Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Help! Need to chose engine.

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Help! Need to chose engine.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 PM
General Lee Stupid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need to chose engine.

OK, so I have started to build a Laser Model's Laser Arrow. The Arrow is a delta and recomends approximately .25 to .60
I am thinking about getting either a .55 AX or a .32 SX. The SX has 5,000 RPM on the AX, but the AX has a touch more power. What do you guys think, also is there another engine in somewhat of the same price range that would do even better? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help! Need to chose engine.

ORIGINAL: General Lee Stupid

I am thinking about getting either a .55 AX or a .32 SX. The SX has 5,000 RPM on the AX, but the AX has a touch more power. What do you guys think, also is there another engine in somewhat of the same price range that would do even better? Thanks.
Que? What difference does the manufacturer's rpm rating make to your engine choice? They don't use the same props. Horsepower = speed, assuming prop choice is sensible. I doubt you'll be too thrilled using an engine from the bottom end of the range, and of course that's certainly not in keeping with the normal mindset on this forum. The .55 would be a better choice for this model. It's not a rocketship, the airfoil is pretty thick, but it moves along smartly. My choice was an OPS Super .60 with pipe, because I had one needing something to bolt it to.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:42 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

GLS:

MJD is right on the money. This forum is intended for the speed all out crazy bunch that no one else wants around. Well, they got the all out crazy bunch all right, but as God would have it, they also are outstanding people well worth taking you time to know. The occasional person you see helping the little old lady across the street, or simply helping someone by odds are one of the types. Get close, probably will hear him mutterning whoom, whoom zoom or something like that as he does a good thing. We start where the typical RC guy thinks its to fast and improve from there. Most of this gang are competitive racer types. There are few that understand or can grasp the mind of a racer, except another racer. If somewhat normal, you may fantazize about a sweet young thing as most normal boys do. This bunch thinks in turms of prop size, rpm's and drag improvement, simply said how to go faster. Most everyone are wellcome herein, just try to understand who and what you are dealing with. Ohhh yea, we all tend to get a little over the top as we age. I'm way up there. ENJOY
Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rmenke

GLS:

MJD is right on the money. This forum is intended for the speed all out crazy bunch that no one else wants around. Well, they got the all out crazy bunch all right, but as God would have it, they also are outstanding people well worth taking you time to know. The occasional person you see helping the little old lady across the street, or simply helping someone by odds are one of the types. Get close, probably will hear him mutterning whoom, whoom zoom or something like that as he does a good thing. We start where the typical RC guy thinks its to fast and improve from there. Most of this gang are competitive racer types. There are few that understand or can grasp the mind of a racer, except another racer. If somewhat normal, you may fantazize about a sweet young thing as most normal boys do. This bunch thinks in turms of prop size, rpm's and drag improvement, simply said how to go faster. Most everyone are wellcome herein, just try to understand who and what you are dealing with. Ohhh yea, we all tend to get a little over the top as we age. I'm way up there. ENJOY
And I think it is safe to say while on that subject, that the Laser Models Arrow - while not a top speed contender compared to a Q500 ARF with a blown Keith Black 427 running alcohol in the front - at least demonstrates that General Lee maybe-not-so-Stupid here is thinking in the right direction. Therefore I agree he should of course be welcomed with open arms, and fairly warned of two things; (1) continued talk of using engines smaller than the largest displacement listed on the box could result in us applying some discipline, and (b) that apart from being speed crazy, there are indeed a lot of folks here that know more than a thing or two about making your model and/or engine sing, and who are happy to share what they know.

So cast aside that .32 and do the right thing, man! Hail to the Brotherhood!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
mumblety-peg
My Feedback: (3)

I ran mine with a OS .46 FX. It was a blast.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM
still4given

OK, my recommendation for this would be the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUR78&P=ML]Tower Hobbies .75.[/link] Cheaper than the OS 55 and faster. Only problem is that they are out of stock until late March.

Blessings, Terry
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

55AX is not timed for speed.

I would suggest a OS .50 SX and a JETTstream muffler.

the laser has a thick airfoil so your top speed is limited.

But they are fun to fly.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 PM
bbagle1

I got 15,600 out of a piped 55 with a macs pipe and header on it. It was with an 11x6 or 7 apc, i dont remember which, and 30% nitro. That is pretty good numbers for a 150$ motor. If money is an issue you may want to look at the magnum 52. It is lighter than the 55, handles high nitro well, and loves to scream. Of course all this is relative, none of these engines make power like a jett or nelson, but can be made to run respectable numbers. I am pretty sure my magnum will break 15000 on a pipe with a 12x4 apc, should turn a 9x8 nicely.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
General Lee Stupid

The .50 w/ a JETT is more than I want to realy spend. Is there a better (faster) engine than the .55 for about the same price?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
still4given

ORIGINAL: General Lee Stupid

The .50 w/ a JETT is more than I want to realy spend. Is there a better (faster) engine than the .55 for about the same price?

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUR78&P=ML]Tower .75[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKF99&P=ML]Thunder Tiger Pro .61[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDXM4&P=ML]GMS .76[/link]

In stock form these are all faster than a stock AX.55.

If you really want speed, you really should consider some type of tuned exhaust. No matter what engine you chose, a tuned exhaust will make a big difference in speed.

Blessings, Terry
Old 03-09-2008, 02:03 PM
General Lee Stupid

If I get a .45 AX w/ a JETTstream muff. what size prop would you guys suggest?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

The Laser Arrow is big and thick so I would get a 60-75 as Still4given mentioned. You are going to want to swing an 11" prop. on that beast.

The 46AX and Jett Stream is more suited to a Whip or Phenom, but you are going to need HORSES on an Arrow.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Oh yeah, a K&B 61 Twister would be a great fit also!