Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Great Planes Tracer

Old 04-20-2003, 11:36 PM
deltatech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Great Planes Tracer

I have a Great Planes Tracer with a Thunder Tiger .46 and APC 10x6 prop. Does this A/C rate as an extream speed prop plane? How can I make it go faster?
Old 04-20-2003, 11:56 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If its extreme speed to you, it qualifies.

You may want to try a couple other props to get your speed up a little more. APC 9x7 or 9x8 would make the plane faster. Other ideas would be a tuned muffler of some sort. The ultrathrust is great, but the tower hobbies muffler works also at a bunch less $
Old 04-25-2003, 04:07 PM
czech89
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got a GP Tracer with retracts and a Webra Speed .50 in it. Running a 10x7 APC prop on 10% nitro. It is much faster than your average sport model and I would guestimate around 100mph +/-. The problem I have run into is the monokote over the open wing structure begins to drum at high speed. It sounds like the airplane is about to come apart, so I either have to throttle back or run the engine slightly richer. I thought it was control flutter at first, but all controls and linkages are tight. The open wing structure is not conducive to extreme speed, but it is still a great flying airplane that tracks like it is on rails! Terry.
Old 04-25-2003, 04:55 PM
deltatech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply czech89. I destroyed the wing on my Tracer so I'm Considering building a new wing with retracts. Since you mentioned the problem with the open wing panels, maybe I will sheet the entire wing and upgrade the engine. Yes the Tracer will go exactly where you put it and that's why I like it so much. It's easy to fly as long as you keep up with it. Thanks for the insight.