains

It looked like a 50% larger airplane going 25% faster to me. If I want to taxi, I have planes that do that too.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

I agree, that for the inept, electric power is the way. But instead of 10 minutes flying and 30 minutes charging, I can fly for 30 and refuel, pee, and get a drink in 10.

Sounds like you are too inept to do the math, or calculations, or research required to fly electric.

Just slap on the biggest slime pump you can fit and go full throttle [X(]

Glow engines are perfect for the inept who can't understand how electricity works. It's MAGIC [8D]

At least when I go to pee I only have to wash my hands AFTERWORDS That is unless I'm working the TX impound with your out of date 72 mhz gold label tower hobbies special in my hand

Be careful as I'm sure glow slime is not good for your weenie. It has been known in the state of California to cause shrinkage

Speaking of battery cost, how about the 30% Ultimate that dead sticked after a low pass at my field because of a bad fuel clunk. $150 later, it had new CF gear and CF prop. So don't forget to add that to your expense report.

I can fly continuously all day if I wanted, I usually bring 2 planes and one heli, charge one fly the other etc etc so flight time is really not the issue. However I usually can't as I have to constantly wait for the slimers to walk out to the runway and pick up their dead stick. Or worse, when their dead stick lands out 100 yards. Then I just unplug and wait. No need to keep running the throttle up and down fearing my slime pump may quit at any moment. Usually I feel bad for the slimers and let them take off first so their noise makers don;t quit while they are waiting in line. [:-]

Many inept glow fliers cannot make the switch to electric because it requires something called THROTTLE CONTROL. Unfortunately after years of dead sticks most glow fliers are afraid of anything other than full throttle and this makes the switch to electric flight near impossible.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

Welcome to the future...

Don't be afraid...

We will assimilate you...

Sundowner 50 electric

130 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXl6t3L2wCI

Sounds pretty damn good too
Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

Oh..on the subject of SOUND :

Two examples. Both MD530 Heli's use the same exact fuselage

One is Glow:

http://rcuvideos.com/item/948Q2YYQBRQDL6M3

One is electric (inept, right ? )

http://rcuvideos.com/item/RT580R7B7YY6T6M0

Tell me which one SOUNDS better, and more REALISTIC.

We won't even discuss the smoke trail

)
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

SIZE MATTERS !!!!

Name:	Ge94284.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	884243  
Old 02-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I_Fly_Coolers

" Hey Bob thanks for holding my plane while I adjusted the needle "

Name:	Mk27610.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	884250  
Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
HighPlains

Sounds like you are too inept to do the math, or calculations, or research required to fly electric.

Just slap on the biggest slime pump you can fit and go full throttle

Glow engines are perfect for the inept who can't understand how electricity works.
I guess my BSEE degree and 7 US Patents are proof of that.

Nice picture of of the motor, but you know what they say - little hands, little ........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.