Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Magnum first flight questions....

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum first flight questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 04:52 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Magnum first flight questions....

Ok, I've read through alot of the previous magnum posts, it seems to be kinda split 50/50 as to success vs failure, so to those who've had success, and to those who've failed with a real deduction as to why they failed, I have a few questions.

I just got a Magnum with the Weston 50 and pipe. APC 9x7 prop for first flights, I suppose 15% nitro (I have alot of 25% left from my pattern days, can I burn this? or will that cause problems)

What I've done.....

The kit is basically stock, save for changing the trim colors. I have no slop in the linkages, ball bearing JR531 servo's for elevator and ailerons, hinge gaps are sealed, added a fillet in the wing fuse gap as there was a large space and the wing didn't fit to the fuse very well.

Radio, JR PCM10SXII with throws set as per instructions for high rate, 2nd rate 80%, lowest rate 60%.

I'm at about 1600 ft above sea level.

What are some of the do's and don'ts with this plane, launching, landing etc.

My flying experience includes, FAI precision aerobatics, Quickie 500, Formula one, DF jets, and currenly Turbine jets. The speed doesn't concern me, what concerns me is some of the stability issues listed, and unknown crash reasons.

Any advice is much appreciated

Jeremy
Old 04-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have as much elevator as poss for landing and a " that looks ok " amount of aileron, the CofG is back slightly from instructions to again help landing, it can flick slightly on launch but its easily caught as the engine tears it away and upwards, get a friend to hold it on the nose and just behind the wing, hold it high and throw forwards ( well durr ) and up slightly, it'll go from this. we use 8x8 props with an inch taken off the header, 10% fuel is great, 15, wow...
when your about to cut stay high and pull it round for the landing asap, point it at the patch and dive to keep speed up, should be very much like a dead stick DF with that fan drag, just here you have little wing. flare late and slide it in ( vids of this on my site )
Use tape on the stickers if they arnt stuck fast, this has caused problems. lastly fly it low, fly it close, makes it look even faster. enjoy
Old 04-20-2003, 04:53 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Thank you for the reply, I watched the vid's on your site. I actually peeled all that black crap off and added new trim. I'll get some pics to put up, it looks pretty sharp now, I never really liked the black that was on there. I'm assuming from what you say, that it kind of glides like a brick? In other words, once you're dead, you're coming down quick? I remember my formula one plane, when it died, you had to drag the final forever or it would just float by, it never wanted to land hehehe.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:20 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

its not far off it, at 170+ you don't need that lift that helps in dead stick, it'll just slow you down, i flew mine for the first time the other day and it didn't catch me out, last big dive down wind, cuts just past my self, pull up into wing over and aim for the patch, it did flare for ages with all that speed left from the dive. Anyone that has belly landing experience on fairly high loaded planes should be ok with this. its not that scary, did you count the airborne seconds after dead stick in the videos... more than enough.
only thing i did find is you climb and climb, almost loose sight of it, turn and dive back down its only the back trim your flying, then pull out and it disappears for a while, have to keep sharp with this one. unless you just pull it around and fly it like any old sport plane ZZZZZZZz
Old 04-20-2003, 05:47 PM
RampRat

The Magnum isn't much for floating. When the engine quits you will not regret converting speed into altitude. I would estimate the glideratio of my Magnum to be around 2:1, that is two parts forward for each part down.

A Cessna 172 (wich is considered a brick by several pilots that i know) has 9:1 as glideratio.... I guess the Magnum is the brick of bricks...
Old 04-28-2003, 04:30 PM
pwood

Move the cg back by +/- 20mm and it is much better.

Paul
Old 05-06-2003, 02:16 PM
simonbsimonb

been flying the magnum for 1 year none of reported problems

using the west motor then dont use any more than 10% nitro

or youll blow it up ( prosynth fuel ony for gurantee )

9x6 to run it in 8x9 for speed

happy flying